Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

which coil should i use.????

JOHNMARKHAM

heres my question, if one waqs to replace there coil on there excalibur 2 1000,would you replace with stock? would you replace with a sef? what size would you replace with and why??i may have to replace my coil and im looking for a better choice if any? please let me know what you guys think.
thanks
john

Your going to get a bunch of different answers to this one. I'll start. The most important thing is to come up with a coil that balances out hunting situations. Since I hunt junky beaches it can not be too big. I also like to cover ground on a hunt. So not too small. I go 10 x 12 SEF. See that was easy.

i just got the 10 x 12 sef for my back up excal i will try it this weekend and get back to you

On my GT I use a the 10 inch Tornado coil on a regular sandy beach. I use an 8 inch Tornado coil on a trashy beach loaded with iron and never had a problems and made good finds.

The 15x12 was too much drag in the water for my tastes, but I tend to swing a little faster water hunting than most. The stock 10" Tornado stays permenately on my water rig (the original shaft) for water hunting, but if I'm hunting out of the water I use my land rig with the 12x10. This summer I'll try the 12x10 in the water and as long as the drag is near the same as the stock 10" coil then I'll use the 12x10 in the water from now on. I suspect for my tastes the WOT would also be too much drag at the rate I hunt in the water, so that would narrow it down to stock, 12x10, or S-12. The improved coverage of the 12x10 covering the beach is a big plus to grid out areas faster. The 15x12 was even better and while it got better depth than stock in the sand, it did not on land for me. The 12x10 is getting deeper than stock on land and should in the sand too but I haven't tried it enough there to tell. If I was primarily a dry sand or open field hunter I would opt for the 15x12. It's lighter than stock if you remove the coil cover and use spray on bed liner. The 12x10 is lighter than the S-12 without the coil cover.

John I am not changing mine until I get a new one in the fall. But most hunters I have seen changed to a WOT and the ones I have talked to like them and would not change back. I will be back on the gulf in a couple of weeks and get back to you. Gotta love those Excall's. HH :minelab:

Goodmore said:
The most important thing is to come up with a coil that balances out hunting situations

:thumbup: