Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's your favorite all around Garrett

Well...I've owned only one Garrett, so I would have to say the At Max.

I liked the mellow tones of the ATPro. It went pretty deep in my soil and the TID was pretty dependable. I sure did find a lot of relics with her too. Hmm... writing this is making me miss the old girl. I just might have to go buy another one. Darn you C.J.M.

Owned a Freedom II+ from the late ‘80’s, GTA1000 from the 90’s, a GTI2500 early 2000, and now the Apex. The GTI2500 is a great coin machine, but heavy for this old man. I enjoy the Apex the most; it’s so light weight. Once learned, it’s a pretty good detector for hunting old homesites, or about any purpose. I own 3 coils for it, and use them all.

Back in the early 80's I had the Garrett Deepseeker and I found a lot of CW relics with it. I had the 10' coil and the 4' Sniper coil with it. This was the old metal housing metal detector. This detector shot deep and was one of my favorite all time Garrett's. It was built rugged, was a dependable hunter, and was fun to use.

Owned and used many models since 1968. Of course I've owned a lot of different makes and models as well through the years, but I have had some favorite Garrett's at different times.

If I had to list my Top Three, they would be:

#3.. The 15 kHz GroundHog VLF/TR-Disc since '77. I found a lot with my that model, especially with the 7" Concentric coil.

#2.. The 50 kHz American S2 TR-Disc. W/7" Concentric coil. I used this mainly for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and it worked impressively well, but that was about '81 thru '84.

#1.. and by all comparison standards my all-time favorite Garrett is the Apex. I own 3 of them and keep the ripper coil on my most used Apex, the raider coil on my 2nd used Apex and theNEL 5" DD on my 3rd Apex while I'm hoping Garrett will produce a 4.5" to 6" Cconcentric coil for that model. I actually own 4 Apex devices, since my 'Loaner-Unit' for Family and Friends is also an Ape' with the Viper coil mounted.

The more I use the Apex, and the number of different challenging sites increases, the more I am impressed with the Apex field performanc. It is a very good general purpose detector, even for working the more challenging iron nail contaminated sites.

Monte

In water detecting the Garrett Infinium is my best of the PIs I have owned or own now. The ATX is better when the ability to tweak controls is wanted, but the ATX is way too heavy for me to swing out of the water for long. The Minelab Swing 45 vest helps when I use the ATX out of the water. I have all the Infinium's coils and they are easy to interchange to suit the area I am searching. Mounting the control box under the elbow in the water or hip mount out of the water is supper for a light-weight on the arm.
The Non-PI Garrett favorite goes to the ATPro for the same reasons I like one detector over the other: choice of different coils, the multitude of tweaking options and weight out of the water. Unfortunately the ATP is not as good as other brand detectors I have for salt water environment. Notch filter selection and 4 inch coil are the two reasons I am keeping the ATPro with other brand multifrequency detectors.
I have found that there is no one detector that can be considered the BEST for all the varied environments I detect in. Salt water vs fresh water; black/pink/white sand; rocky areas vs grass covered and open areas vs shrub covered areas; if searching for one specific metal or all types of metal all play an important part of the detector I choose for any given situation.

Won an Ace 250 at a hunt but after using it twice, I sold it to a friend for his son to use. I bought my Infinium new and still have it ten years later. Used it on the beaches and in the water in Hawaii and had very good results. Its a keeper..

Hands down, The AT Pro for dirt, dry sand. Park hunting with the 5x8 it's hard to beat. Salt water it's the Inferno. It's got the tones, can be mounted on the belt, chest or on the shaft. Another Big issue, array of coils that arn't hardwired in. Two top machines

My first good detector was a gtax750 and when I got that detector I started finding silver coins. I found 3,000 coins in one month with it. It still has a place in my heart. At Pro was unbelievable for me and I bonded quickly. I found so many Indians with that detector in the first year at places I had used FBS detectors. At Max had one of the best all metal modes of any detector I have used. I now have an Apex and it took me a month or so of heavy use to learn to love it, but I now am in love. It is very accurate and works extremely well in my parks full of modern trash. And finally, all of the Garrett pinpointers are the best. Propointer 11 if you love simplicity and the Carrot if you need a more adjustable pinpointer. I would be lost without my Propointer 11.

In my above reply the one thing I did forget to mention was the Garrett pinpointer. I listed my 3 top favorite Garrett metal detectors, but for a handheld pinpointer I'm very pleased to have one for each of my Apex devices. Each unit has it's own set of MS3 headphones so the detector the headphones and the AT Z Lynk pinpointers are all linked together for my pleasure in listening.

I gave my Apex a rest a couple of days ago and just grabbed the 15 kHz American S3/GroungHog to do a little coin hunting in the very Bottle Cap littered yard for a while.

This afternoon it will be back to using my #1 favorite Garrett. (y)

Monte

I'm probably gonna sell my Apex. It falses too much on deep targets. I dig several inches deep and there is never nothing there. The target id is rarely steady unless under 6" deep.

Back in the early 80's I had the Garrett Deepseeker and I found a lot of CW relics with it. I had the 10' coil and the 4' Sniper coil with it. This was the old metal housing metal detector. This detector shot deep and was one of my favorite all time Garrett's. It was built rugged, was a dependable hunter, and was fun to use.
I still have the Big Box coil for my CX3 power+ which is still performing quite well.
Have yet
In all these yrs to truly use it.
Love em both.

I bought an ACE 250 about 2008 when they where all the rave.

Couple years ago I got a great deal on a new ACE 400.

Few weeks ago I got a good deal on the new Apex.

I still have all three, and plan to keep them.

But just in case my wife reads this, my favorite better be the last one I bought!
Lucky for me it's the truth anyway.