Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why Handheld Pinpointers Why not Inline

midas888

I noticed most use handheld pinpointers. I have the Sunray X1 and DX1 inlines for my machines and the depth and DISCRIMINATION is second to none.
When I used the Whites TDI SL, I was forced to use a handheld pinpointer - Pro Pointer, Bullseye and Pistol Probe. Machines like the TDI, Etrac, CTX etc. that have the ability to see thru iron imeo require a pinpointer that uses the detector disc abilities.
My experience in the field had a lot of wasted time with the handheld pinpointers digging multiple iron targets (3 or more nails) out of the hole before I got to the coin, not to mention the limited depth of the handhelds.
When I use the Sunray probes I ONLY dig the coin saving me the time to go after more good targets. The handheld probes to me are pretty much useless. What I need to know is why do people like the handhelds? Have they ever tried the Sunray inlines?

One reason is a lot of guys have several detectors, to have a inline for everyone just may hit the pocket book a little hard. Along that same line a lot of guys change detectors pretty regular.

Ron in WV

There are also no inline pinpointers for some units.

I have one detector with the Sunray inline and several of the different hand helds. There's no doubt its capabilites are superior to any of my handheld units and I like the fact that it's always with the detector. However, as mentioned above, it is married to the one detector. I do beg to differ with the statement that the hand helds are pretty much usless. Try retrieveing a lot of targets with no pinpointer at all and you'll see that they do help a lot even though not up to the inline capabilities.
BB

n/t

I would have a SunRay inline on every machine if I could.

I do not use an inline probe and I am sure I would even want to...but that's me.
Not sure if I would relish the extra weight, and that wiggling the tip around thing I see in the videos would drive me crazy.
I can see where some discrimination info might come in handy, but that would also seem to take extra time, too.
I am very fast with my propointer and even if there are other bits of metal in the hole with my target, I can get them out of the way very quickly and recover the target also very quickly.
Depth is not an issue for me because I found a very easy and superfast way to supertune my Propointer quickly and on the fly and not only can I get the normal range of about 2 inches and can detune quickly if needed, I can also extend the range to 4-5 and 6 inches also very fast, from the top of the ground before I dig a hole or even with my hand completely in a deep hole.
That's why I use a Propointer and probably always will no matter what else is available to me..
Just my opinion, of course.

Price is also a factor. I would much rather have 120 +- Dollars invested than 200 dollars. Plus the fact that the inline requires you to keep moving the probe. That would confuse the dickens out of me.

Great post,I have been thinking about getting a dx-1 but I bought a Garrett pp when I bought my detector last spring. I also end up diggin every tiny bit of wire or small bits of metal in the hole. Do the in lines use a lot of battery power? Are they durable? I've dropped the Garrett so many times and it still works good. Does anyone know where to get the rechargeable lithium batteries for the vx3?

The main reason I don

In answer to Vx3 man. The Sunray inlines seem to be very durable in my experience and battery drain hasn't been noticable with my MXT which is where I have it mounted. I don't find the extra weight objectionable and several things I haven't seen mentioned above is the fact that it responds to the sensitivity setting and the pinpoint feature just like the main coil. I agree with Larry. I'd have one on every machine if it were available. However, I also use the Pro pointer and a Treasure mate hand held with other detectors and have found them to be a valuable accessory. I'm convinced pinpointers are very helpful regardless of which type and am a believer in if you like it, use it, regardless of other's opinions.
BB

I am with Larry. Don't let a handheld probe get in the way of a CTX 3030 midas 888. A great machine with or without an in-line probe. HH :minelab:

Simply put...I owned an inline pin pointer. Didn't care for the extra weight or wires on the shaft. Didn't care for using two hands to snap/unsnap it, thus getting the shaft of my detector caked with mud. Didn't care for not being able to set my detector down and walk over to help a friend pin point his target (without my machine that is). Didn't care for forgetting to throw the switch back and remember that I didn't only after minutes of hunting and not hearing a peep. Didn't care for losing the pin pointer when I sold the machine or used another.

Some line inlines because they can discriminate. Way I look at it when I bend down to dig a hole I'm digging any and all metal out of it, because there very well could be a coin behind some nail that I saw when sweeping over it with the machine and I don't want to leave the nail behind thinking it was making a false coin spike. Some like discriminating abilities but I don't want any. I want to hear it all with my pin pointer, which of course you can do with the inline by changing the mode on your machine though.

For all the above reasons, flip them on their head and that's why I love the Pro Pointer. And, even though I'm right handed, I keep it in a holster on my left hip, and remove, use, super tune (if needed), turn it off, and put it back in it's holster...All with my left hand when I want, and then don't have to put down the digger in my right hand if I'm in the mood not to. Simply put, I enjoy the portability, the light weight, and the independent ability of my Pro Pointer. And if it does break, I could easily make due with a back up Pro Pointer until it comes back from the shop (which I plan to do down the road, because I'm so spoiled now I won't hunt without it).

Plus, the Pro Pointer not being tied to my machine means I can throw it to a newbie and let him use it to find his target, and next thing you know he's probably going to buy one himself. :biggrin:

Bottom line, other than the other things above, is that I built a custom light weight shaft to drop about a pound and a half off my machine, and so less is more for me on the shaft when I'm lugging up and down ravines and ridge spines for 7 hours while swinging the coil. In stock configuration the machine would wear me down doing that. Not now, and it wasn't hard. But the point is my mindset is I scrounged for every ounce I could drop and don't want to add any.

hershey1 said:
I am with Larry. Don't let a handheld probe get in the way of a CTX 3030 midas 888. A great machine with or without an in-line probe. HH :minelab:

I've been using the Sunray inline probes for a couple years for my V3i and ETrac. When I bought the TDI and was forced to use a handheld, I had to dig every piece of iron out of the hole before I got to the coin that the Detector was telling me was there. With the inlines there is a lot less digging as you are only digging the coin not the multiple iron targets and there is a lot less chance of scratching the coin. With the 3030s ability to see thru iron like the ETrac, without an inline I see myself with the same experience I had with the TDI use of a handheld - needlessly digging multiple iron targets when all I want to dig is the coin. So, unless minelab releases the proprietary chip and connectors so inlines can be made, I do not see a 3030 in my future.

vx3 man said:
Great post,I have been thinking about getting a dx-1 but I bought a Garrett pp when I bought my detector last spring. I also end up diggin every tiny bit of wire or small bits of metal in the hole. Do the in lines use a lot of battery power? Are they durable? I've dropped the Garrett so many times and it still works good. Does anyone know where to get the rechargeable lithium batteries for the vx3?

The Sunray probes are fabulous. They use the same settings as the detector and make coin recovery quick and easy. The added "weight" other people talk about is negligible. A few ounces at best. They do use very little battery power and can take a beating. I have over 2 years use on mine with no problems and I detect every single day.

THANK YOU everyone for all your opinions. They are as varied as reasons of why people use one detector over the other. I was just baffled to why people choose handhelds when to me the inlines are better. I've learned a lot.

I have had both and prefer the inline on my explorers. the feature I like is that it is another coil, 1" in diameter and it tells me the same thing the larger one does. with the minelab I can teach the machine to recognize targets I want to find and by showing the coil the item and then saving it in the machine. the inline probe allows an easy way to teach the machine by passing the target by the probe instead of the large coil. Because I only hunt dumps and ghost towns, it is very easy to use when digging a large hole at a dump or privy. just wave the probe past the side of the hole and pull out the targets. and finally, i have never had to go back to my last target spot to retreive my probe. it is always on the unit. If I were worried about weight, i would not be toting around a minelab. I have an inline on both of my minelabs. thanks for looking.

They cause EMI on any machine I ever had them on. I love the idea of them but not for me.

Gotta get the iron out of the ground when digging. If you disc out iron with your inline you leave the iron there for possible masking, is the way I see it.