Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Xcal headphone ear pads?

All that I could find, locally, was Shoe Goo. Just got done gluing the pads on. What a mess. lol!! I hope that I'll be able to trim the excess goo off, after it dries.

OldBeechnut said:
Go Daddy!!

The more it dries, the better it looks! lol!! I'll bet I bought the muffs over two years ago. I was concerned that the glue, once it was put on, would be permanent, but it looks like it might peel off, if I really worked at it. Still want the GG's though.

Thanks for recommending the muffs, Joe.

Daddy, when I saw your post asking "why doesn't someone make a slip-on pair?" it reminded me that I had a pair of Garrett headphones that have really thick ear pads. The opening looked to be the same so I slipped the pads off the Garrett phones and onto the yellow phones. The result, much better fit, more comfortable, and the pads are firmly in place with no gluing.

Syd BC said:
Daddy, when I saw your post asking "why doesn't someone make a slip-on pair?" it reminded me that I had a pair of Garrett headphones that have really thick ear pads. The opening looked to be the same so I slipped the pads off the Garrett phones and onto the yellow phones. The result, much better fit, more comfortable, and the pads are firmly in place with no gluing.

Hey, that's really interesting, syd. Thanks for sharing your findings, and I'm glad that the pads worked out for you.

HH - Daddy

penzfan said:
Found the Gel Seals on ebay for $15 and installed them on both my Minelabs with Plumbers Goop. What a difference...

If you want to resale the detector, will they come off clean? That has been one of my concerns with doing it.

adamBomb said:
penzfan said:
Found the Gel Seals on ebay for $15 and installed them on both my Minelabs with Plumbers Goop. What a difference...

If you want to resale the detector, will they come off clean? That has been one of my concerns with doing it.
That was my concern, too. I said to heck with it, and just did it. After doing it, it appears that they might come off clean, but not sure. I'm not going to try it any time soon. lol!!

I'm more than pleased with the Gel pads, the comfort, airtight like feeling , outside noise suppression and better hearing of tones have convinced me to put them on the DF too.

Daddy said:
adamBomb said:
penzfan said:

That was my concern, too. I said to heck with it, and just did it. After doing it, it appears that they might come off clean, but not sure. I'm not going to try it any time soon. lol!!

Well, I found out that the pads will come off clean. Yep, after one hunt, the pads are already falling off. The Shoe Goo did not work so well ....

Well, like the op said....E6000 from the craft dept. at Wallyworld!! Over a dozen outings so far and holding strong. I have used this glue for years with great results. I can't stand the thin arm cuff pad that all detectors seem to come with, so I cut coolie cups up (they are already shaped) and glue them in for a very comfortable and snug fit!!

bob.oz said:
Well, like the op said....E6000 from the craft dept. at Wallyworld!! Over a dozen outings so far and holding strong. I have used this glue for years with great results. I can't stand the thin arm cuff pad that all detectors seem to come with, so I cut coolie cups up (they are already shaped) and glue them in for a very comfortable and snug fit!!

I somehow missed the part about the E600.

Has anyone tried using a heat gun to heat the headband so that it can be bent a little bit to bring the ear cups closer together? I always thought that I had a pretty big head, but that was until I placed my Excalibur headphones on it.

Well, for 14.99 and free 1 day shipping through amazon prime, I decided to get a pair for my XCAL2 as well. I guess I will have to figure out the glue situation also. Probably going to look for a good 3M product. Maybe a double sided sticky material of a sort.

ronhob said:
. Probably going to look for a good 3M product. Maybe a double sided sticky material of a sort.

That may turn out to be a good idea.

I ended up using mine on one of the two sets of Pro Gold headphones that I've got.

ronhob said:
Well, for 14.99 and free 1 day shipping through amazon prime, I decided to get a pair for my XCAL2 as well. I guess I will have to figure out the glue situation also. Probably going to look for a good 3M product. Maybe a double sided sticky material of a sort.

Good deal there!!

Walmart, shoe goo or goop... the same thing as Aquaseal but dries faster. Been using this Aquaseal for years, that you can get at a sporting goods store in the wader outdoor department.

Well, hear are a few pics of the finished product. I went with the household GOOP. I scuffed the plastic on the headset with 180 grit sandpaper first, then I put a thin bead of the goop on the pad and headset. I meshed them together, then decided to put a bead all the way around each pad to help secure it a little better. Then I decided to use my wife's hair dryer on medium heat, high fan, to help firm it up a bit. I figured it would also help the cure process along. These are pics after 24 hrs cure time. I think they look pretty good and will hopefully stand the test of time. I will probably bring my original pads along the first couple times just in case. I don't submerge my headset anyway, so I think they stand a pretty good chance of holding up.

p.s. I was a little hesitant on using the Goop at first, because it smells like model glue. I was worried it might melt the plastic. No melting on plastic or pads. Its more of a rubber glue similar to silicone when dried. I could only find big tubes for about $5, but they probably make smaller ones too. Plenty of left over!

adamBomb said:
Something like this might work well too. I have been debating getting these to see if they help. Only $14.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017ZMU20I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3TPUR8KKOC9BQ&coliid=I2G7MC9B5Z19ET

I just installed these on my Excal. Very easy to do. I took off the black ear pads on the excal, which slide off and can be put back on for resale, and then I used some aquaseal to the put the new ones on. I can tell right away its a big difference in keeping out sounds. I will test them out on the beach tomorrow.

adamBomb said:
adamBomb said:
Something like this might work well too. I have been debating getting these to see if they help. Only $14.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017ZMU20I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3TPUR8KKOC9BQ&coliid=I2G7MC9B5Z19ET
I just installed these on my Excal. Very easy to do. I took off the black ear pads on the excal, which slide off and can be put back on for resale, and then I used some aquaseal to the put the new ones on. I can tell right away its a big difference in keeping out sounds. I will test them out on the beach tomorrow.

Have had them on for over a month with dozens of hunts and water dunks and rinses. Still holding up like day one and outside noise reduction is great, but the comfort is by far the best compared to the old ones. Got the same pads for my DF headphones too.

Tested them this morning. For $15 its a no brainer. So much more comfortable. You wont even know the headphones are on your head and no more slipping and such. I cant believe the difference. Db are definitely better too so I assume you would be able to hear whispers much better. I would love to know how ear gels compare to the Peltormod or GG phones.