Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Work a tree !

Elmy

At one time or another someone has sat or laid down or played in the shade of a big tree.
No one likes to be in the hot sun forever and all people are attracted to the shade of a tree to eat their lunch or take a break under that tree.
Old depressions could also be long gone trees or stumps...check these all out.
I have taken many coins there and will hunt all sides of a big tree in a park or yard...North, south, east, and west out to about 20 foot from the trunk
or even farther....always hunt these and sometimes I work around trees first before I venture out to the place where people usually gather.
Trees closest to the main attraction in a park are the best to check out...I know this is old school and has probably been posted many times but
consider this a reminder...where to hunt...Work around a big tree.

GO GET "EM

E L M Y

At one time or another someone has sat or laid down or played in the shade of a big tree.
No one likes to be in the hot sun forever and all people are attracted to the shade of a tree to eat their lunch or take a break under that tree.
Old depressions could also be long gone trees or stumps...check these all out.
I have taken many coins there and will hunt all sides of a big tree in a park or yard...North, south, east, and west out to about 20 foot from the trunk
or even farther....always hunt these and sometimes I work around trees first before I venture out to the place where people usually gather.
Trees closest to the main attraction in a park are the best to check out...I know this is old school and has probably been posted many times but
consider this a reminder...where to hunt...Work around a big tree.

GO GET "EM

E L M Y

Very TRUE--Children climb trees & lose coins, too! Sometimes the ground around them was loaded with clads & sometimes a silver coin would pop up--Like Digger says, Ya never know what is there until ya DIG IT! --Large OLDER TREES--OLDER COINS to be had!! Ma

Elmy is right on! Years ago, I was detecting an old school and noticed a large pine tree near the school entrance. I figured at one time, the tree was much smaller in diameter, so I put my coil way under the bottom branches and got a good signal. It turned out to be my first Walking half dollar!

Also, as trees grow the roots will move an old silver coin into the field of detection.
Probably over 1/2 my silver coins has been just underneath a root, love it when I take a plug out of the ground, place my pinpointer near a root and it goes crazy, chances are good it's going to be silver.

Also, as trees grow the roots will move an old silver coin into the field of detection.
Probably over 1/2 my silver coins has been just underneath a root, love it when I take a plug out of the ground, place my pinpointer near a root and it goes crazy, chances are good it's going to be silver.
Your Barber Half was within a foot from the base of a tree and was under one of its roots.

So true, I have dug many a coin and a couple of nice buttons out from under many a tree root.
I carry a small saw & hatchet in the van just for the that reason.

ELMY pointed out a great tip that cannot be overstated enough. When looking for good sites to detect, half the battle is finding somewhat undisturbed ground and large trees
often provide a good quick reference to determine that (looking at the root flare out at the base of the tree to determine if the area has been filled).
Also when you get a group of trees together, you can often return to that site and the "root action" exposes new signals.
As a matter of fact, I just pulled a silver dime on Saturday very close to a tree under the root. I too carry a small folding saw.
I have also found many old coins in the long lost tree depressions. That is an excellent tip also.
Dave

Okay we went to the grass lands in the park today for starters, no luck there except for the clad dime. So late in the day we headed for the woods, the silver dime was the first to see the light of day. It was next to a large tree and it came out from between roots. The next to come out was the memorial penny which was next to a small tree and the roots were all over it. Both my brother and I were getting what we thought to be high high dime or quarter ID numbers. We spent about 30 minutes under mining those roots trying get it out. Just to find it was stink-in Lincoln. Then the Canadian was on edge up against a tree. That big bird and the 1867 date really got the blood pumping then we spotted the 1967 date. Anybody know if there is anything special about this Canadian penny?

Ron in WV

100_3180.JPG100_3181.JPG

One more tree find story... years ago I was working a park on an early Saturday morning and got a great signal next to a large tree. I decided against digging it because a huge group of people just showed-up and they were looking at what I was doing. I went back the next morning and popped out a very large sterling ring!

One more tree find story... years ago I was working a park on an early Saturday morning and got a great signal next to a large tree. I decided against digging it because a huge group of people just showed-up and they were looking at what I was doing. I went back the next morning and popped out a very large sterling ring!
yes...good idea...sometimes that root situation came cause some alarm to bystanders looking on.

Okay we went to the grass lands in the park today for starters, no luck there except for the clad dime. So late in the day we headed for the woods, the silver dime was the first to see the light of day. It was next to a large tree and it came out from between roots. The next to come out was the memorial penny which was next to a small tree and the roots were all over it. Both my brother and I were getting what we thought to be high high dime or quarter ID numbers. We spent about 30 minutes under mining those roots trying get it out. Just to find it was stink-in Lincoln. Then the Canadian was on edge up against a tree. That big bird and the 1867 date really got the blood pumping then we spotted the 1967 date. Anybody know if there is anything special about this Canadian penny?

Ron in WV

View attachment 7770View attachment 7771
This hunt represents 12 hours of coil swinging and we were happy with one silver coin.

Yep that is my first silver for this year 1943. But we located some woods near that dime that we haven't hunted, so we have high hopes for a few more silvers this year.

Also just take the worry out of root digging. The area is part of the park but it is totally woods and is not cared for by any of the grounds people. We have stopped and talked to the grounds people several times and they don't have any problems with what we are doing. At times they have given us details of the park where we may want to hunt.

Thanks for the info on that penny.