Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will there be after market coils..................

Sure there will be after market coils. It will just take a little time for the manufacturers to figure out the electronics. I think they said there would not be after market coils for the E-Trac, and now we have 2 or 3 different brands.

The CTX-3030 is an absolutly fantastic detector. I made the move from my Explorer SE and after using it for 2 1/2 weeks I can navigate the menu like I have been doing it all my life. I have made some great finds so far with it. I keep hearing that it does not go any deeper then the E-trac or some of the other top of the line detectors. Well have you ever thought that maybe no one has yet gone over a deeper target. I found a small old lock at 13 inches. It is about the size of a quarter but made out of brass and or iron. Time will tell if its got more depth. But I like it for all the other information it gives you. My hearing is not so good so I rely a lot on what the screen is telling me such as the Target trace, Target trace pinpoint. Yes i agree its a little pricy, but I bet any of the other manufacturers will come out with top of the line detectors in the same price range.

Treasure Hunters Supply said:
Sure there will be after market coils. It will just take a little time for the manufacturers to figure out the electronics. I think they said there would not be after market coils for the E-Trac, and now we have 2 or 3 different brands.

The CTX-3030 is an absolutly fantastic detector. I made the move from my Explorer SE and after using it for 2 1/2 weeks I can navigate the menu like I have been doing it all my life. I have made some great finds so far with it. I keep hearing that it does not go any deeper then the E-trac or some of the other top of the line detectors. Well have you ever thought that maybe no one has yet gone over a deeper target. I found a small old lock at 13 inches. It is about the size of a quarter but made out of brass and or iron. Time will tell if its got more depth. But I like it for all the other information it gives you. My hearing is not so good so I rely a lot on what the screen is telling me such as the Target trace, Target trace pinpoint. Yes i agree its a little pricy, but I bet any of the other manufacturers will come out with top of the line detectors in the same price range.

There is already two additional coil options for the CTX beyond the standard coil. Also don't assume there will be aftermarket coils after the "manufacturers figure out the electronics." That just might be patented technology and thus subject to patent law.

The coils used on the CTX are "smart" coils and it will be up to Minelab to sell or allow duplicate technology to be used. I would be surprised if they would allow it, but you never know.........:shrug:

I agree you need a basic understanding of the hobby. I am always learning, because I have only been in the hobby for 13 years.

I agree Larry. The coils made for the current BBS and FBS detectors were "authorized" prior to Codan taking over Minelab. The most recent "new technology" was VFLEX, as used in the X-TERRA, which also uses "smart" coils. X-TERRA users waited seemingly a LONG time before Minelab authorized an aftermarket coil manufacturer to make coils for the X-TERRA. But last year, Coiltek was given the go ahead on the X-TERRA WOT. So, is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? :shrug: HH Randy

Reading this discussion, a question keeps coming up in my mind.----We of course have the 11" stock coil and the (hopefully) soon to be released Minelab 6" and the larger coil (whatever the measurements are).---That, right there in itself is a pretty good "coverage" of coils for the CTX.---What other coils do you feel is needed for the CTX?--(anybody)

Del, I bet you REALLY want a 24" coil don't you? :rofl:

[attachment 235012 backhoe.jpg]

Larry------I would be most happy if I could come up with the bucks for the 6" coil....I don't know about anybody else but I think the stock 11" & 6" coils would meet my needs in the CTX in a fine fashion.------How about you?---You wanting the 24" or 30"?? :biggrin:---------Del

D&P-OR said:
Larry------I would be most happy if I could come up with the bucks for the 6" coil....I don't know about anybody else but I think the stock 11" & 6" coils would meet my needs in the CTX in a fine fashion.------How about you?---You wanting the 24" or 30"?? :biggrin:---------Del

Del, I pretty much agree. I think I'll get the 6" coil, would prefer a 6X8 SEF as they cover better (though don't have quite the small footprint for heavier trash). The larger coils, in my experience, often get 1.5" - 2" more depth but MUCH MORE coverage - that is nice. The problem is they really kill the balance, generally.

Regarding aftermarket coils, well, I don't think patents will be a big issue because they will probably be done in countries where it's difficult to enforce that. But, I think it might be hard to copy the chips. I'm sure Minelab put in some anti-copy features. Understand, an average E-Trac, Explorer, etc. user has a few extra coils, VERY FEW of them from Minelab. I'm certain of that, I read too much and don't see people, outside of people connected to Minelab, talking about them much. Minelab lost a lot of money and probably wants to retain some of it. I do think the chip is doing pre-processing like they said, but to not make an announcement of "there will be aftermarket coils", really makes me think there won't. I mean this in the sense that it is attractive to us future buyers, think about it, think about this printed on the box or in an advertisement "Future coils from Detech in the works." or the like. Lots of us know that aftermarket coils are plain just better and I know as fact that quite a few people don't have CTX's because they feel their explorers with aftermarket coils are very close in separation (and depth of course) to E-Tracs - We'll see how close they are to CTX's in time I imagine.

What attracted me to the CTX, really, was the superb balance...

Albert