Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

woods hunting in thick pine straw with FBS detector

chipper97

As I understand it the FBS machines do not like air between the coil and undisturbed soil matrix. They supposedly do not do well in plowed, fluffed fields. Some of my hunting sites are in pine forests. My question is; Would the fluffy pine straw mat above the soil cause the FBS detectors to suffer loss of depth due to the air filled pockets in say a 3in. or so mat of pine straw? Would a single frequency detector penetrate this environment better? Any thoughts?

You know, I had a Whites DFX before I got my Etrac.......Neither one of them like "fluffy" soil! I could not tell any difference between the two.(On fluffy soil) I hunt primarilly farm fields & have made great finds with both machines. Personally, I think you will do just fine with the Etac in those conditions! JMHO!

Iowa Dale

Thanks Dale. I've hunted some pine woods sites with my Explorer and seemed to do ok, but I keep hearing about FBS's not liking air above targets. For instance pulling out a plug and the target disappearing in the hole. Anyhoo, I've got an Etrac now and so far very happy. Like all detectors it isn't the perfect one for all applications but it does pretty dang good at most of them.

Dale what you are describing is the Halo effect and it has nothing to do with air. The moisture around a coin or object makes it appear larger and it easier to pick up. In a plowed field this Halo dries up and disappears leaving just the object to detect. In answer to your question the Etrac is effected no more or less than any other detector. In fact just stretching a little here the Etrac could do better than other detectors because of its superior ground tracking.