Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why do I never find gold?

Smooth23

I've had my etrac for 3 years now, and I never find any gold. I'm always digging everything 12-06 and up, and dig an enormous amount of pull tabs and have good success with nickels. I air test gold I've found with other machines and it is always 12-21 or 12-22, which is right where pull tabs are. Is my luck ever going to change, or am I doing something wrong?

It took me three yrs of digging trash to get my first gold, and have only dug 5 since then.....I have been very lucky to get 3 gold rings this yr, but only hunt houses most of the time. None of my gold has come from public areas, all homesites. I dig anything close to nickel or pulltab area, all of mine have been in that range.

Your doing it right, if your digging those signals. I've found 2 pieces of gold, one a thin single man's wedding ring came in at 12:12 and the other was a small gold FOE pin that came in at 12:06. I almost didn't dig the pin, as it was in a field, the last signal of the day and I'd already dug a dozen 12:06 .22 short casings there. I'm glad I did.

The man's wedding ring came from a site where a church stands, but is not in use. I figured I was digging a shotgun casing or at the very least a nickel.

Keep it up, is all I can say. Gold is typically a surprise on any machine.

NebTrac

I just got my E-Trac, and every ET user I've talked to, said DIG, DIG, and DIG some more. You will find it.

I seem to dig one gold item up for about every 18 silver items , not including coins --just jewelry type stuff.
I have 15 gold items. They have all come between 12-03 and 12-13.
I'm due
When it comes to gold , location is everything.
At the shoreline you could easily dig 40 or 50 a year.
Inland fishing is exponentially slower.

And in that time I've dug perhaps a half dozen or slightly more gold rings. Very rare occurrence.

Gold, depending on purity, the other metals it is combined with, and size, mean gold readings can hit about anywhere on a metal detector. Which means you have to dig almost everything except iron. Given the ratio of junk items to gold items lost most people quickly become bored with trying to find gold. Except in the water and beaches I just don't think there is much out there. The smaller denomination US gold coins are quite small and also hit in tab/foil land. I've never found one yet. I've found a few big man's bands that hit like a copper/silver coin, and smaller bands that hit in the nickel region. I'm sure I've passed my coil over a few that I haven't dug, but would probably had to dig a pick up load of junk for each one I might have found.

found 2 gold rings this yr....only because I decided to chase a nickel signal.

took me over a year to find my first gold, just got my etrac just over two months ago found a gold ring the first or second day with it. It will come for you I believe, just keep dig gin those signals! good luck! HH

All great replies that I would agree with..:clapping:.One thing I try to do is read as many of these Forums I can to try to identify the users that seem to find a lot of gold...or any other metal you decide to target..It doesnt matter what rig they run, some only hunt inland parks and sportsfields, some are the beach guys, anyway, a guy can sort of follow their posts and find a person that is hunting in an area similar to what you have to work with, then try to duplicate their success in your area...you will find gold if you keep doing what you are doing, and develop a nose for the 'right' looking locations... for fresh drops, theres gold in totlots, on account of we are essentially 'tracking' women, so those small rings are foil/nickel/tab...Although Its a stupid shame for a person to be hunting a totlot with a high end rig!:rofl:

Simply put, the 'great gold losing' years were the 60's-70's and a bit in the 80's...thats when people spent some time outdoors and generally were married, had a bit of money and before all these junk ring amalgamations came out as popular wedding rings...also, class rings were gold back then too....so if the trash you are finding is from that time frame, focus up!

An old guy told me to "dig 1000 pennies, and dig 1000 pulltabs" it taught me several things, mainly how to read a site and the trash age and also how to get a very fast retrieval method...go and read a few of REVIER's and Tabmans and Goldstrikes posts...they hunt inland gold very successfully and share their insights in abundance.....you will see a pattern you can duplicate....Dancer found so far 5 gold rings this year all because he set a goal to hunt nickels!

Dont fret about it, Goldstrike and another buddy of mine who runs an E-trac (wades shallow inland water) who has so far this year found 9 gold rings, so it can be done with what is considered a 'silver' machine...it truly is location and focus on those gold tone targets..Good Luck! Gold is a cruel mistress once you got the fever, no cure but more cowbell!:rofl: Now if you gentlemen will excuse me, I have to go get my dose of some dirtwork!
Mud

I hate to trash up this awesome thread with a noob question but...

From the target ID numbers I have seen gold usually falls in the iron range of 12. Assuming this is true, would the E-trac stock coin program filter out anything with a ferrous range of 12? It looks like 12 is open all the way along the conductivity range but I'm not completely confident....

that statement is correct.

you must really be very new to the etrac......don't worry it gets easier. eventually you will tweak that pattern of what the etrac accepts/rejects.

Here are the two big secrets to finding gold. The first one is, It has to be lost where you are searching. The second one is, you have to get your coil over it. Once you have both those secrets mastered, you will find gold in a hole. No need to thank me. I find enough so I can share my secrets.

You also have to be where gold is most likely to be lost...Beaches, picnic areas, sports fields...anywhere where people are highly active...Also neighborhoods where folks actually have the cash to be wearing Gold

HH,

In the Pre cell phone days, if you lost a gold ring, you crawled around on your hands and knees searching...now all you gotta do is google up a ringfinder, and BAM! An old guy shows up with a heater within 15 minutes! Or, if its at a popular beach, theres generally half a dozen old guys out there at any given time sweeping the sand that you can flag down...None of this was available 40 yrs ago, so a ring lost then is still lost today...

Another interesting thing is the changing travel patterns of Humans...if you go to your local Craigslist, in Lost and Found, and type in 'ring'...the majority of lost ring requests are from the Mall, or a restroom sink at a restaurant, parking lot at the Mall, etc...very very few are lost in an outdoor setting that we would take advantage of....Also, its easy to trace a lost ring now a days, a fellow finds a fresh drop, most likely somebody posted something somewhere about it...None of this went on 40yrs ago...Heck, read the 'good deeds' section of this Forum....lots of examples of how fast a fresh drop is returned...giving no chance for a future score of that item.

Now a days, the edges of parking lots are a good place to find gold, especially if theres snow involved that gets plowed off...gloves come off to work the keyfob, and rings get dropped...just sayin' its tough hunting gold, and some places are not very obvious as a beach...
Mud

Finding gold rings/jewelry inland is just not that tough. If you rely on luck, finding gold on a very regular basis will not happen..You need to put the odds on your side. First you need to choose a detector that is well suited for finding gold. Weather it is analog or digital, You want to be able to make the correct settings and have a coil to match your hunting conditions. Also, just as important are the headphones, when you find the correct ones, (and you may have to go through a few pair) you will be able to discern the
signals more clearly, that is extremely important. Also your hunting patterns and technique for each site will differ. Gold jewelry can be found just about anywhere, but you will want to hunt the areas that have the very highest potential. For inland/city areas, I can think of three or four sites that are usually consistant producers. Have fun. Jeff

You have to dig a ton of targets to find gold on land in my experience. Doesn't matter what machine you are using. Des in Buffalo I've had the E-Trac three years, found awesome stuff, but no gold either.

Pure gold nugget, gold jewelry, gold ring and gold ring with diamond are different size, shape and percent of gold so id targets is various. My friend found some gold and told me to keep eye on 12/03 to 12/22 or something like that. I tried at Chicago Park and millions junk metal! For me is forget it and I look for old coins and gold can happen around or close to nickel. Better chance for gold is at beach or well known gold area in northern Calfornia or Alaska, etc.

I got a big 10k man's wedding band this summer and it rang up as 12:36. There was nothing else in the hole. I thought it might have been small silver at first till I saw the gold shining through. Small gold kids ring cane in at 12:12

I would also have to add that if gold is your main concern. E-Trac is not the best machine solely for that job. Just my 2 cents. Des in Buffalo