Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WS5 Degraded-Lost Signal Help

flysar

Picked up a set of WS5's, updated them, ensured they were working with coil directly & thru the remote. Did a coin hunt & loved the comfort vs the WS4's.
I was asked to look for a lost stud earring. I air tested my wife's gold stud with the remote & HF elliptical and dialed in some settings I liked. Placed the stud in a baggie and put it on the ground to further test. Used WS5's paired to coil only & WS5's thru the remote and in both cases I was unable to pick up the stud. I ground balanced and it made no difference. Picked up a nickel just fine but maybe it was degraded too? Surprised, I shut off the WS5's and while using the remote only and the same settings the stud came in just as it had earlier when air tested. Haven't tried my WS4's in this same test but figured someone may be able to help me out before calling XP.

I don't know much about heaphones and if they "wear out". Used equipment you never know what you are getting. What frequency are you using? I've noticed small targets do much better at 25KHz on the X35 coil. Possible there was some other metal object nearby enough to mask the earring but not the nickel? I didn't catch exactly what you were doing. Were you using the headphones without the remote? If so you are probably running different settings compared to the remote. Ground balance can be tricky. Too much Ground Sensitivity can cause issues. I like it set at "4". Not so touchy.

Going to be a hard target to recover. If you used the remote with the factory settings the headphones should pick up the same item on the same program.

And as the previous poster said, use a high frequency or the highest one your coil will allow.

This post is more about a degraded signal when using my WS5's with or without the remote than frequency, masking, ground balancing, settings, tough target, and yes, I agree with all of your comments.
Also makes sense that when using the WS5's alone with the 74kHz coil there may be different settings involved than when the remote is involved. When the WS5 is paired with the remote don't they just transmit the remotes settings to your ear? Doesn't seem to be the case in my situation.
I'll contact XP and post their response here.
Thank you

Last edited:
Yes the ws when paired are just to be like regular headphones. But when stand alone use they are a complete separate unit. Are both versions of your set up the current software? If not that may an issue if you pieced together your rig.

I did buy the WS5s later but updated the remote,, ws4s & ws5s with the latest update, 5.21, at the same time. When I use the remote only the stud comes in solid. When I use hard wired headphones with the remote the stud comes in solid. When I pair my WS5s to the remote I get no signal return from the stud.

I use the ws5 headphones, if I change coils I have to do so on both the remote and headphones, no problems picking up small gold or silver objects, depth depends on settings, but most small studs or settings are within 2-3 inches for me. I did find a very original earring a few weeks ago, almost threw it in the trash, it was a zipper made into and earring (bling) but different.

Thank you for the info BobOso. I just checked and both the headphones & remote are paired to the same coil.
Still waiting for XPs response.

Sounds silly but recharge the ws5 i had this happen to me once and i thought it was charged up but after recharging it has worked good, give it a try, charge it by itself not in combination with the coil and RC