Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yellow Stuff

Back working my recent spot. Had to take a break with the hard rains and sore back. Yep I can relate to having back pains, especially after several hours of shoveling and bending over. Snow is virtually gone here at the claim but still some in the higher country and the more densely wooded areas. Took your advise and paid more attention to my proper sluice set up. Worked as it should. Below are some pics a of my workings and some photos of that “yellow stuff.”
What size classifiers are you using ?
Find any nuggets over 1/4" ??
I'd be interested in using a detector where the water goes over ground to the left when it really high.
Maybe dig a few holes down to bed rock there.

Before I run my cons through a sluice or even when just panning, I like to classify my gravels with a stacked 1/2” then to a 1/4” classifier. Every once in awhile I do find a nugget that doesn’t pass through 1/4.” There’s a previous post that shows a nugget spotted in a 1/2” classifier. A rare occasion that required some picture taking. Below are several photos illustrating the size and type of gold that I have been getting on my claim. As you can see, the area might be a metal detector’s paradise.

Attachments

• DA49A2FA-B858-49A7-A02B-C447F53381EF.jpeg
    DA49A2FA-B858-49A7-A02B-C447F53381EF.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 33
  • CD98703D-4C3B-4C01-A5DD-1D039284B4ED.jpeg
    CD98703D-4C3B-4C01-A5DD-1D039284B4ED.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Nice haul you have there. Snows pretty much gone around Boise also accept a few norther facing areas above 6,000. Water is running to fast in some lower areas but smaller creeks are looking good. Went up to the old Adelmann mine site above Lucky Peak Reservoir today and got some nice pictures. Unfortunately it’s prohibited to do any prospecting there.
A high frequency vlf or a pi will hit on that size gold.

Before I run my cons through a sluice or even when just panning, I like to classify my gravels with a stacked 1/2” then to a 1/4” classifier. Every once in awhile I do find a nugget that doesn’t pass through 1/4.” There’s a previous post that shows a nugget spotted in a 1/2” classifier. A rare occasion that required some picture taking. Below are several photos illustrating the size and type of gold that I have been getting on my claim. As you can see, the area might be a metal detector’s paradise.
Awesome. Thanks for posting.

Nice haul you have there. Snows pretty much gone around Boise also accept a few norther facing areas above 6,000. Water is running to fast in some lower areas but smaller creeks are looking good. Went up to the old Adelmann mine site above Lucky Peak Reservoir today and got some nice pictures. Unfortunately it’s prohibited to do any prospecting there.
A high frequency vlf or a pi will hit on that size gold.

Thank you Matt and also thank you Odanscoils. Nice to hear you got out into some nice country. Please take no offense to when I say that Boise is a nice place to visit but too “urban” for this woodland hermit. lol. It sounds like you know your detector coils. I am a novice at metal detecting and so if you could elaborate a little more on the VFL (what the initials stands for) and the differences between that and the PI - pulse indicator? Just a guess on those initials. Any suggestions on a metal detector with the above coil recommendations? I have had interest in trying to acquire an older Minelab model SD2300. I know that was a good model in its hay day by the reviews but perhaps I am behind the eight ball and you or others have better experiences with newer more recent models. Just to be clear, I would have to pass on anything costing above $2,500. Anyway on another note, I thought I’d share some photos of how course my gold can be. It’s not uncommon to find a piece or two with quartz attached to it at the end of each prospecting day. Not a day goes by that I don’t wonder how close I am to the source. May all your pans be blessed with gold.

Attachments

• IMG_4159.jpeg
    IMG_4159.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4160.jpeg
    IMG_4160.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4161.jpeg
    IMG_4161.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 18
Thank you Matt and also thank you Odanscoils. Nice to hear you got out into some nice country. Please take no offense to when I say that Boise is a nice place to visit but too “urban” for this woodland hermit. lol. It sounds like you know your detector coils. I am a novice at metal detecting and so if you could elaborate a little more on the VFL (what the initials stands for) and the differences between that and the PI - pulse indicator? Just a guess on those initials. Any suggestions on a metal detector with the above coil recommendations? I have had interest in trying to acquire an older Minelab model SD2300. I know that was a good model in its hay day by the reviews but perhaps I am behind the eight ball and you or others have better experiences with newer more recent models. Just to be clear, I would have to pass on anything costing above $2,500. Anyway on another note, I thought I’d share some photos of how course my gold can be. It’s not uncommon to find a piece or two with quartz attached to it at the end of each prospecting day. Not a day goes by that I don’t wonder how close I am to the source. May all your pans be blessed with gold.
Really nice chunky gold.
I'd say your at the source or very close.
Some looks like it's acid etched out of host rock.
Here's a glossary of detecting terms at Minelab site.
Garrett Goldmaster 24k may serve you well there.
Some like the Minelab gold monster 1000.
Both are cheaper and simpler than the higher end gold machines. Watch videos on utub.

Really nice chunky gold.
I'd say your at the source or very close.
Some looks like it's acid etched out of host rock.

I agree that the source has to be nearby with the type of gold I am finding. I’ve researched and have not found any information as to whether any mineshafts or hard rock mines were established in the area. With that said, I’ll continue to dream of that “potential Motherload” as I keep plugging away at the river gold.

Here's a glossary of detecting terms at Minelab site.
Garrett Goldmaster 24k may serve you well there.
Some like the Minelab gold monster 1000.
Both are cheaper and simpler than the higher end gold machines. Watch videos on utub.

Wow a great link with tremendous info on Minelab metal detecting. I also will look into the u tube channels. I’ve heard a lot of good things on the Garrett Goldmaster. The price is reasonable and it seems to have simple features that even a newcomer like me could grasp. Thanks a bunch!

I agree that the source has to be nearby with the type of gold I am finding. I’ve researched and have not found any information as to whether any mineshafts or hard rock mines were established in the area. With that said, I’ll continue to dream of that “potential Motherload” as I keep plugging away at the river gold.

Wow a great link with tremendous info on Minelab metal detecting. I also will look into the u tube channels. I’ve heard a lot of good things on the Garrett Goldmaster. The price is reasonable and it seems to have simple features that even a newcomer like me could grasp. Thanks a bunch!
Hi. I owned the 24k with both DD and the little concentric. Very good machine. I just recently sold it and got an Algo Force 1500 PI. Id back the 24k as the best VLF to date for gold.

Your welcome.
Any more questions just fire away.
Many of us old farts hanging around here.

Sounds like a good prospect to follow the gold.
As you work your way up. When the gold starts petering out. You've just past the source.
Love to see you find it and retire young.