Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XLT verses DFX?

Tony (Michigan)

I've read that some folks who have an XLT and a DFX believe their XLT outdetects their DFX.
One person recently said his XLT goes deeper than his DFX and identifies targets better at depth. What are your thoughts on this?

I found it to be so.. XLT was deeper in my dirt.
The DFX did work better at the beach..

The DFX came from the factory with pretty mild programs. This enabled the detector to used most anywhere in the USA and remain stable and quiet Most folks with DFX's never took the time to actually learn how to use the DFX any way other than using the factory programs. In my experience using many White's detectors over the years and being a past White's dealer, I had the opportunity to try most all the different models from early TR detectors thru the Eagles, Spectrums, XLT, DFX, and the V3i. I currently have three DFX's among others. If you take the time to learn the DFX, it will beat the XLT in every type of detecting I can think of. IMHO.

My thoughts are the people who say that don't know how to adjust their DFX. It has long been said that the best detector is the one you know how to use............ how true that is.

I used the DFX for many years and had several XLT's. Both are great detectors, for the time, but the DFX was a far better detector in my experience.

I think it is like has been stated. The DFX came with very conservative programs to make it easy and stable for even beginners, but you learn the detector and it is a monster. Even to this day I still believe the DFX has the best/most accurate target ID system on the market. Not as deep, but a better system.

Probably the best beginner to expert detector ever made. A first timer could use the DFX and do well right from the get go, and in the hands of an experienced DFX'er it still kills.

I have to admit that I've had a DFX for many years and I never really took the time to REALLY understand the full capabilities of the machine.
I did borrow some programs off the internet years ago, set them up and saved them. But still, they need tweeked when run for better depth.
I recently got the book: "DFX: From Beginner to Advanced" by Clive James Clynick.

What do you folks think about this book?

Tony N (Michigan) said:
DFX: From Beginner to Advanced" by Clive James Clynick.

What do you folks think about this book?

Well worth the money.

On dimes averaged out to be 2 inches in almost all solid dirt areas.. I could hit 7" in most school yards on dimes , and the DFX seemed to be locked in at around 5" in my dirt..
I'm not saying at all the DFX wasn't a decent machine... It hit solid .. I'm only saying the XLT was slightly deeper..Let's be honest Neither one is a depth demon..Their just all around decent detectors that work well in most areas.. Their both a fun detector to use....and I found many good targets with both machines..

The statements re how the DFX is factory set (very tame) and its capabilities are what I found to be true. I had many years of regular hunting on both DFX & Xlt and owned them concurrently for quite a while. I've used all the flagship Whites detectors since the 6000 Di was new. All the eagles, spectrums right through my current V3i.
The DFX has a much faster processor than the XLT.
Works better in iron (small coil) for sniffing coins.
Has an expanded preamp gain - more resolution to the setting.
Dual frequency works much better on a saltwater beach.
The DFX is best understood with Jeff Foster's book, Digging Deeper with the DFX.
I did dig silver dimes just over 6" with careful creeping.

The XLT found me a many silver coins (but there were more in the ground then), seemed to lock on really well. In my soil 5 to 6 inches on a silver dime with good ID was about it. The audio circuit does go deeper if you enjoy tone ID and / or mixed mode audio.
The XLT can be swung at a faster rate if you are in a hurry to process a lot of ground.

Most important is you need a small test plot with some targets at the edge of readable depth (barely detectable) to learn it faster. Many settings potentially impact or settings and the incremental adjusting and testing over a plot will reveal the abilities of both models. One favorite trick was putting a small gold ring on a mineralized rock as a challenge to all detectors.
These things are the first to come to mind. Either is worthy for someone new to detecting who can get one on the cheap.
I've been away from these forums due to many factors (travel, and now surgery) and look forward to getting back to digging soon.
HH - Bruce

The statements re how the DFX is factory set (very tame) and its capabilities are what I found to be true. I had many years of regular hunting on both DFX & Xlt and owned them concurrently for quite a while. I've used all the flagship Whites detectors since the 6000 Di was new. All the eagles, spectrums right through my current V3i.
The DFX has a much faster processor than the XLT.
Works better in iron (small coil) for sniffing coins.
Has an expanded preamp gain - more resolution to the setting.
Dual frequency works much better on a saltwater beach.
The DFX is best understood with Jeff Foster's book, Digging Deeper with the DFX.
I did dig silver dimes just over 6" with careful creeping.

The XLT found me a many silver coins (but there were more in the ground then), seemed to lock on really well. In my soil 5 to 6 inches on a silver dime with good ID was about it. The audio circuit does go deeper if you enjoy tone ID and / or mixed mode audio.
The XLT can be swung at a faster rate if you are in a hurry to process a lot of ground.

Most important is you need a small test plot with some targets at the edge of readable depth (barely detectable) to learn it faster. Many settings potentially impact or settings and the incremental adjusting and testing over a plot will reveal the abilities of both models. One favorite trick was putting a small gold ring on a mineralized rock as a challenge to all detectors.
These things are the first to come to mind. Either is worthy for someone new to detecting who can get one on the cheap.
I've been away from these forums due to many factors (travel, and now surgery) and look forward to getting back to digging soon.
HH - Bruce

Thanks, Bruce for your thoughts on this.
I've decided to get a V3i. It comes in on Tuesday. I've read a lot of good about it and watched YouTube vids on it. I got a great deal on a used one with three coils. Plus I have the 13" Ultimate coil for it.
I hope you recover quickly from your operation and can get out there hunting soon!

Tony, you'll love your new V3i. The XLT was my main detector for about 15 years. Tried the DFX for a couple years. It was a good detector, and better than the XLT in many ways (but not for simplicity, though, that's for sure!). Bruce very nicely explained the main differences. But then after a couple years I went with a V3i and never looked back. The V3i is like a DFX on steroids. All the advantages of the DFX but far better in every way. The V3i's a little overly sensitive to having a perfect ground balance, but you'll soon get used to that. Small price to pay for the great performance.

Anyone who likes the DFX will *love* the V3i. Great choice!

Wayfarer said:
Tony, you'll love your new V3i. The XLT was my main detector for about 15 years. Tried the DFX for a couple years. It was a good detector, and better than the XLT in many ways (but not for simplicity, though, that's for sure!). Bruce very nicely explained the main differences. But then after a couple years I went with a V3i and never looked back. The V3i is like a DFX on steroids. All the advantages of the DFX but far better in every way. The V3i's a little overly sensitive to having a perfect ground balance, but you'll soon get used to that. Small price to pay for the great performance.

Anyone who likes the DFX will *love* the V3i. Great choice!

Hi Wayfarer,
Once I get it I will need to learn how to adjust it for all the different scenarios that are thrown at me.
Some of the old coins around where I live are very deep at 10 or more inches. Then there are some old homes I've detected around here where the old coins may only be around 5 to 6 inches and some 10 inches.
Some places, such as the very old farm which I live on is absolutely riddles with square cut iron nails and other trash they just tossed in the yards over almost 200 years. It's a nightmare. It's not impossible but for the last 20 years it has helped me hone my skills. Trashy parks are usually a piece of cake after detecting here on this trash hell farm.
Basically, I'm going to need to line up my adjustments so I can adjust them on the fly so I can go to them and back to the main detecting screen.