Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

wish i had not tried to change the battery in my x 35 coil

kaolinwasher

I got a replacement battery , to change out the old one in the x 35 coil, I watched several videos, and seen exacly how to do it well i got to the point where you unplug the battery and to my horror the plug in was compleatly covered in glue wich made replacing it impossible the ries tor out and the plug stayed firm no way to get it out , I suppose whoever put it together glued it . but i am so disapointed as i just dont have another 300 bucks to replace the coil . any one else have that problem ?

Never liked the design I have never had to replace a battery but wish the coil was wired to the controller.
I’d send it back I watched a vii oh demo on how to do it seems like a PITA.
Mark

I changed the battery in my D1 coil. There was no glue of any kind in the coil battery compartment.
That glue would concern me about doing my MF coil on the D2 in the future.

That said, there may be a solvent you could use that would soften the glue without damaging the plug/circuit board.
Check out Geotech forums for a possible solution to your problem. There are many electronics hobbyists on that site https://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum
I know they have used specific solvents to remove paint from Minelab circuit boards so there might be some good advice for tackling your problem.

I replaced batteries in the remote and 11" coil for the D1 , managed to get it done but it was dicey. They use a silicone to hold the battery in place in that little compartment on the coil and it sounds like yours had a more than generous supply. Good luck , I don't know what might soften the silicone. You might try WD-40 or some Superzilla if you can find it.

I replaced batteries in the remote and 11" coil for the D1 , managed to get it done but it was dicey. They use a silicone to hold the battery in place in that little compartment on the coil and it sounds like yours had a more than generous supply. Good luck , I don't know what might soften the silicone. You might try WD-40 or some Superzilla if you can find it.
That's really interesting, my 9" coil was an early one (If I remember correctly a 2014 purchase) and it didn't have any adhesive of any kind holding the battery. The battery in my coil was only sandwiched in foam (still is, I didn't add adhesive when I re-assembled it), easy peasy. The difficult/stressful part for me was cutting through the housing.
Silicone is soft enough that he should have easily been able to remove enough of the adhesive with tweezers and/or Xacto, to unplug the battery.

Kaloin, if you have the tools, you might be able to snip the battery wires (one at a time) and solder the new battery to the old wires so you don't have to mess with the glue.
A little heat shrink over the solder joints (not electrical tape), and you would be good to go. See photo

Attachments

• 20230314_121535.jpg
    20230314_121535.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Like others I have done battery changes on D1 stuff and it was pretty simple, no potting compounds. Don’t like surprises so thanks for the heads up, when the time comes I think I will send mine in. If like you though, I would be tempted now to cut away the connector or dremel around it cautiously. It should have wires from there to the circuit board. If so then I would not use anything that could run into the circuit board, and do a splice on the wires with heat shrink. Depends on your confidence now. Fix or send off?

Yikes. This is the one issue holding up my decision to go down this path. Sending in for repair seems like best idea now that my hands have become unstable. Any ideas what that costs?

well it was even hard to get the little black cover off , it was glued in with a hard glue as well part of the small cover broke off as well , I may save some money and get the shite HF 9" coil as it is alot easear to change the battery

Its the trade off of a extremely light and compact design.
For many a wired coil = less detecting time, more medications, down time, etc.
You have to do your own math.
$50 to send in the coil for batteries every 5-10 years is ok for me especially considering one should be able to make that $50 in finds over those years.
Its all math over mind

If i could find a dedector that was as light as the ORX i would change detectors, but this was not really xp falt , just that some employee must have been new on the job, and if they only check 1 in 100 then alot gets missed, I wonder how many coils that guy filled with glue that day , or that week, well I got a HF coil from big boys and that will have to do for me , just gladd i had some tax money to get it , times are tough and that 319.00 really hit me hard, as i only made 2800.00$ last year

If i could find a dedector that was as light as the ORX i would change detectors, but this was not really xp falt , just that some employee must have been new on the job, and if they only check 1 in 100 then alot gets missed, I wonder how many coils that guy filled with glue that day , or that week, well I got a HF coil from big boys and that will have to do for me , just gladd i had some tax money to get it , times are tough and that 319.00 really hit me hard, as i only made 2800.00$ last year
As someone noted if it’s silicon or something else soft an Xacto knife is only a couple dollars and works very well for cutting it out.

no it was very hard apoxy of some kind, trash man took it friday

On another detector , I waited years to buy a new whites TDI and when i got it it was defective, so i sent it in at my cost for warranty and I got it back and the wires for the controls where done backwards, then whites went out of business, I was so disappointed just sold it at a huge loss. American made & quality? not anymore

On another detector , I waited years to buy a new whites TDI and when i got it it was defective, so i sent it in at my cost for warranty and I got it back and the wires for the controls where done backwards, then whites went out of business, I was so disappointed just sold it at a huge loss. American made & quality? not
There is alot that you can unpack there.
But all you have to do is look at education between us and for example asian students. Their priorities are to make sure everyone is proficient in reading, writing and math. Ours is to make sure that all students have a passing grade weather they can or cannot. What do you think is going to eventually happen to all of the work force. If you instill everyone will pass no matter what, and no repercussions where is the incentive to put in effort to do a good job. It has a big psychological effect.

Was this a new coil when you got it? It sounds like it was a replacement battery to begin with if the coil bottom (back cover) was already glued up. I don't remember mine having a back cover , you had to cut along the rib through the coil bottom to make one.