Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites closing their plant.

On a positive note and a negative note I can share these thoughts.

Positive is that I have used White's Electronics detectors since August of 1968, and in that time I had one small issue with a cold solder spot on a new detector I bought in May of '71, an issue with a brand-new 6000 Pro XL which was quickly taken care of due to spot on the coil connector on the inside of the housing that had not had sufficient paint sanded way before installing the connector.

In both of those cases the detectors were quickly serviced by White's and back in my hand in a short time. Since 1968 I have owned and used more different White's Electronics detectors than any other brand, and that includes multiple specimens of some models. I have owned over five of the Classic 3 SL models, more than five of the Classic ID models, at least six or seven of the Classic IDX Pro Models.

I also owned several of some of the other Classic series units, and I have owned at least six of the 6000 Pro XL/XL Pro units, and I can't ignore my all-time favorite White's detector, the XLT. I now happily own I believe my 37th XLT.

During that span of time, there were many other White's models that I owned, used, and enjoyed without any undue design issues or needed repairs. I will add to that that I do not abuse any of my detectors or detecting gear. They are electronic devices so I pamper them and treat them like they should be and I do not toss them around or drop them like you could a trowel or a shovel or some type of a tool or Implement like that.

Now, let me get to the Negitive experiences. For a few decades, most of the search coils functioned quite well, until the latter 90s when I did have some coil failures with three different size coils that needed to have them repaired. The good part was that White's here in the US took care of them quick and efficiently. But the best part was that in a number of situations it left me with an unusable detector until the coil was repaired for it. Yes, sometimes I had a replacement coil, but on three times when I was traveling, I had to deal with search coil failures.

And all of those good times with detectors that served me well without an issue, we got the Spectra that ended up going to the V3 then the V3i and when the Spectra came out I had one of the first that I got at the factory and had nothing but problems. Repeated problems that were corrected when I took it to the factory since I lived within a reasonable drive and visited often, that called for replacing the wireless headphones trying to fix the detector twice, and replacing the detector with a brand new one all within a 2-3 week period. There were repeated problems before it ever got changed to the V3, and as a master dealer, I avoided handling that model.

It was a sign of some tough times at White's because a lot of things were being rushed to market before they were ready for consumers. The same thing we saw happen with the MX Sport, rushing it to market when it had too many glitches.

And before that model was introduced, I got one of the new 10" D2 DD coils which did not work properly. It was replaced, as were four more of the same coil. And some of those coils were bad on early V3 Series, and MXT All Pro models when they made it the standard coil. I believe they may have finally resolved that issue, but I had too many that were duds and I know several people who got that coil and had issues with it, right from the start.

I have two of my favorite White's detectors that both work quite well, and I feel they will continue to because they have not shown any symptoms of being bad. I refer to my XLT and the MX7. Sadly, White's finally locked the doors so all of us are left trying to rely on an after-market repair facility. I don't know who you would contact in the UK should it be necessary, but I would hope you have a good source should you have an issue with your V3i.

Monte

Has anybody got any information if they will be providing any repair services? Likewise, if they will keep their forum up? Perhaps, they will be posting a timeline addressing these concerns for their customers.
Thanks!
#1Leatherneck
I just talked with Todd from Whites. He worked in White's service department for 30 years. He is setting up a repair shop at his home and has a 3 year contract with Whites to repair and service their detectors. He currently has a lot of spare LCD screens, circuit boards and other spare parts. He is currently trying to set up a contract with Detech to produce a run of coils as they were producing coils for Whites. I also think he said he is trying to produce a run of battery holders as he mentioned he has some of Whites tool and dyes. It sounded like he is trying to grab as many of the existing spare parts from Whites as he can. He says he has many boxes to unpack and inventory currently.

His business phone number is 541-409-7263. If you call expect to leave a voice mail. It sounds like he is a one man show currently and is very busy. It took a couple of days to return my call and it was rather late at night when he did. Nice guy to talk to.

I just talked with Todd from Whites. He worked in White's service department for 30 years. He is setting up a repair shop at his home and has a 3 year contract with Whites to repair and service their detectors. He currently has a lot of spare LCD screens, circuit boards and other spare parts. He is currently trying to set up a contract with Detech to produce a run of coils as they were producing coils for Whites. I also think he said he is trying to produce a run of battery holders as he mentioned he has some of Whites tool and dyes. It sounded like he is trying to grab as many of the existing spare parts from Whites as he can. He says he has many boxes to unpack and inventory currently.

His business phone number is 541-409-7263. If you call expect to leave a voice mail. It sounds like he is a one man show currently and is very busy. It took a couple of days to return my call and it was rather late at night when he did. Nice guy to talk to.
Glad to hear this, thanks for that info.----Todd is a good man.

Read somewhere the White's factory Inverness/Scotland will close end of november 2020.
Read somewhere the White's factory Inverness/Scotland will close end of november 2020.
Its going to close end of oct still no word who cover repairs or things in europe

At least you can buy parts from them and they remain priced decently. Just got a pod backpiece for my XLT $10.

I was told thing will need to go to that centre ville electronics in usa will cost fortune not interested in us in europe now sad
Hopefully you won’t need any repairs needed ....... I have been detecting since 1976 and have owned ....... Garrett’s, Fisher’s, Whites , Tesoro , Xp , Minelab and have never needed repairs on any of them . I do wipe them down after detecting, remove batteries in my non detecting season Summer . (To hot and dry to dig). I keep them in my house when not using them . You will probably never have a problem. HH Tony

Pity we cant get some for repairs in uk as sending to usa will cost lot money plus trying find proof its been bought in uk or you can face customs dutys