Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wheat pennies, what to do with them. I have hundreds of them and was wondering what the rest of you do with yours. I keep thinking they are worth some

I keep all of them. I look for the key date coins as well and keep them separate. One thing for sure, they will not loose any value and one day when I'm long gone, some of them may become key date coins. I guess I'll give them to my kids and hopefully, they'll give them to their kids and so on.

I sell all mine on ebay, i leave them dirty mostly, list them as dug, unsearched wheat pennies, my last batch brought 12 cents a piece

I fill my album of dug wheaties the rest I put in a box...just still like them!

I watch for dates that I don't have in my Witman binder and have been filling that up. I then put the next best ones in flips. The rest I keep in a jar. They will be like an Indian Head penny in a hundred years. The grandkids can sell them at some point.

I have saved my wheat pennies over the past 30 years. I now have around three hundred rolls of wheat's and store them in a large wood box in my safe. The past few years I have been saving all my copper pennies, and any wheat's that are to bad a shape to be readable I have been throwing them in with my copper pennies. Don't know what I'm going to do when I run out of a place to store all these, or the Mrs. gets tired of them taking up so much space. Rick IL.

The modern penny is on it's last legs. We're about to get rid of it in Canada... and I'm sure U.S.A will follow. It just costs too much to make them. I like the gentleman's idea up top... selling them on ebay in bulk at 0.12 c/p ain't half bad!

Hold on to them. Copper has become pretty expensive and when they get rid of the penny, it will become legal to melt them down. Each copper penny is worth around 2.225 cents each right now! What I've been doing is taking my clad and buying rolls of pennies from the bank. I then separate the pre 1983 pennies and give back the post 1982 pennies. In effect, I double my money. If and when the economy crashes, copper pennies will become valuable as a payment as copper has value. Same with silver and gold.

Plus, you can really explode the value of a copper penny. Wanna know how?

Copper washers are very expensive. About 30 cents each. They are used for electronic equipment and other electrical needs. Drill a hole in a copper penny and it becomes a 30 cent washer!

Prep1957 said:
I have been getting 3 cents above 1930,5 cents below 1930.Key dates 1/2 bluebook value after grading.
sounds like ur selling to a coin shop, if you list them on ebay and list under metal detectors, you will get double or more what your getting, the LOWEST I have EVER got on ebay was 8 cents for mixed dates.....(lots of 40-50's) people who buy them are all detectorists, amazing what they will pay, blows my mind. I have sold around 2,000 now on ebay

Thanks for the tip will have to list like you said I have sold under coins have had mixed results.This coin dealer sells antiques also sometime we trade.

Goes4ever said:
Prep1957 said:
I have been getting 3 cents above 1930,5 cents below 1930.Key dates 1/2 bluebook value after grading.
sounds like ur selling to a coin shop, if you list them on ebay and list under metal detectors, you will get double or more what your getting, the LOWEST I have EVER got on ebay was 8 cents for mixed dates.....(lots of 40-50's) people who buy them are all detectorists, amazing what they will pay, blows my mind. I have sold around 2,000 now on ebay

Ya, but your a celebrity in the metal detecting community and your finds command a premium! I'd pay extra for your wheats than someone else's :please: :cool:

Jressman said:
Goes4ever said:
Prep1957 said:

Ya, but your a celebrity in the metal detecting community and your finds command a premium! I'd pay extra for your wheats than someone else's :please: :cool:
hahahaha yeah right! when my next batch is ready I will be sure to contact you :clapping:

As finderskeeper has said I save mine. I have 39 yrs worth. 75#'s worth. It takes 143 penny's to a pound and the last I have seen cooper is roughly $3.50 a pound but like he say's it is illegal so smelt them. Anything 1982 and earlier is 95% copper.

true copper pennies are worth a little over 2 cents each, but I got 12 cents for them NOW....how long will you have to save them before they are worth 12 cents each??? 30, 40 yrs??

I put the different dated Wheat Cents and other types of newer /common coins I've dug in Harris coin folders - have over 700 different dated cents, nickels, dimes and quarters in the folders now.
I keep any of the Wheat's and the other common coins that I don't need for the folders - in a large plastic jars.
If you take the time to build a collection out of the coins that you've found - you will learn a lot about coins in the process - besides it's fun !

Goes Forever,
What shape are your pennies in? I do find some nice ones around Cleveland, but many are very dirty and a lot of the surface is gone when cleaned. Before cleaning I can hardly see what they are or see a date.

Thanks, Bud Kaczor

Ohio bud said:
Goes Forever,
What shape are your pennies in? I do find some nice ones around Cleveland, but many are very dirty and a lot of the surface is gone when cleaned. Before cleaning I can hardly see what they are or see a date.

Thanks, Bud Kaczor
most of them I do NOT even clean. I sell em with dirt on them. I list them as "Dug, unsearched, uncleaned wheats"
in the description I say some are scratched, some have corrossion, ALL have dirt on them, mixture of years from 1909 to 1958