Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why Do High Tones Vanish..?

fastdraw

Here is my scenario... I want to hear from the "Experts" I'm serious about this..! I have only 11 months experience. But very hard core 11 months.

TYPICAL SCENARIO

My settings on the Nox-600
1. Park-2
2. Damn Good GB
3. Recovery 3
4. Iron Bias is 0 or 1
5. Volume 24
6. Sensitivity is 20-23
6. Every else is default.

I'm sweeping and I get a HIGH tone with a 25 VDI. Showing 4 Arrows

So I immediately switch too the next lowest recovery number on the Nox 600 which is 2. For better ID.

I sweep a little slower.. and get NOTHING..! and continue to get NOTHING.

No.. It's not my foot ware.

Why... Why... Why...?

Did you try the Horse shoe all metal button or pinpointing the target ? Higher sensitivity can cause higher tones . At least in some of my experiences . Try backing down the sensitivity and then bring it to max . It could have been a deeper target , I do a lot of experimenting when I am out , mostly in the woods around old stone walls and old homesteads . Tweeking the machine here and there getting to know the machine a little more each time. Give 5 recovery a try . I use the Nox 800 . Recently been toggling back and forth with 20 - 25 sensitivity . Gets chattery a little but amazing depth. Found a pendant or a medal of some sort with the Liberty Bell embossed on it at 12 plus inches in some mud and muck. HH

Did you try the Horse shoe all metal button or pinpointing the target ? Higher sensitivity can cause higher tones . At least in some of my experiences . Try backing down the sensitivity and then bring it to max . It could have been a deeper target , I do a lot of experimenting when I am out , mostly in the woods around old stone walls and old homesteads . Tweeking the machine here and there getting to know the machine a little more each time. Give 5 recovery a try . I use the Nox 800 . Recently been toggling back and forth with 20 - 25 sensitivity . Gets chattery a little but amazing depth. Found a pendant or a medal of some sort with the Liberty Bell embossed on it at 12 plus inches in some mud and muck. HH
Yes... I use the horse shoe button to determine masking. But the high tone just mysteriously vanishes... and so does the 25 VDI number.

So, you said you got a high tone with 25 VDI at recovery speed 3, in default Park 2 on the Nox 600. Did you get the 25 with 4 depth arrows on both left and right sweeps with equal intensity in both directions? And before you changed the recovery speed, did you turn 90 degrees and sweep again left and right and get the same high tone with 25 VDI?

Anytime I get a solid 25 or higher with your settings on a deep target (4 arrows) I make sure the audio is solid and the same intensity on both left and right swings. I then hit the horseshoe button and completely check the target from all 4 directions ( + ). If I get no response in one of more directions in default settings or get iron responses in even one of the 4 directions I may not dig the target. If the sounds are not solid in all four directions the target may also be on edge, or much smaller and shallower than the depth meter showed or it could be partially masked. Changing the recovery speed should not make that much difference unless it is on edge or partially masked.

Detectors just sound off giving a good high tone on the first pass but once you zero in on the target and the detector gets a good reading it now knows it junk or trash
But it can also be a good target laying on edge with rusty iron close by?
I will say this for the Equinox I have never had a detector that will sound off on a good target with high tones and when I dig the target it will have rusted iron in the same hole sometimes two or 3 pieces of iron.

Rather than checking with the horseshoe, check with 10khz and sweep in 2 different directions , if at anytime you see a minus number on the display it is deffinetly iron.

even if your getting 18 18 17 18 17 Each pass. , then a -2 number sneaks in ... it will be iron

Definitely iron in my opinion above are some great tips. Sube does a great job explaining the response from iron on the ctx forum. Rather than making adjustments to response work with the signal as you hear it. If in doubt dig it but slow down and check out the "signature" of the target before recovery, it's the only way to know!

HH Jeff

Fast draw, some say that going over a target too many times might de-tune the machine or sensitivity to that particular target.
It’s happened to me a few times.
What I do is step away and click on pin point then remove pin point back to normal screen. Now try the target area.
If you get a response then pin point and dig to see what you have. Use a pin pointer in the hole or use the machine to circle the target area for the highest response. It might be a junker and the machine eliminates it.
Enjoy the hobby try not to get discouraged -
Tony

If you have a really small target, or a small deep target AND you are in Auto Ground Tracking, the Equinox might detune over your target. If you did a manual or ground grab ground balance or just left it on Zero with tracking off, it won't. Using the pinpoint function on the Equinox is another great diagnostic tool. Deep coins will usually pinpoint fairly easily if they aren't being masked. Deep rusty iron, especially bent nails are much harder to pinpoint and seem to have one or more pinpoint spots and the speedometer will often not fill up completely.

I am confused as to why you are switching to a lower recovery speed to recheck the target.
Are you getting a TID of 25 while swinging back and forth over it or just now and then.
I have experienced getting a high tone while searching, but then when I stop to check it, I do not get a response or it is not consistent, I assume it is iron.
Slowing down to recheck as you say gives the detector more time to analyze the target and not get fooled.
I think when you slowed down to check, that is what is making the target disappear.
I would suggest for you to slow your sweep speed down while searching to avoid getting these types of responses.

Detectors just sound off giving a good high tone on the first pass but once you zero in on the target and the detector gets a good reading it now knows it junk or trash
But it can also be a good target laying on edge with rusty iron close by?
I will say this for the Equinox I have never had a detector that will sound off on a good target with high tones and when I dig the target it will have rusted iron in the same hole sometimes two or 3 pieces of iron.
Funny you should mention this statement... having a Sovereign GT, I have dug countless targets that were in a hole with nails and other bits of iron.. kind of discovered what was going on by accident one day when I got a very good signal from one
angle and a null from another direction.. it was a wheat penny in the hole with a nail, which I found first.
After learning this, I began finding many coins that gave this same type of response... up to that point, I figured there could not be many targets masked by iron in a given site... that was a real eye opener for me..
Now fast forward to the first outing with the Equinox... I went to a site that has been searched many times with many different detectors and got to the point we dug any kind of response we got trying to finds something else.
I began detecting with the Equinox ( remember, this is my very first outing with it) and within about 10 minutes, I got a nice solid 19-20 TID... I was surprised to get such a good signal, and dug down to recover a 1909 wheat penny about 6" deep with a large nail in the same hole.
I was in awe of this detector with that one find, and have continued to be highly impressed with it every since.

I
I am confused as to why you are switching to a lower recovery speed to recheck the target.
Are you getting a TID of 25 while swinging back and forth over it or just now and then.
I have experienced getting a high tone while searching, but then when I stop to check it, I do not get a response or it is not consistent, I assume it is iron.
Slowing down to recheck as you say gives the detector more time to analyze the target and not get fooled.
I think when you slowed down to check, that is what is making the target disappear.
I would suggest for you to slow your sweep speed down while searching to avoid getting these types of responses.
I'll have to agree that I do think I sweep a little too fast

Okay let me clarify..... I'm walking and swinging and I get the Hi-Tone with a 25. Then I drop the recovery one notch down from 3 to 2 on my Nox 600 and Reswing over the same area a little slower, and I get no tones high or low,.. and no VDI numbers. Like I said, the high tone and vdi numbers just vanish.!

I
I'll have to agree that I do think I sweep a little too fast

Keep that sweep speed slow and coil close to the ground..... Also keep the coil as parallel to the ground as you can... all these things will help eliminated those types of signals or at reduce them.
Plus it will help you find those good targets!!

my unsolicited advice, slow down your coil
speed and recovery speed. I feel you are catching an initial “glimpse” of a “false“ off iron.
Okay let me clarify..... I'm walking and swinging and I get the Hi-Tone with a 25. Then I drop the recovery one notch down from 3 to 2 on my Nox 600 and Reswing over the same area a little slower, and I get no tones high or low,.. and no VDI numbers. Like I said, the high tone and vdi numbers just vanish.!

Their is a limit on how slow you can swing and two slow and it will not detect.
Remember the wire to the coil is metal but stationary but if it flops and and moves to much it can cause a false signal.
so it take a certain amount of speed to be able to detect an object.
The higher the recovery rate the better the separation but their will be less depth so if you are going for deep items you may need to lower the recover rate.
Doug.

Yes... I use the horse shoe button to determine masking. But the high tone just mysteriously vanishes... and so does the 25 VDI number.
Jmaclen said it right did the target report when you turn 90 degrees to it
Non ferrous targets don't disappear (FALSES DO) recovery speed does not matter if it falses at 3 it well false at 2 okay. Since we have 4 bars showing this leads me to think its a surface iron target 5 inches in front of the coil. Try this nail 5 inches on the ground in front of the coil nail pointing at 4 o'clock we get a false at 22 to 28 in one spot perfect you say but move the coil forward so the nail hits the tip of the coil and signal is gone when we move farther forward the nox will null on the signal because it is close to the coil nox discriminates very well on surface iron and less so on deeper iron .
If we switch to the horseshoe mode and do the test it well show high tone and iron with each sweep at 5 inches as we move closer to the target we get all negative numbers (REMEMBER PINPOINT DOES NOT FALSE) if we check it in pinpoint it well pull you to where the target is at .
If there is a coin with the nail flat or on edge we well; get a good signal left and right but changing 90 degrees to it flat coin we well get a high tone mixed in with negative numbers if on edge left and right well be a good signal and 90 to it we well only get a high tone one way and negative numbers the other way.

As to the target disappearing won't happen regardless of recovery speed still there but may not hear if false is strong covering the high and not hearing the separate signals because of the slower speed all metal still well false just like your regular mode but ( PINPOINT DOES NOT FALSE) it well lead you to where the real target is . :thumbup: sube