Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wiped Seated, Barber & Big Silver

floodplaindetector

Finds are from the last few weekend hunts since it warmed up a little. Almost all finds were from researched public city parks and schools a couple hours or so south into Minnesota and South Dakota where I could get the digger into the ground.
The only exception being the 1888 Indian Head and The C & NW (Chicago & Northwestern Railway) uniform button which were pulled from a field site only 3 miles from my Parent's farm in SW North Dakota.
All finds were pulled with the XP Deus 2 metal detector.

The worn-out seated dime is the thinnest silver coin I have ever found. It read like an Indian head penny because it was so thin. It was about 8 inches deep. At first, I thought it was an aluminum punch out but after looking closer I could see the outline of a seated liberty.
If I hold it just right in the light, I am able to get a date. It is 1854. Someone must have had that coin in their pocket for 40 years!
Also found in the same Minnesota city park was the 1914 barber dime.
Thanks for looking!
Dave

Coin Finds
1951 Franklin half dollar
1898 (no mint mark) barber quarter
1854,1910 (Canadian), 1914, 1929,1935,1935,1941,1960 dimes
1943 silver war nickel
Other nickels are 1902 V,1904 V,1916 buffalo, dateless buffalo,1934 buffalo, 4 Jefferson nickels 1947-54
1888,1903 Indian head pennies
21 wheat pennies back to 1916

Other Finds
C & NW Button (Early 1900s Chicago & Northwestern Railway uniform button)
Older Boy Scouts "Be Prepared" button
1920s-40 "Butter Nut" coffee advertising thimble
Old silver locket piece (No stamp but definitely silver. Found at same site as Barber Quarter)
Brass ring
Aluminum "Manitowoc" comb
Pocket Watch pieces
Old lock plate
Aluminum Northern States tag stamped 46.
Suspender pieces
Possible old toy train wheel
Harmonica reed
SilverCoins.jpg
BarberQuarterOutOfTheHole.jpg
WornSeatedDime.jpg
NickelsAndIndians.jpg
Buttons.jpg
CanadianDimeReverse.jpg
SilverLocketAndThimble.jpg
GroupShot.jpg
BarberQuarterShortlyAfterFinding.jpg
SundaySDParkFinds.jpg

I have to ask you about the seated dime I found one 2 years ago small park Iowa . Half the detail was on the front only the center had any left only could read the top of the date 1851. The back on yours was it a complete wipe there was nothing on the back of mine 4 inches with CTX read solid 40 .sube

Way to go Dave, you got a great start for the year,
As most see the research makes a big difference in the finds that we find plus knowing the detector we that we use. I bet most of this was found in well worked areas, but knowing the detector well and going to the area that most overlook.

Good luck Dave and really enjoy your post of the finds you are finding .

Rick

Holly smokes very nice finds - I'd gas up the vehicle, get a sandwich, coffee recharge, get back.... oh and recharge the detector too...o_O

Reactions: PDH
Absolute stunning finds!

Nice finds Dave glad you can start digging I can see the outline of libertys arm. Its been
a good start I got 3 seated so far thats more than I get in one year usually!
Mark

Wow! That's alot of old history right there. That seated must have passed through a bunch of hands to get worn like that.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!
Regarding the question on what was on the back of the seated dime. You can very faintly see parts of the wreath but It is pretty much wiped like the front.
Yep, it is pretty uncommon to be able to dig even couple hours south this early. The 2nd coin I pulled this year after a wheat penny was that 1951 Half Dollar so that was a
great way to start.
Dave

Its always a whoopie moment when you find those little silver gems. I dug a 1911 Canada dime last year very close to a Barber quarter. Nice finds for sure!!