Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

why would you pick the 600?

nagant

If your main interest is silver wouldn't the 600 be a good choice for yards, parks and overgrown area's? It still has 20 & 40 kHz in multi-IQ according to this statement below the frequency graph on their site. "20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800." I don't see a big gain for the 800 unless you do beaches and maybe nugget hunting. I know it's to early for this but that quote got me thinking, sorry!

Obviously, not everyone wants to put out the extra money...... especially if they pay for their machines by the change they pick up at the parks. Location will have a lot to do with their decision too....... as a beach hunter id spent the xtra money..... after we find out more how it works.... or doesnt. If you main interest is silver....... keep your explorers lol.

Nagant : You make a interesting point here. I am a salt water hunter and never venture into the dry sand. Bluetooth in chest deep water would do me no good so I would always be using hard wired-phones no matter if I was on damp sand, in the wash or chest deep. Not a nugget hunter so it makes since that the 600 would do all I need. I am still hung up on the phrase that the Equinox handles salt ALMOST as well as the CTX & eTrack. Multi-IQ 5,10,15,20,&40 for the beaches all I need.

You're making suppositions on partial information. You DONT know that the 600 or even 800 is using those highest freqs in the multi mode. They probably wont even tell you that after release. Like every other option in life, always pick the best you can afford because you dont know what the future holds.

I mainly hunt for silver, but I'm getting the 800. I have some old sites (well, old for my area) that are very likely hiding gold. Why should I limit myself?

I agree with Jason. We don't know yet how that extra Gold Mode + the two higher frequencies will perform.
For all we know the Gold Mode Multi might perform much better on bad ground compared to the other modes.
The wireless headphones and WM-8 wireless module that come with the 800 make the decision much easier too.
I can't imagine why you wouldn't want all the extra features unless you just can't afford them.

I never once considered getting the 600 before putting in my pre order.

Bryan

Jason, What I do know is a single frequency will not work on my salt beach. As I said, I am a water hunter not a dirt digger so by your own reasoning the 600 would be the smarter choice for me. If neither use the higher frequency in Multi- IQ then I would loose either way. I also own FBS and BBS and the strongest PI out there so this is more of a whim than anything since none of us know the truth.

Greg (E.Tn) said:

Versatility...precisely. As long as it's in the budget,but for what is likely the difference in price one may be wise to just save for the 800 if it's not in the budget at the time of release.
After finding 5 Mercs,a Rosie and a 1928 Stander with the CTX in the last 2 days,I'm hoping the Equinox comes with similar abilities,albeit not the EXACT same...

\"Carolina\" said:
Jason, What I do know is a single frequency will not work on my salt beach. As I said, I am a water hunter not a dirt digger so by your own reasoning the 600 would be the smarter choice for me. If neither use the higher frequency in Multi- IQ then I would loose either way. I also own FBS and BBS and the strongest PI out there so this is more of a whim than anything since none of us know the truth.

So you NEVER hunt the dry sand? If you do, the higher freqs would be better. Why would you limit your options as long as money wasn't the limit? I wouldn't recommend for anyone to buy a higher model if you can't easily afford it.

Well, quite frankly dry sand is rough on my ankles and I don't enjoy it. I have friends that hunt the dry sand and mostly pocket change show up and lots of trash. I have found from the damp sand to neck deep is where most the gold is found. I also do this as a hobby, for enjoyment and those that know me know 75 to 100 gold rings a year is my average. Also those that know me know I am single and own a electrical contracting co. So money is no object. I own enough detectors to do the job needed it's just like a monkey on my back wanting to buy more. The 600 would be all I would buy if that. Hope you can scrape up enough change to buy your 800. Wish you lots of luck.

\"Carolina\" said:
Well, quite frankly dry sand is rough on my ankles and I don't enjoy it. I have friends that hunt the dry sand and mostly pocket change show up and lots of trash. I have found from the damp sand to neck deep is where most the gold is found. I also do this as a hobby, for enjoyment and those that know me know 75 to 100 gold rings a year is my average. Also those that know me know I am single and own a electrical contracting co. So money is no object. I own enough detectors to do the job needed it's just like a monkey on my back wanting to buy more. The 600 would be all I would buy if that. Hope you can scrape up enough change to buy your 800. Wish you lots of luck.

Thats why options are great, people can choose what works best for them. 75-100 gold rings a year, I'm jealous!

I have three friends that score over 100 gold rings consistently every year. We all use the Excalibur chest deep. They do hunt five days a week on average and we do live in a resort city. Most of the rings come from old beaches from back in the 20's thru 50's. Research research research. Some do not even appear to be a beach at this time, but the gold is still there. Wish you all good luck and get off the dry sand and into the water.

Beyond my capabilities, Carolina -- which is why you find 'em, and I don't! LOL!

I could even see wading out to waist deep or so in FRESH water, on a calm day, where I could see my coil in the water, mark the spot under the coil where my target is located, and then scoop it. But in the OCEAN? Waves knocking me around, and filling my hole with sand before I can even pull the scoop out of the water???

Beyond my capabilities!

Steve

The Minelab ad for the Equinox shows the 600 to have 4 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, Multi), and the 800 the have 6 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, 20kHz, 40kHz, Multi).

In addition the 600 says wired headphones supplied and the 800 says Bluetooth Headphones and WM 08 Wireless Module Supplied.

IMO those additions are worth the extra $250 unless you simply can't afford it. I'd rather have those options available even if not used regularly, than need one and not have it.

I don't thing most experienced detectorists would pick the 600 but I'm sure that theres lots of folks that are interested in the hobby but the extra money makes a difference. I think the 600 is aimed more at the entry level folks.

Looks like you will have to use the supplied headphones if they are hardwired. That would stink. Also you cant take it underwater with bluetooth or wm08. Hopefully this will be different.

I am with Carolina on this one being a wet sand beach hunter primarily. Multi IQ 5 - 40 kHz simultaneous for saltwater beaches is peaking my interest. The 600 with the larger 15" inch coil may be the ticket for coverage on saltwater beaches at low tide. If the 15" coil adds some depth that would be a bonus. The CTX 3030 with 17" coil is a beast on depth on saltwater beaches but tough to swing for 5+ hours IMO. Going to wait on pricing for coils, waterproof headphones and some more user feedback...especially saltwater use. It could be my new travel detector being so light and easy to break down.

The reason I am going with the 800 it is better to have it just in case I need it but if you go the 600 route you cant do that unless you buy a whole new machine.

Might be a silly question, but will a wireless detector except wired head phones?