Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

why no Gold with my detector?

gunwolf

BECAUSE I AM LAZY! I have yet to find any gold with the minelab E-trac which I have owned since 2010... before that it was a ACE250 and before that some old whites machine I bought at a garage sale for $50... I found Gold with both the Whites and the Ace250... how come no Gold with the E-trac? because the technology made me L-A-Z-Y!!!!!!!!!!! with both the whites and ACE I dug every target, once I got spoiled with the E-trac;'s silver finds My brain shut down the mid and low tones. then when I got better with it I could almost call out what tones and numbers would reveal... or so I thought. for many years I walked right over good repeatable signals thinking they were junk... to this day I use a mostly open screen and I still catch myself ignoring... and then forcing myself to dig those mid tones... over the past few months I have dug so much foil, and so many pull tabs and ring pulls, beaver tails ect... and still NO GOLD! eventually every squirrel finds a nut.. and so will I, I just love the silver and the silver tone so much it's hard to re-train my brain to the mid tones...
so my moral to the story? don't get lazy, don't be an idiot like me, dig EVERY repeatable tone... you never know....

Gold is out there and usually when you least expect it. Revier posted some gold he found and they showed up in every category your detector has numbers for. All five of my gold jewelries were low nickel on the F5 and F75. The wife’s white gold ring shows as foil and unfortunately she was with me when I was testing things. Still trying to convince her its really 14k …..,👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨😂

BECAUSE I AM LAZY! I have yet to find any gold with the minelab E-trac which I have owned since 2010... before that it was a ACE250 and before that some old whites machine I bought at a garage sale for $50... I found Gold with both the Whites and the Ace250... how come no Gold with the E-trac? because the technology made me L-A-Z-Y!!!!!!!!!!! with both the whites and ACE I dug every target, once I got spoiled with the E-trac;'s silver finds My brain shut down the mid and low tones. then when I got better with it I could almost call out what tones and numbers would reveal... or so I thought. for many years I walked right over good repeatable signals thinking they were junk... to this day I use a mostly open screen and I still catch myself ignoring... and then forcing myself to dig those mid tones... over the past few months I have dug so much foil, and so many pull tabs and ring pulls, beaver tails ect... and still NO GOLD! eventually every squirrel finds a nut.. and so will I, I just love the silver and the silver tone so much it's hard to re-train my brain to the mid tones...
so my moral to the story? don't get lazy, don't be an idiot like me, dig EVERY repeatable tone... you never know....
I hear ya. And don't over look repeatable one way's either. While back I was spending a lot of time with a Tesoro Tejon on school yards and parks and finding a reasonable amount of gold, mostly small pieces. Got the brand new Fisher F75-LTD in camo and found a lot of very deep nickles ... but the gold went away ... until I realized the reason was the nut between the ears excluding certain target numbers ... yet yes, there is a lot more digging to do to get the rare lost gold pieces.

Had to come back to this……
tvr is absolutely right. I have a tendency to hit high one way signals that go away when I change sweep direction. Either go silent or go low, why? Yesterday I dug three stacked dimes that the F75 said should have been possibly a dollar size, then three quarters (two stacked and one slightly out of the stack) which read 2 numbers above the three dimes. 30c vs 75c that the detector said COULD be dollar size! Then the Kennedy Half that read what it should have, but three dimes read higher than a single half dollar. Why?
Back to the subject….. I have a habit of talking myself out of digging what I think might be trash. Iron falsing runs high numbers so if its not hitting 360 I walk away, my bad. Yet, I must be respectful of where Im digging because I cant leave it looking like an artillery range. I suspect you either just haven’t swept over a gold item or you have swept over a bunch and talked yourself out of digging. I hate digging zero but if you think about it you’ve probably thrown away $$ thinking its trash but in reality in scrap terms you’re throwing away rusty gold.
Now, I need to practice what I preach……….

One day I had just started hunting in a park with my CTX(the etracs 1st cousin) The first time I set it down I got a signal. OK this is either a nickel or a tab. Nope. Men's 14K wedding band. I've found a few gold rings with all of my machines and I am planning to gravitate more to jewelry because silver is getting much harder to find in public spots because quite frankly its much easier to find than gold which is why most folks look for it. You're not an idiot but you do need a system for gold which is more like treasure hunting. I saw a study where the guy who discriminates will come home with more than the guy who open screens 90% of the time. But open is about what you need for gold. I call it a treasure hunt be cause a gold ring especially with a diamond will be worth more than most silver many times over even if it take much longer to find but you can increase your odds. One thing I do in public areas is concentrate on areas where there has been lot of traffic but not overwhelming amounts of trash e.g ball field area w/o concession stands, abandoned swimming pools any part of an open field at a park or school but not too close to the concession areas, private yards have been sweet. Avoid picnic tables like the plaque. The etrac may be the best deep silver machine out there but its heavy w/o the best ergonomics so it will wear you out quickly after 30 tabs. Another good spot is fresh or salt water beaches. The lack of mowers means less slaw at least. I use a "jewelry" program that will still find coins but prefer to hunt for gold only under the best circumstances, nice day not too hot or cold easy to dig etc. Of course the best tip of all is to do some research and find a spot, swimming hole, school etc that predates 1962, the year the first tab welcomed us. Hope this helps. Paul

ALL great advice... that is why I made the post. I have just started digging the good one way signals again ( I used to all the time) most don't pinpoint so I have to use the wiggle out method. Yesterday while out with Matt we decided to hit a area used for small concert gatherings and look mainly for gold... a few pull tabs and one nickel each we decided to test out machines. Matt took off his 14K gold necklace which also holds a Gold piece (pendant) the size of a penny. the Nox 800 picked up the necklace around 2 or 3 I think he said and the pendant at 12. I then swung the e-trac (24-35 disc out for iron )over the chain and got no signal ???? moved it and tried again... I then hit quick mask(open screen) and the necklace hit 27-45????? why the high ferrous number is beyond me. I then swung over the pendant and it hit a nickel number 12-13. I dig alot of 12-12 and 12-13,14,15 targets. so when gold hunting I may switch to a open screen and use TTF... I have always used this with the E-trac as a "secret weapon" in certain areas, but lately have been complacent with just silver hunting with tones....that high silver squeal is mentally addicting!

You mentioning the results on that gold necklace reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago.
I was searching a field at a school with my Sovereign and looking mostly for nickels since the high conductor signals were very scarce after many trips there.
I found a few nickels and got over a nickel signal and just under the grass or tangled in it was a small 14 k ankle bracelet with 4 little heart charms on it.
I thought it was odd that this piece read as high as it did and laid it on the ground and when I swung the coil over it, I did not get any signal at all.
I went back to where I found it and got another nickel signal. I probed the ground and found a nickel that was laying right with the bracelet.
If not for the nickel I would have never known that bracelet was there.
I tested it with my Equinox and it reads 2.
I have to say most of my gold has been found with a PI detector while water hunting fresh and saltwater area.
These nice TID detectors are great machines, but we are probably leaving plenty of gold in the ground than we realize.

If you throw junk on the ground, cement slab with no rebar, pavement, cardboard, etc. and put a coin amongst them it will not take long to see how one way signals and bad VIDs are created. I know when I started detecting with a Fisher F2 I was convinced that I had only left trash in the ground because the numbers hardly varied on what I dug plus I only dug numbers that said "coin". I found out that what I dug was not always what I thought it was. I never found out what I missed because I didn't dig it. I guess it all comes down to the fact that we are the ones who discriminate, the detector just reports a signal that can be influenced by many variables. I know I have discriminated out items with detectors that have no VID numbers even though the detectors said that something was there. Did that allow me to find all the goodies and leave the baddies? I don't think so!

Some of my best gold rings came up as junk or pull tabs, i have coffee cans full of pull tabs so you have to dig them, 10 gold rings so far this year and 12 for last year that means a lot of walking and digging, most were on the beach, the rest were in parks

ALL great advice... that is why I made the post. I have just started digging the good one way signals again ( I used to all the time) most don't pinpoint so I have to use the wiggle out method. Yesterday while out with Matt we decided to hit a area used for small concert gatherings and look mainly for gold... a few pull tabs and one nickel each we decided to test out machines. Matt took off his 14K gold necklace which also holds a Gold piece (pendant) the size of a penny. the Nox 800 picked up the necklace around 2 or 3 I think he said and the pendant at 12. I then swung the e-trac (24-35 disc out for iron )over the chain and got no signal ???? moved it and tried again... I then hit quick mask(open screen) and the necklace hit 27-45????? why the high ferrous number is beyond me. I then swung over the pendant and it hit a nickel number 12-13. I dig alot of 12-12 and 12-13,14,15 targets. so when gold hunting I may switch to a open screen and use TTF... I have always used this with the E-trac as a "secret weapon" in certain areas, but lately have been complacent with just silver hunting with tones....that high silver squeal is mentally addicting!
Guy wolf, on my Explorer II chains come up with high iron numbers, numbers we wouldn‘t dig normally.
On my Now chains don’t come in as 2 or 3 in either beach or park, they come in higher.
Tony