Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

who runs single frequency?

bklein

I realized that I'm not reading of people running single frequency. Anyone?
Maybe it would save us beach hunters from digging foil and aluminum bits? Haven't tried....

Single freq wouldn't really work on a salt beach. There are ways to avoid those small bits of foil but you will be passing up good targets too.

I've put over 200 hours on mine and not run single frequency once. No need. I hunt old home and town sites in the SW.

Dean

I've hunted everyday since I received my 600. I changed frequencies during the first few weeks at YouTube's encouragement to try to ID iron and bottle caps...but I've now learned the tones and haven't left multi in months.

For most (all?) purposes, the Nox is designed to be used in multifrequency mode. As a single-frequency machine, it's somewhat mediocre, generally.

The was originally planned to let users pick the frequency that fit their situation best, whether that be multi, or one of the singles. Then the field testers figured out that the multi was superior to all the singles for every situation. IF there is ever a second gen of the EQX, I predict it will be multi-IQ only.

I'd agree, the single freqs on the Nox are very poor in comparison to a dedicated single freq machine, so poor i wonder why they even bothered to offer this option.
Always Curious said:
For most (all?) purposes, the Nox is designed to be used in multifrequency mode. As a single-frequency machine, it's somewhat mediocre, generally.

I can't agree with that statement , i think before throwing single freq to the bin tests should be done on planted coins and rings and try all the different frequency's. There must be some advantage to them i would bet..
Maybe who knows!

Jason in Enid said:
The was originally planned to let users pick the frequency that fit their situation best, whether that be multi, or one of the singles. Then the field testers figured out that the multi was superior to all the singles for every situation. IF there is ever a second gen of the EQX, I predict it will be multi-IQ only.

Agreed!
I use both the E-TRAC and the 800. Both, of course, are MF machines. They suit my hunting needs better than any SF machine that I've ever owned ( I've had quite a few!). Even the E-TRAC gets little use since the 800 came on board. I was wondering the other day about buying a different machine, just to try something different, and couldn't come up with a SF machine that I want to run other than, perhaps, the Deus with a HF coil ( never swung a Deus). I believe Jason is correct with his prediction.

I believe SF is on its way out and that most relevant manufacturers will offer some sort of MF unit in the near future.

Dean

The multi makes for a nice sensitive machine with depth similar to the Deus in my soil. I was hoping that the 20khz would have some depth with the 11" coil, but i feel it's quite weak.

I did extensive testing with mine on all frequencies, on test garden targets and real world targets. In every single scenario, the Multi freq worked best and gave the clearest signal with the most depth. I sorta think they only put the single freq ability on there just to say it COULD be done IF wanted. Multi is where the magic happens though, and whatever it does, it is pulling quite a few targets that previous Minelab multi freq machines have missed.

Say I want to hunt wet or dry beaches and don’t care to dig aluminum or foil bits 10” down but would like coins/rings 6”” or less. Would a single freq perhaps help?

The multi frequency feature is the reason I use the Equinox detector on beaches and in shallow salt water.
Otherwise, its just another "latest and greatest" detector among a pack of "greatest detectors".

Metal detectors are tools and when I need to use a single frequency detector I use the one I think is best suited for the task.
I dont always need a detector that will find a dime 15" deep.

bklein said:
Say I want to hunt wet or dry beaches and don’t care to dig aluminum or foil bits 10” down but would like coins/rings 6”” or less. Would a single freq perhaps help?

:crylol:

No.

I have taken spectrum analyzer scans of the EQ TX signal in various modes and multi vs single freq. Single freq is not really single freq as far as the EQ'sTX signal is concerned. Your typical single freq detector may have really a single freq TX and RX fed into analog filters for ID. The EQ has DSP RX that could provide more complicated results. It should be worth experimentation - looks like we've seen all there is to see with multi - maybe there are secrets hidden in single freq modes. I'm just sayin....

bklein said:
I have taken spectrum analyzer scans of the EQ TX signal in various modes and multi vs single freq. Single freq is not really single freq as far as the EQ'sTX signal is concerned. Your typical single freq detector may have really a single freq TX and RX fed into analog filters for ID. The EQ has DSP RX that could provide more complicated results. It should be worth experimentation - looks like we've seen all there is to see with multi - maybe there are secrets hidden in single freq modes. I'm just sayin....

I think that we'd all love to see pics of those analyzer results.

Agreed...I love my X-Terra 705 with the variety of coils for the job I do away from the beach but the salty beaches are definitely Multi-Freq (Multi-IQ, BBS or FBS) or PI territory. I haven't tried the Eq800 at the parks yet so the 705 might get replaced there are well especially with a smaller coil.