Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why Handheld Pinpointers Why not Inline

The reason I use a handheld pinpointer is that I have several detectors and it would be more costly to purchase multiple inline probes.
I also don't care to have more cables hanging from my machine when searching around brushy areas.
I have never tried an inline probe, but the handhelds suit my needs just fine.

Inline probes introduce EMI and cut detector's depth dramatically (google it, there are a lot of articles and videos about this).

I don't believe they introduce EMI as they aren't powered - turned off until the switch is thrown to use them.
BB

I see an awful lot of misinformation throughout this thread regarding inline probes.
I have Sun Ray probes on all my detectors that can use them. Both the XL-1 and the DX-1. In fact, only the Beach Hunter ID, Surf P.I., and TDI do not have them. The water detectors obviously because they physically can't and the TDI because I THOUGHT an inline probe wasn't made for it. But I'll get to that.
Inline probes do not add battery drain - there is no power supplied to the probe until the toggle switch is moved to the "probe" position. When that is done, the coil does not have power. It's one or the other, not both. For the same reason, inline probes do not cause EMI. They do not interfere with the detector any more than the big coil on the end of the stick interferes. When not in use, the inline probe does not have power. When in use, the search coil does not have power. The signal being processed by the detector, and heard through the speaker/headphones is coming from the source selected by the toggle. When one is on, the other is dead. Completely.
Wiggling of the probe when pinpointing - if your detector has a pinpoint mode, it is going to be an all metal mode. When using the inline probe, you have a choice - lock the detector in pinpoint mode, which is all metal, which does not require motion - or leave it in discriminate mode - also known as search, discriminate, AC, or motion mode. For the probe to detect a target in this mode requires motion, just like that big coil on the end of the stick.
Pulling the probe off the rod - the Sun Ray historically comes with two brackets to mount on the top of the rod. Just because it came with two, doesn't mean you have to use them both at the same time. Just use one. It will hold the probe quite securely and only requires one hand to snap the probe out. An additional benefit to using just one bracket - if you forget to switch back to coil, the motion of the detector will induce a slight wiggle in the mounted probe which will in turn detect the rod it's mounted to. It'll sound like you stuck your coil into a bag full of quarters and moved it around. When you get excited and try to pinpoint them, you'll quickly realize your mistake. Time lost - about 3 minutes the first time, about 15 seconds thereafter.
Weight - the entire unit - including probe - weighs ten ounces. Mounted near the control box, the effect is negligible, if it still bothers you, Sun Ray has an option bracket that allows mounting the probe to the side of the control box. Or, you can stick the probe in your pouch or pocket while you hunt.
Wires/cables - Ralph includes some pretty clear instructions on how to mount the control box to the detector shaft. Yet, I have seen some pretty inventive ways that people have come up with to make a mess of that. Properly installed, only the cable between the control box and probe "hangs loose" at all. I've never had a problem with it snagging on brush, ever, not once.
Loaning your probe to somebody else - ya got me there. But if you ever go detecting with me, don't ask to borrow my stuff, I won't ask to borrow yours. My philosophy is that if I borrow it and break it, I replace it with new. If I can afford to do that, then I just buy the new one for me in the first place. Other people don't seem to feel an obligation to do more than say "Sorry, it broke" and leave me with a piece of junk. I'll share information, hints, and techniques. I'll even take you to my favorite silver spot. But, I don't share my detectors, my wife, or my dog. ;) OK, I fibbed, I have a Prizm 2 for a loaner detector and a Bulls Eye II to loan as well.
Inline probes for P.I. machines don't exist - well, after paying the big bucks for a Garrett Pro Pointer, I have learned that an inline probe for my TDI does, in fact, exist!
inlineprobe001_zps8ad142f9.jpg

Designed by Eric Foster, this particular unit has obviously been customized, and I understand there is a switchbox available for these as well.
So, there you go!

Good post. Right on with everything I've experienced. If capability is the most important factor, inline probes are the only way to go IMHO.
BB

You have to stick them in the hole, and most of the time they are motion and so you have to wiggle them to get them to detect.
Its another connection in the coil cable,
They add weight,
There cable up to the detector,
There expensive and most are model specific,

I have a friend who had a brand new E-Trac with the whole getup, gave his pro-pointer to his girlfriend and one hunt he couldn't wait to get rid of the sunray inline and he ordered him another pro-pointer.
Different strokes for different folks.

Mark

I got the Dx-1 for my M6 having used a fisher inline on my 1270,well it like to of killed me the xtra weight of it .I either get a swingy thing,or lose some weight in my old age.Or get rid of the Dx-1,even the old inline fisher wasn't as heavy as this Sunray,and fisher had a coiled coil unlike the Sunrays.

Inline probes can be very good, but they would cost around 400$, now they have some problems. Garrett Pro pointer is good but design can be even better, biggest problem is very fragile Ferrite coil rod, can be braked with very reasonably low force. Never ever try to dig with Garrett Pro Pointer! Have disassemble both Probes and this is what I learn :tongue:

wireless freedom and ease of use, I doubt anyone would ever convince me that inline is leaps and bounds better than a propointer.

From the customer's perspective, obviously there's room for disagreement on whether a standalone handheld or an "inline" is the best solution to the in-hole pinpointing problem.

From a manufacturer's perspective, the verdict is in. To my knowledge no metal detector manufacturer markets an "inline" probe. Metal detector manufacturers have evidently decided that the "inline probe" business is best left up to aftermarket manufacturers.

We've got our reasons, they're good ones, and we're not going to debate them on public forums with people who don't understand the technicalities. When I say "we", I include our competitors on this one even though they haven't authorized me to speak on their behalf.

I'm not saying "don't buy an inline probe". I'm only saying that there are good reasons why metal detector manufacturers don't want this particular business.

--Dave J.

Dave J. said:
From the customer's perspective, obviously there's room for disagreement on whether a standalone handheld or an "inline" is the best solution to the in-hole pinpointing problem.

From a manufacturer's perspective, the verdict is in. To my knowledge no metal detector manufacturer markets an "inline" probe. Metal detector manufacturers have evidently decided that the "inline probe" business is best left up to aftermarket manufacturers.

We've got our reasons, they're good ones, and we're not going to debate them on public forums with people who don't understand the technicalities. When I say "we", I include our competitors on this one even though they haven't authorized me to speak on their behalf.

I'm not saying "don't buy an inline probe". I'm only saying that there are good reasons why metal detector manufacturers don't want this particular business.

--Dave J.

"People who don't understand the technicalities." You don't have a very high opinion of us "forum people" do you?
BTW, Minelab markets an inline probe. Consider your knowledge increased.

a4wdguy - are you sure about your statement? I believe you are thinking of the Pro-Find from Minelab. This is a hand held not an inline. The only inline probe that I am aware of for Minelab detectors is Sunray.
a4wdguy said:
Dave J. said:

--Dave J.

"People who don't understand the technicalities." You don't have a very high opinion of us "forum people" do you?
BTW, Minelab markets an inline probe. Consider your knowledge increased.

As a lead designer and engineer of Some of the finest detectors ever made I'm Pretty sure Dave J does !!!

U.S. companies didn't go in for inline probes but a few European did including Eric Foster on his more expensive pulse machines (such as the Goldscan) in the early 90's.

a4wdguy, Dave Johnson obviously knows MD design and marketing.

In fact, it's quite probable that his technical knowledge exceeds anyone else here.

His "inside baseball" posts are very much appreciated by many of us and are a major asset to this forum. Your snarky comments are uncalled for. :thumbdown:

And if you now realize that Minelab does not market an inline probe, then you can consider your knowledge increased...:rolleyes:

I agree. He's probably forgotten more things concerning md design than all of us combined. As an engineer buddy of mine once put it, "my employers have always made sure to keep me from talking to the pubic." He basically said engineers have a tendency to be a little too honest and direct while going into more detail than the average person can understand. Yes, he could explain why they don't make inline probes. However, unless you have a working knowledge of computer circuits, electronic, and rf engineering, amongst other things, you probably wouldn't understand most of what he said. This isn't to knock anybody. He just is used to discussing circuitry with people who have an understanding and background similar to his. The best way I know how to sum it up would be to recommend reading Plato's allegory of the Cave.

The trouble with that argument is that inline probes have been fitted to detectors in the past and third party ones can be bought today and many are really happy with them. I remember when Whites said that it was not possible to get good performance from a DD coil on a motion detector. Then Fieldmaster brought out the Searchman that was fitted with a DD coil and gradually most other brands followed suit with the exception of Whites for years. It cost them a lot of business.

I think the handheld and in-line have their places....... I use both. For convenience the handheld wins but I have yet to see a handheld that gives me target ID and get the depth of an in-line. If an in-line was made for the CTX 3030, I would have one and I know many others would as well.