Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White Whale - Seated Half !!!!

floodplaindetector

This one is for you Elmy. I appreciate the suggestions, conversation and added insight you have given me over the last couple years..
All finds were made with my Minelab Etrac at public city parks and schools over last weekend and a couple other ugly cold weather hunts. The weather was finally decent last weekend so I hit it hard as its been a long winter. It was an 11 silver, 9 buffalo, 1 Indian head, V weekend.

The 1855 seated half dollar was pulled at a small-town Minnesota city park not very far from the South Dakota border last weekend. It was about a foot deep. It was initially kind of a flat high tone and I thought it
may be a real deep screw cap. When I turned on the signal it gave me a cleaner higher tone like a coin so I was hoping but knew it could be anything that deep. The signal was in a very tight window in a junky area.
When I first saw it in the deep hole I knew it wasn't a walker so I assumed it was a franklin but that didn't look quite right either. It didn't initially register that I was looking at the reverse eagle side of a seated half until I picked it up. It only took me 20 years to get a seated half.
The pocket watch pieces came close by.

Another notable find I made a couple weeks ago was that 1908 William H Taft Campaign Fob. That was found at a 1960s School playground along with a few other old items including the sleigh bell and a 100+ year old silver dime.
My research told me an older building sat where the school playground is now so I worked that area slowly from multiple angles.

The small catholic Metal box was also an exciting find. I originally thought it was a broken padlock when I pulled it up. It felt heavy. When I opened it there was a little stack of coins in it.
There was a 1943 silver war nickel, 1944 wheat penny, 2 1960 pennies and 2 1962 pennies so it was probably dropped in 1962. The picture of it is when I first opened it with the coins in.

Thanks for looking!
Dave

Coin Finds
1855 o Seated Liberty Half Dollar
1942,1943,1945 Quarters
11 silver dimes back to 1907
3 silver war nickels (1943,1943,1944)
4 V nickels back to 1889
10 Buffalo nickels back to 1918
1900 Indian head penny
22 wheat pennies back to 1919
1973 Clad Half Dollar
2003 Sacagawea dollar

Other Finds
1908 William H Taft Presidential Campaign Pocket Watch Fob
Small metal box containing 6 old coins.
Gold plated ring
Earring - possibly silver as it had some depth and came up shiny
Part of lead toy gun
Jr Choir pin
pat 1929 valve stem nut
Pocket watch pieces
Heavy #1 tag
brass amusement token (probably 1970s)
Sleigh bell
Small padlock
Round blank brass item
Couple old keys
Worn dog license tag
SeatedHalfReverseRightAfterFinding.jpg
SeatedHalfObverseAfterPullingOutOfTheHole.jpg
SeatedHalfObverse.jpg
SeatedHalfReverse.jpg
SilverCoins.jpg
1908TaftCampaignFob.jpg
OldNickels.jpg
GroupShot.jpg
SmallCoinboxAfterOpening.jpg
Jewelry.jpg

This one is for you Elmy. I appreciate the suggestions, conversation and added insight you have given me over the last couple years..
All finds were made with my Minelab Etrac at public city parks and schools over last weekend and a couple other ugly cold weather hunts. The weather was finally decent last weekend so I hit it hard as its been a long winter. It was an 11 silver, 9 buffalo, 1 Indian head, V weekend.

The 1855 seated half dollar was pulled at a small-town Minnesota city park not very far from the South Dakota border last weekend. It was about a foot deep. It was initially kind of a flat high tone and I thought it
may be a real deep screw cap. When I turned on the signal it gave me a cleaner higher tone like a coin so I was hoping but knew it could be anything that deep. The signal was in a very tight window in a junky area.
When I first saw it in the deep hole I knew it wasn't a walker so I assumed it was a franklin but that didn't look quite right either. It didn't initially register that I was looking at the reverse eagle side of a seated half until I picked it up. It only took me 20 years to get a seated half.
The pocket watch pieces came close by.

Another notable find I made a couple weeks ago was that 1908 William H Taft Campaign Fob. That was found at a 1960s School playground along with a few other old items including the sleigh bell and a 100+ year old silver dime.
My research told me an older building sat where the school playground is now so I worked that area slowly from multiple angles.

The small catholic Metal box was also an exciting find. I originally thought it was a broken padlock when I pulled it up. It felt heavy. When I opened it there was a little stack of coins in it.
There was a 1943 silver war nickel, 1944 wheat penny, 2 1960 pennies and 2 1962 pennies so it was probably dropped in 1962. The picture of it is when I first opened it with the coins in.

Thanks for looking!
Dave

Coin Finds
1855 o Seated Liberty Half Dollar
1942,1943,1945 Quarters
11 silver dimes back to 1907
3 silver war nickels (1943,1943,1944)
4 V nickels back to 1889
10 Buffalo nickels back to 1918
1900 Indian head penny
22 wheat pennies back to 1919
1973 Clad Half Dollar
2003 Sacagawea dollar

Other Finds
1908 William H Taft Presidential Campaign Pocket Watch Fob
Small metal box containing 6 old coins.
Gold plated ring
Earring - possibly silver as it had some depth and came up shiny
Part of lead toy gun
Jr Choir pin
pat 1929 valve stem nut
Pocket watch pieces
Heavy #1 tag
brass amusement token (probably 1970s)
Sleigh bell
Small padlock
Round blank brass item
Couple old keys
Worn dog license tag
View attachment 24875View attachment 24876View attachment 24877View attachment 24878View attachment 24879View attachment 24880View attachment 24881View attachment 24882View attachment 24883View attachment 24884
WOW !........just WOW !
IMAGINE a seated half at the bottom of a foot deep hole, looking up at you is the funny looking shielded eagle .....the story is almost as good as being there....
Amazing amount of silver, nickels, 1908 presidential watch fob.....a cache !!!!!
The ultimate Joy of finding treasures perfectly explained details.......
Dave , your adventures are simply amazing !
Thanks so much for sharing with us !
You are sharing ...right ?

Holy smokearoonies!!!! Look at all those fabulous finds!!! The 1855 seated half is a beauty!! I bet you had to “sit back” and admire that coin before moving on. No fish stories here folks, it was a fight alright right down to 12” deep 😂 Then Mr. Dave hauled that whale to the surface and landed right in his hand 😂😂 Congratulations on a rare-to-find coin!!

Nice Job seated half is a big find nice finds Dave my father found his years ago near a cemetery in our town It's on my list for sure!
Mark

Seated half dollar, that's a find of I'd kill for, still looking for my first seated anything.
By looking at the wear on the coin it was probably lost around 1900.
I hope I’m not standing close by when you find one 🤣🤣😂🤣