Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will any headphone with 1/8" plug work with the nox 600?

Goes4ever

I want a spare pair in case the ones that come with it break, will any with 1/8" plug work? if not is there something special I need?

Yes, any will work, BUT, there's a tiny caveat...

If you plug ANY headphone into the WM08, no problem.

If you plug ANY headphone into the machine itself, it will work, but it will not shut off the external speaker on the unit. You need a 1/8" MONO to 1/8" STEREO adapter (or 1/8" mono to 1/4" stereo, if you want to use 1/4" headphones) in order to shut off the external speaker.

By the way, if you are interested in a pair of Bluetooth headphones that are identical to the ones Minelab includes with the 800, for cheap, let me know. I can give you some info for that, as well.

Steve

sgoss66 said:
Yes, any will work, BUT, there's a tiny caveat...

If you plug ANY headphone into the WM08, no problem.

If you plug ANY headphone into the machine itself, it will work, but it will not shut off the external speaker on the unit. You need a 1/8" MONO to 1/8" STEREO adapter (or 1/8" mono to 1/4" stereo, if you want to use 1/4" headphones) in order to shut off the external speaker.

By the way, if you are interested in a pair of Bluetooth headphones that are identical to the ones Minelab includes with the 800, for cheap, let me know. I can give you some info for that, as well.

Steve
I have the 600 and I do not need anything fancy. just a backup pair. I am not overly technical so what does this part mean? You need a 1/8" MONO to 1/8" STEREO adapter (or 1/8" mono to 1/4" stereo, if you want to use 1/4" headphones)

Yes, just as you said -- 1/8" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter for 1/8" headphones.

My opinion, as it is SO hard to find adapters that will work (because the jack on the Equinox -- and on the WM08 is RECESSED, and so many adapters won't fit), would be for you to get a set of Bluetooth wireless headphones. Then, you could use those as your primary, and the wired ones as your backup...

I will try to find you an adapter cable that might work...

Steve

It is kind of confusing, Goes4ever. If you would like to chat on the phone, send me a PM and we can exchange numbers and chat on the phone. It's easier to explain it all in person. You have MANY options, between the WM08, the Bluetooth headphone capability, a pair of wired 1/8" headphones, etc. etc. etc. The most DIFFICULT option, is wired headphones, believe it or not, because of the proprietary adapter Minelab chose to use. They will eventually come out with the proper adapter cable as an accessory, but until then, there are few "aftermarket" options that will fit...

Bluetooth headphones are honestly the best option...aptX Low-Latency ones, specifically. I can help you with that...

Steve

I don't currently have a 600. But I can plug my set of Koss "mini" stereo headphones (with 1/8" plug) directly into my 800 and they work well. AND they shut off the external EQUINOX speaker. :shrug: JMHO HH Randy

Randy --

Thanks for that info. Now I am really confused. Apparently, some 1/8" stereo jacks shut off the external speaker on the unit, some don't...? I KNOW that 1/8" MONO jacks will shut it off, as I have tested them. But, folks have been saying that you can't use a stereo 1/8" jack or the external speaker will not shut off...

Time for some experimenting.

Steve

OK, here's the deal.

I did some checking.

I had never tried "wired" 1/8" stereo headphones on my machine. Only a 1/8" stereo ADAPTER. So I just tried two different pair of 1/8" headphones, the kind that work on a smartphone. Both pairs worked on the Equinox 800 -- they shut off the speaker, and sent sound to the headphones. And, Digger's pair worked, too. SO -- to answer your original question, goes4ever, it looks like any (or at least many) 1/8" headphones WILL work properly.

What WON'T work, is that 1/8" stereo male adapter I mentioned. I was wanting to be able to run my SunRay Pro Gold headphones, as a backup option, so I bought a 1/8" stereo male to 1/4" stereo female adapter so I could use them with the Equinox. However, I found that using that adapter, it would send sound to the headphones, but would NOT shut off the external speaker. After asking around, I was told that a 1/8" MONO male was what was needed to shut off the external speaker. And, that is just like the CTX -- you need a MONO male to STEREO female jack, to run your favorite set of non-Minelab headphones on the CTX, if you want to shut off the external speaker. SO, since I verified that the stereo ADAPTER would not shut off the speaker on the Equinox, I incorrectly assumed that -- like the CTX -- you would have the same issue with the headphones. In other words, you'd need EITHER the Minelab headphones designed for the Equinox specifically (just as you need ones designed for the CTX specifically), OR you'd need that 1/8" mono male to stereo female adapter -- if you want the speaker shut off. Turns out, the Equinox is not exactly like the CTX. It's similar, in that a 1/8" stereo ADAPTER won't shut off the external speaker (at least, the one I have won't), BUT, it's different in that it appears that any (or at least some) headphones with a 1/8" stereo jack WILL shut off the external speaker.

CONFUSING...

...and all caused by Minelab insisting on using a proprietary jack -- WHICH they have yet to make an adapter available for...

Steve

What I used was the one I had made for the CTX3030 and used a 1/8 to 1/4 from the headphone jack on the Equinox. I tried just the 1/8 to the 1/4 and pug in my headphones, but didnt work, so added the adapter cord I made for the CTX 3030 and it worked.
The reason I had to try it was to see if any of my corded headphones were louder for me than the wireless, wireless won out by a little.

Rick

sgoss66 said:
OK, here's the deal.

I did some checking.

I had never tried "wired" 1/8" stereo headphones on my machine. Only a 1/8" stereo ADAPTER. So I just tried two different pair of 1/8" headphones, the kind that work on a smartphone. Both pairs worked on the Equinox 800 -- they shut off the speaker, and sent sound to the headphones. And, Digger's pair worked, too. SO -- to answer your original question, goes4ever, it looks like any (or at least many) 1/8" headphones WILL work properly.

What WON'T work, is that 1/8" stereo male adapter I mentioned. I was wanting to be able to run my SunRay Pro Gold headphones, as a backup option, so I bought a 1/8" stereo male to 1/4" stereo female adapter so I could use them with the Equinox. However, I found that using that adapter, it would send sound to the headphones, but would NOT shut off the external speaker. After asking around, I was told that a 1/8" MONO male was what was needed to shut off the external speaker. And, that is just like the CTX -- you need a MONO male to STEREO female jack, to run your favorite set of non-Minelab headphones on the CTX, if you want to shut off the external speaker. SO, since I verified that the stereo ADAPTER would not shut off the speaker on the Equinox, I incorrectly assumed that -- like the CTX -- you would have the same issue with the headphones. In other words, you'd need EITHER the Minelab headphones designed for the Equinox specifically (just as you need ones designed for the CTX specifically), OR you'd need that 1/8" mono male to stereo female adapter -- if you want the speaker shut off. Turns out, the Equinox is not exactly like the CTX. It's similar, in that a 1/8" stereo ADAPTER won't shut off the external speaker (at least, the one I have won't), BUT, it's different in that it appears that any (or at least some) headphones with a 1/8" stereo jack WILL shut off the external speaker.

CONFUSING...

...and all caused by Minelab insisting on using a proprietary jack -- WHICH they have yet to make an adapter available for...

Steve
thank you for all the info...........looks like I will have to just try some!!!

Goes4ever said:
Steve I have the 600 and I do not need anything fancy. just a backup pair. I am not overly technical so what does this part mean? You need a 1/8" MONO to 1/8" STEREO adapter (or 1/8" mono to 1/4" stereo, if you want to use 1/4" headphones)
Any 1/8" should work. If the speaker dont shut off either the plug is not snapping in place, designed wrong or out of
tolerance. The tip end it what acculates the switch. EVERY thing I have worked on needs it snapped in place NOT just so you hear
sound in the phones.
Recessed connections can keep the male from snapping in especially using a 1/4" adapter. ( 1/4 male to 1/8 male).
I would NOT use a 1/4 to 1/8 typical adapter that is about 2" long. Its sticking out & WILL stress the female end. This can
lead to a very expensive repair. Use a cable type adapter & maybe secure it with a wire tie so it CANT be stressed or pulled at.

HH Tom
C U at BONE !
LFOD !

Maybe I am confused, if you don’t have WM8 wireless module; can you still go wir Bluetooth. The 600 does not come with module, but I assume you can still go Bluetooth. I hope I am understanding this.

Hey Steve, Sounds like (no pun intended) your findings are similar to mine. I'd been using the wireless headphones, or the wireless module with my "warm weather" small 1/8" plug headphones, for.;...well...... a long time. Both work well and shut off the detector's speaker. Today, just for giggles, I tried connecting my Gray Ghosts directly to the EQUINOX, using a right angle 1/8" male stereo adapter to the 1/4" jack. Lo and behold......it didn't work. To get the Gray Ghost NDT's working while being wired to the EQUINOX, I had to plug the right angle 1/8" adapter into the detector's output jack, connect the 1/4" plug of this adapter into the 1/4" jack of an adapter that I had made to use my Gray Ghosts on the CTX, then plug the 1/4" plug of the Gray Ghosts into the jack of the CTX style adapter. So it goes..... Equinox detector jack.......1/8" right angle plug of Hosa adapter......6" cord........1/4" jack of Hosa adapter.......1/4"plug of CTX adapter......3"cord......1/4" jack of CTX adapter.......1/4" Gray Ghost plug.......! It worked....it shuts off the speaker.....and is sucks.

I'll use the wireless mod or the summertime headphones for the next 6 months. That will give me time to make a "shortened" version of the conglomeration I have assembled now. But at least I can see what needs to happen to get the GG NDTs to work with the EQUINOX. HH Randy

Ok, now I am confused. I use Rat headphones on my CTX either direct to machine or wireless module without problems. The Equinox wireless headphones are to uncomfortable for me to wear longer than a couple of hours. Equinox module has 1/8” pin only so if I use this adapter will I be able to use the Rat’s with EQ module?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MHE100.5--hosa-mhe-100.5-6-inch-1-4-inch-f-rt-angle-1-8-inch-mini-adapter?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3274408775&rkg_id=0&product_id=MHE100.5&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%2520-%2520Core%2520-%2520Accessories&adgroup=Accessories%2520-%2520Cables&placement=google&adpos=1o13&creative=249895767051&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjwlIvXBRBjEiwATWAQIs0qiDInXacuDDuGBYxmTrBOToSLO67C6DiQBuG3k2_MJZ6MhTIP-BoCIVEQAvD_BwE

smkunder said:
Maybe I am confused, if you don’t have WM8 wireless module; can you still go wir Bluetooth. The 600 does not come with module, but I assume you can still go Bluetooth. I hope I am understanding this.

YES, Steve.

If you don't have a wireless module, you CAN still go Bluetooth. The wireless module is for people who have a specific set of "wired" headphones that they like, and want to use with the Equinox (but don't want to be tethered to the machine directly, so they plug into the WM08 wireless module instead, which they can then stick in their pocket, clip on their hat, whatever...i.e. the WM08 allows you to use wired headphones, but be "wireless" from the machine to the module).

BUT -- this is all completely separate from going Bluetooth. YES, if you have a pair of Bluetooth headphones, you can pair them directly with the Equinox, 600 OR 800. I would recommend AT LEAST aptX (for reduced latency/delay), but PARTICULARLY aptX-Low Latency specifically, for essentially imperceptible latency/delay between the machine and the phones. I can help you get a set of phones IDENTICAL to those that come with the 800, but without the Minelab label, for a GREAT price, if interested. (PM me).

Steve

taltexan said:
Ok, now I am confused. I use Rat headphones on my CTX either direct to machine or wireless module without problems. The Equinox wireless headphones are to uncomfortable for me to wear longer than a couple of hours. Equinox module has 1/8” pin only so if I use this adapter will I be able to use the Rat’s with EQ module?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MHE100.5--hosa-mhe-100.5-6-inch-1-4-inch-f-rt-angle-1-8-inch-mini-adapter?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3274408775&rkg_id=0&product_id=MHE100.5&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%2520-%2520Core%2520-%2520Accessories&adgroup=Accessories%2520-%2520Cables&placement=google&adpos=1o13&creative=249895767051&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjwlIvXBRBjEiwATWAQIs0qiDInXacuDDuGBYxmTrBOToSLO67C6DiQBuG3k2_MJZ6MhTIP-BoCIVEQAvD_BwE

taltexan -- will you be able to use the Rat phones with that adapter, plugged into the MODULE? PROBABLY. I say probably, because I can't tell for sure if the plastic part, beyond the metal "prong," is skinny enough to fit inside the recessed connector on the WM08 module, to allow the connector on the phones to "seat" properly and make a good connection. It looks like, from the picture, it will be skinny enough.

BUT -- that one will not work properly if you try to plug it into the unit. It WILL send sound to the headphones, but it will (I'm almost certain) NOT shut off the external speaker on the unit. In order to shut off the external speaker, you need that 1/8" male end to be MONO (also called a TS connector). You can tell a mono (TS) from a stereo (TRS), by looking at the black "rings" on the metal "prong." One black ring = TS connector, which is mono. Two black rings = TRS connector, which is stereo. And you need a mono 1/8" male to stereo 1/4" female adapter, if you want to use the Rat phones plugged into the machine directly, and shut off the external speaker.

The simple answer to your question though, is if you want to use the Rat phones, plugged into the WM08, and you want to buy that adapter to do so, it will work (as long as it fits inside the connector).

Steve

I don’t have a Nox, but I have been reading this thread and want someone to try this and see if it works......

Take an 1/8 inch male/mono plug with wires coming out of it ( there should be 2 wires, one being a ground wire )
and take a 1/4 inch female/stereo jack with wires coming out of it ( there should be 3 wires coming out of it , one being a ground wire)

Tie the ground wire from the plug and the ground wire from the jack together......
You now have one wire left coming out of the 1/8 inch male plug
You should have 2 wires left coming out of the 1/4 inch female jack
Tie these 3 leftover wires together......

This should work when plugging 1/4inch headphones into the Nox.....It’s basically a hardwired adapter that is like a short extension to your headphones....This method also allows you to choose between straight or right angled plugs depending upon the application.....Jim

I picked up a pair of cheap earbuds with a regular 1/8" plug and it worked fine, cuts off the external speaker no problem on my 600

The 1/8 to 1/4 female adapter has to be ground down enough so it will snap into the detector, i used a stereo adapter with a black plastic housing, ground it down on my grinder and it snapped it to place ,runs my gray ghost and my quest wireless head phones perfectly. It shuts off the speaker and
no lag in wireless headphones. If the speaker doesn't shut off it is because you haven't ground off enough its not seating all the way in.