Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which coil would you use for 90% of your hunting if you only had these two?

Whitetail

Well guys, I only have the stock coil and I just got a brand new SEF 6x8 coil this past winter that I don't have any experience with on the Etrac. I've only used the stock so far with my Etrac for the past year. I only have one lower arm for now until I purchase another. So I have a choice for every day hunting. The stock or the 6x8 SEF? Which one would you guys hunt with and why?
I appreciate your comments guys.....Thanks and HH.

I have the same 2 coils and have actually been using my 6 x 8 95% of the time. Seems to hit just as deep and WAY lighter to swing for me. It also seperates great in trashy areas....I had used my 6 x 8 pretty much all last summer and thought I would try the stock one first time out this year the other day and it is a lot heavier and I honestly don't think it is any better than the small one. I had even thought about getting one of the bigger coils to try but I put the 6 x 8 back on and it's staying on.....lol Even in open areas the other day the stock coil is a hassel to go thru any type taller grass or around brush/trees. I guess it boils down to the type hunting a person is doing but for me I have the confidence in the small one and made my mind up on that the other day.....Try them both and see what ya like I guess....HH

I have them both as well. The stock coil is a good coil and probably gets an inch or 2 deeper than the 6x8. However, the 6x8 is lighter, gets better separation, and is easier to swing around stuff if you are in the woods.

I use both of those coils and you can't go wrong with either. I agree with the other comment that the stock coil provides about 1-2" of additional depth, based on my testing. However, the SEF is better at separation and finding the good targets in trashy areas. I usually bring both coils with me on hunts and sometimes switch them back and forth depending on the conditions. If the area is not too trashy or I would like to cover a larger area, I tend to stick with the stock coil. In a trashy area, particularly while running TTF, I would prefer the SEF. However, either coil would be suitable for 90% of one's hunting.

As said both are great coils. The 6X8 will make you go slower and hunt an area more thorough. That being said using the slower hunting method will make you appreciate the stock coil later when you use it again. HH :minelab: