Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WM10 USB door and battery

Roland58

Recently, there has been a lot of talk about the flexible door to the USB charging port breaking off of the WM10. To save people down time if they send their WM10 to Minelab to be repaired, do as some have and just have them send you the door. It is incredibly easy to take the case apart and just as easy to put it back together.......nothing tricky about it. You should have a Torx T10 driver to remove the screws from the back of the WM10 and the unit will easily come apart, no prying needed. Do be reasonably careful, no "ham fisting" as the speaker wires will remain connecting the front and back halves together. The little rubber door simply slips into place on some small rails, very obvious. Assembly, is just in reverse of taking it apart. Do be careful, however, that the two sides go together completely.....
the seam around the middle of the edge should be even all the way around. There is a tendency for the speaker wires and battery wires to get in the way, but, these can easily be seen and moved out of the way with a toothpick or similar item. Be sure to use plastic or wood, not metal tools, you don't want to short anything out.

Now, the battery. It is supposed to be a Lithium Ion battery, according to the Minelab literature, as is the main detector battery. However, if you look closely at the nomenclature on the battery, the last line reads "LIPO63448 3.7v 1000mAh". This would lead me to believe it is a Lithium Polymer battery. Not that there is much difference, mainly one being slightly larger than the other physically. So far, I have been unable to find an aftermarket battery to replace this one. I would like to find one of equivalent size with 1250 mAh or larger rating, which would give a longer run time. It may be that this is a proprietary battery for Minelab and a replacement would need to be had through them. I know they should last a long time, taken care of, but, they will eventually crap out. Comparable batteries run about $5. I'll be going to a battery supply house on Monday and see if they can match up the size with an aftermarket unit. I will let everyone know what I find out.

One word of caution......some of the aftermarket batteries have the polarity switched on the plug! Before using any aftermarket battery, make sure the polarity on the plug is the same as the OEM unit!!

I use LiPo's almost everyday in Radio Control drones, a good and cheap supplier is Hobby King. The LiPo is a 1S type meaning its a one cell pack, if you mesure your battery you can match it up with one of theirs.

Good information Roland. Thanks for opening it up and sharing a picture. It isn't something I'd recommend to those unfamiliar with electronics. But obviously an easy fix if you have the proper tools and skills. One thing I did note, in regard to the type of battery used.....in looking through the manual, I can't find where it says the battery is suppose to have been Li-Ion. I only find where it says the battery is rechargeable. I think many of us may have thought it to be Li-Ion, since there is Li-Ion in the CTX3030. But the only reference I can find in the CTX3030 Operators Manual says:, "The WM 10 includes a rechargeable battery, which can be charged by the Li-Ion battery charger or a standard USB port."
Regardless, now we know for sure. Thanks again. HH Randy

One thing about the LiPo hazards is these batteries ARE unstable. Its the nature of the battery. I am the project manager of OpenPilot, these LiPo's are used 100% with our flight controllers with fixed wing and rotor wing UAV's. If you drop a LiPo in or out of a case, overcharge it or use a damaged pack the results can be catastrophic. I store my packs in a metal fireproof box sitting on pavers bricks just in care of fire so the heat don't transfer to the floor to spread the fire. This don't keep me from using them and I will continue but I don't want to see anyone lose his home from one of these LiPo's burning another persons home to the ground. I would have rather seen a Li-Lon used but I'll still buy one but the WM10 will sleep in the metal box. LiPo's are a good power source that is light weight, don't have a memory and supply a constant power without tapering off like older type batteries, just keep it mind the safety side to using them.

These video will give you a idea, most are 3S or 4S meaning 3 or 4 cells and one shows fire be impact and the other by overcharging or shorting the leads.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5ftkN9PtY[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CORysPF3rmk[/video]

jas415 said:
http://german.ppbattery.com/buy-li_ion_battery-page10.html

Thanks jas415, but, I could not find a comparable battery on the page you listed. The closest one is very similar in size, however, it is only 850 mAh. This would give it only about 85% run time compared to the stock battery. I will know more after Monday. Like I said, it may be that this battery is of a proprietary nature for Minelab. The closest aftermarket batteries are 50 mm in length, instead of the OEM's 48 mm and there is not enough room to accommodate this extra 2 mm without some 'stuffing'........not good to do to a Li-Po!

Digger, the info is not in the manual......refer to KBA 21-2, Page 3, on the WM10. It clearly says that the WM10 is powered by a Li-Ion battery. (just to the left of the picture of the WM10, toward the bottom of the page). http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/93182/CTX-3030-Audio-Options-KBA_21-2.pdf

wvrick, good words of safety on the Li-Po's and other Lithium batteries. Although, the incidents of fire from these batteries are usually for the reasons you mentioned, it is still a prudent task to take safety precautions within reasonable limits. Do you let your cell phones rest in the metal box, as well? I use a lot of different batteries in my R/C crafts, from Ni-Cd's to Li-Fe and they are stored in a Pyrex container(s) on an insulated surface. Even though I probably should, I don't do the same with my cell phone.

More to come as I get more info. I will contact Minelab about a replacement battery cost and let everyone know.

Thanks Roland. I'll contact them and see what the discrepancy is. I don't know if some were initially introduced with Li-Ion, or if this was a typo. Regardless, thanks for pointing that out to me. HH Randy

Randy,
No biggie, either way. However, if you do get hold of them about the battery, ask them what a replacement battery would cost. Just out of curiosity on my part, as they should not be more than about $5,
or, less.

Thanks,

No, the LiFe and Li-lon battery are pretty safe. But I do store the two LiFe batteries with the LiPo's. I'm not against them being used, I'd just rather seen Li-lon but LiPo is cheaper. A detector using them would'nt keep me from buying one, I just wouldn't leave it alone on the charger. I do charge my LiPo's indoors but in a box and also set a smoke detector a few feet away.

I contacted MInelab, and their response is that LIPO batteries are Li-Ion, full name Lithium Ion Polymer. They are just manufactured differently than standard Li-Ion to cater for different shaped cells.
When I went online http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_polymer_battery and looked for how the manufacturing process differed, I found that "the primary difference (between Li-Ion polymer and the lithium ion design) is that with the LIPO, the lithium-salt electrolyte is not held in an organic solvent but in a solid polymer composite such as polyethylene oxide or polyacrylonitrile.

In response to your inquiry regarding replacements.....Minelab does not supply service parts directly to customers. The Wireless modules can be repaired at any of their Authorised Service Centres.

HH Randy

So, for Minelab to replace the battery, one would have to pay to have the WM10 shipped to a service center, pay for the service and battery, and, finally, pay for the shipment back. Of course, then there is the time involved for the whole process. If I can find a proper sized battery, I'll be doing it myself, thank you very much. I don't guess they mentioned what this process would cost, did they?

I did find the batteries through a Chinese supplier, however, they sell in bulk only and the minimum order is something like 500 units. The price varies for the 1250mAh battery, depending on the vendor (and probably the quality and whether it comes with the connector) from around $0.35 to less than $2. I'll know more on Monday about the availability of an aftermarket version of proper physical dimensions.

Interesting info on the Li-Po and Li-Ion. I do remember reading that one is slightly larger than the other, however, I can't recall which, at the moment......CRS attack.

Thanks for the info, Randy. Take care and stay safe.

If your ok with soldering you own wires to the tabs here is one. Also they have a few others. I have bought a bunch of batteries over the years from them and all have been good batteries.

Hobby King

Roland58 said:
So, for Minelab to replace the battery, one would have to pay to have the WM10 shipped to a service center, pay for the service and battery, and, finally, pay for the shipment back. Of course, then there is the time involved for the whole process. If I can find a proper sized battery, I'll be doing it myself, thank you very much. I don't guess they mentioned what this process would cost, did they?

According to the date stamps on your posts, your Wireless mod and battery are still under warranty. So at this point in time, it shouldn't cost you anything. Just contact Minelab and send it in. They will repair it under warranty, and ship it back. Total cost = $0.00. The worst case scenerio is that you have to pay to ship it to them. But again, contact them and ask if they will cover the shipping.

On the other hand, if you would prefer to replace the battery yourself, you always have that option.

HH Randy

OOOooooohhhhh that's good to know! My WM10's not THAT important hahah I think I may go with the factory battery when the time comes, not too worried bout it now, will wait and see what Roland finds out. Thanks for posting that info wvrick!

Don

wvrick said:
One thing about the LiPo hazards is these batteries ARE unstable. Its the nature of the battery. I am the project manager of OpenPilot, these LiPo's are used 100% with our flight controllers with fixed wing and rotor wing UAV's. If you drop a LiPo in or out of a case, overcharge it or use a damaged pack the results can be catastrophic. I store my packs in a metal fireproof box sitting on pavers bricks just in care of fire so the heat don't transfer to the floor to spread the fire. This don't keep me from using them and I will continue but I don't want to see anyone lose his home from one of these LiPo's burning another persons home to the ground. I would have rather seen a Li-Lon used but I'll still buy one but the WM10 will sleep in the metal box. LiPo's are a good power source that is light weight, don't have a memory and supply a constant power without tapering off like older type batteries, just keep it mind the safety side to using them.

These video will give you a idea, most are 3S or 4S meaning 3 or 4 cells and one shows fire be impact and the other by overcharging or shorting the leads.

wvrick said:
If your ok with soldering you own wires to the tabs here is one. Also they have a few others. I have bought a bunch of batteries over the years from them and all have been good batteries.

Hobby King

wvrick,
Like the other batteries I have encountered, this one will not fit inside the WM10 case. The length cannot exceed 48mm, the one you have picked out is 63mm. The battery in the WM10 is a LIPO063448. I have found that this stands for 6mm thick, 34mm high and 48mm long. The closest thing I have found, as yet, is an 063450 and being a LIPO, I would not want to "skrunch" it into the case. (as you so aptly stated earlier)

Randy,
Yeah, I know mine are in warranty. The batteries I have are both good, it is the sensing circuitry in one of my units that doesn't recognize a fully charged battery (the charging LED continues to flash). Both batteries read about 4.14v at full charge, which is in spec. I'm just thinking about when the battery does fail, at some point....they have a limited number of cycles. They should last for quite a while, but, they will eventually fail. By then we will probably be using a CTX3333, with gold and aluminum discrimination, anyway!

Okay, everyone.......here's the skinny: I went to Batteries Plus (now Batteries and Bulbs) and they do not have a cross reference to this particular battery and nothing in any other brand with these size specifications. The gentleman there told me that the battery was probably special made (proprietary) for Minelab. Also, I went to MinMax Technology, Inc. in China, where the batteries are made and went through 247 single cell batteries, 3.7v, and NONE of them met the size specifications. There were some that were smaller and would fit inside the WM10 case, but, they were of considerably lesser mAh ratings.

So, the bottom line is, when the time comes that you need a new battery, you will need to get it from Minelab. And, from what Randy found out, you will have to send the WM10 into a Service Center for the replacement, as you cannot purchase the battery alone to replace it yourself. I guess you could always "rig" an external battery, but, that would not be the best solution. Looks like we are stuck, folks.

Wishing everyone good hunting.........

Just curious but what is the dimensions of the battery? 48mm x mm x mm will work. I have a bunch of sources and maybe have one here.

I thought I had posted the dimensions, maybe not. Anyway, they are 6mm thick, 34mm high, 48mm length (width), looking at the picture on Page 1 of the thread. I really don't need one, yet, just looking for a source when the time comes.

Thanks for your help!

Here is one that's 2mm over but not sure if there is extra room.

SparkFun

wvrick said:
Here is one that's 2mm over but not sure if there is extra room.

SparkFun

Yeah, I looked at that one and it specs out at almost 3mm too long (50.8mm). I don't think I want to chance crunching up a LiPo that much......especially since I carry it in a pocket!!