Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Winter Respite

hubbler

Winter is giving those of us in the mid-mountain states a chance to get out--and I have a few times; once before the snow storm that hit two weeks ago and twice last weekend. The January 30th trip to a town park started out pretty good. Twenty minutes out of the truck and I had two Rosie's and a wheat and I was thinking it was going to be a great day. Two and a half hours later I had the same two Rosie's but had added another wheat--and 26 clad quarters, 9 dimes, several nickels and a handful of pennies. Not a bad total, but when you're looking for older coins, not too exciting. Last Saturday, the weather had been in the 60's for several days and the 18-20" of snow was starting to melt, so I hit a local park. First target I dug was iffy, but consistent in the XX-40's. At 7" I found a wheat, but the probe told me I wasn't done. Dug another chunk and scooped it out and in the bottom of the hole (9") was another wheat. Before filling the hole I ran the probe over the pile and got another signal--turned out to be the 1943D Merc. A while later, I got a interesting signal that was near some iron. Every time I tried to pinpoint, the iron overrode and pulled me from where I knew the target was...then a family started building a snowman about 10' from me...so I walked away. But only got 20' and said, I gotta dig it. Had to use the wiggle-back, but was spot on. Uncovered the 1935D Washington at 9". About a third of the park was still under snow, so intend to go back in the next day or two--the ground is saturated and am guessing that's why I found both those silvers in a pounded park. Monday I got with a couple of new detectorists (a neighbor and a coworker) that got the bug from seeing what I bring home. It wasn't hot and heavy but found a handful of wheats and the 1917S Merc. My buddies each found 3 or 4 wheats and some clad.

Hope you're all able to get out soon.

HH

Ron

What Coil are you using on your Etrac

daddyflea said:
What Coil are you using on your Etrac

For these hunts, the Ultimate 13". Also use the 6×8" SEF in trashy areas, close to metal fences and parked cars, etc.

Nice finds Ron. always a bonus to get old winter coins. I tried detecting a couple weeks ago close to home and carved out a 1906 barber dime and 4 wheat pennies out of the frozen ground where the snow was shallow.

chipper97 said:
Boy you sure made that "window of opportunity" count. Great saves!

Thanks Chipper.

floodplaindetector said:
Nice finds Ron. always a bonus to get old winter coins. I tried detecting a couple weeks ago close to home and carved out a 1906 barber dime and 4 wheat pennies out of the frozen ground where the snow was shallow.

Thanks Dave. Hate trying to dig when the ground is hard. Good job on barber and wheat. Can I expect to start seeing your massive weekend finds somewhere around April?

Great hunts. It has been a while since I found more than one silver in a single hunt.

I am actually happy to find Wheaties now.

I did find a nice silver Jesus pendant Saturday that was 0.77 troy ounces, which made my day.

Very nice finds! Glad you could get out! Thanks for the pictures.

NebTrac