Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yesterday’s painful loss

Ronstar

I wasnt sure I could post this yesterday but as we found out more I felt I had to. If I can share anything from a loss that helps another then I can do it. I dont mean to be long but it has bearing.

Monday night was normal, take the dog out so he can do his doggy duty. Everything normal, ran back up the stairs and chowed down his dental treat just before bedtime around 10:30pm. Twelve hours later he crossed the rainbow bridge.
In 2019 Cooper, a spaniel cross mix began to develop a mass on his nose. We had it checked and the vet at the time diagnosed it as a “something” wart not all that uncommon. We were to monitor it for the time being (when we took him in it was the size of a pea). It continued to grow about three times its size but the vet continued to not be overly concerned. He also had two warts on his back which would grow, pop and dry up and repeat occasionally. Finally in August of this year the “wart” on his nose was about the size of 6-7 stacked nickels and it broke open. In to vet we went. New vet believes it should be removed and sent to lab. Little guy made it thru that just fine but had to wear the collar of shame for a few days. We got the call the mass was malignant cancer but the surgeon was confident she got it all, he was his happy ADHD self. Everything good for two years.
In early November he started to slow down (just into 13th year soooo…) By end of the month he was not eating his normal dry food but still took his treats, we switched over to a wet food and he ate small portions. Drank plenty of water so we monitored. Late November we noticed his left eye lid wasnt opening so vet got us in. Eye drops and a pain pill a day, drops were for very low eye pressure. On December 4th he pretty much stopped eating so we called the vet. We were told to monitor for any neurological changes or personality changes as the nose cancer may have made to his brain. On Dec 7 he stayed outside and played a bit in the snow and made his usual farm security check and inside by dark. Played a little fetch with the wife and after his nightly walk went “Ni-Ni” as usual.
At 4:30 am we were wakened by what sounded like some drunk walking thru the room crashing into stuff. Cooper was unable to stand and had no balance, his left side seemed paralyzed. There is no vet service that time of the night here so the wife and I got him prone and slept on the floor with him and kept petting and talking to him. We knew what we had to do and made that call at 8:00, the vet could be here at 10:00. We said our goodbyes, cried, and waited. The vet noted his left side was simply no longer working, a brain function. We hadnt noticed his left eye was blood shot and had no control of movement. He was put to sleep humanely.
I post this as we wonder if we shouldnt have fought more in his behalf. Why didnt the (then) vet suggest removal and lab check when it was early? Would it have prolonged his stay on earth longer? He never seemed to have pain or discomfort with the mass, in fact he was called FrontSight by those in the campgrounds (with his ears up and looking at him from behind the bump looked like a front sight on a firearm). This event happened so fast it was unreal.
If it doesnt look right or seem right advocate for your silent child, it could be significant to their well being.
Thanks for me get this out.
Ron

Attachments

• AE134846-23FD-4111-9C0F-E5051554FDF2.jpeg
    AE134846-23FD-4111-9C0F-E5051554FDF2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
  • 6E45BD49-2B14-4C4F-87C6-8D77673E2F28.jpeg
    6E45BD49-2B14-4C4F-87C6-8D77673E2F28.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
  • 802B24B8-3E05-4507-B2CE-AD5422B1BBE4.jpeg
    802B24B8-3E05-4507-B2CE-AD5422B1BBE4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 131
Mr. & Mrs. Ron,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful dog.

We had a Boston Terrier back years ago, and he was unbelievably smart. Talking to him was like talking to another person. At age 10, he started having bleeding spells from his nose. Vet x-rayed him and found cancer in his sinus cavity. We were told that this was the beginning of the end, to take him home and enjoy him, and that we would know when the time came to put him to sleep. A few weeks later, it was time. That memory still hurts today. We have another Boston now that is 12, and going blind. It hurts, but we know the time is coming for her, too. Sorry for your loss of a family member. Canine cancer is not easy to treat. You did all you could.

It's sad when a partner leaves, I know what they're going through. I myself lost my dog after twelve years accompanying me on every outing, my most faithful companion and friend. I did not go out with the detector for several years. I am so sorry for the loss of her. A hug

I feel for you Ron. I dread the day when my girl has her day. In the meantime my wife googles anything and everything that has to do with her. We checked the ratings on her vet. information on her food and treats. She was given treats that once in awhile caused a reaction kinda like a whooping cough. Come to find out the jerky was made in China and known in the past to have killed dogs. We say no to China and switched to jerky made in the U.S.A and human grade. she hasn't had any problems since. Dog lovers be sure your dog food is grain free. Most of the crap out there isnt good for your dog. The grain causes infections especially in the ears

He pretty much ate the same food all his adult life. We did watch the treats he was given so he didnt get overweight, as hyper activity as he was he remained lean and healthy. I just cant figure how the little guy got a melanoma on his nose and the vets just declared it a wart. But I’m no doctor…….

So sorry for your families loss Ron.. any time you get 10 years out of them they start living on borrowed time..no need to second guess or torment yourself with survivors guilt …. You can assume that if you took action earlier he would have been OK but you really never know,in fact it could have made it worse…. Similar thing happen to my dog in my avatar..She was 13 and had a small pimple on her ankle which soon grew rapidly and bled often..We nursed her by changing the dressing twice a day and wrapping it in gauze and duct tape..more than once I came home to her laying in a pool of her own blood to weak to stand due to blood loss..
every time this happened I would give her green tea with honey and after a half hour she would be better..
Rest easy knowing you gave your doggie a good life and his suffering was brief…

Sorry for your loss I had to put down my German Short hair a couple years ago She was 24. "Stinky" as we called her for her ability to kill skunks with no care about being sprayed led a charmed life. She was ran over 3 times and became pregnant at 19 which nearly killed her. I could go on forever sorry to hijack your post. I have started a new short hair which is trying my patience at times lol but good for the heart and soul. He was born the same hour and day I put ole stinky down, funny how things work out.
HH Jeff

I wasnt sure I could post this yesterday but as we found out more I felt I had to. If I can share anything from a loss that helps another then I can do it. I dont mean to be long but it has bearing.

Monday night was normal, take the dog out so he can do his doggy duty. Everything normal, ran back up the stairs and chowed down his dental treat just before bedtime around 10:30pm. Twelve hours later he crossed the rainbow bridge.
In 2019 Cooper, a spaniel cross mix began to develop a mass on his nose. We had it checked and the vet at the time diagnosed it as a “something” wart not all that uncommon. We were to monitor it for the time being (when we took him in it was the size of a pea). It continued to grow about three times its size but the vet continued to not be overly concerned. He also had two warts on his back which would grow, pop and dry up and repeat occasionally. Finally in August of this year the “wart” on his nose was about the size of 6-7 stacked nickels and it broke open. In to vet we went. New vet believes it should be removed and sent to lab. Little guy made it thru that just fine but had to wear the collar of shame for a few days. We got the call the mass was malignant cancer but the surgeon was confident she got it all, he was his happy ADHD self. Everything good for two years.
In early November he started to slow down (just into 13th year soooo…) By end of the month he was not eating his normal dry food but still took his treats, we switched over to a wet food and he ate small portions. Drank plenty of water so we monitored. Late November we noticed his left eye lid wasnt opening so vet got us in. Eye drops and a pain pill a day, drops were for very low eye pressure. On December 4th he pretty much stopped eating so we called the vet. We were told to monitor for any neurological changes or personality changes as the nose cancer may have made to his brain. On Dec 7 he stayed outside and played a bit in the snow and made his usual farm security check and inside by dark. Played a little fetch with the wife and after his nightly walk went “Ni-Ni” as usual.
At 4:30 am we were wakened by what sounded like some drunk walking thru the room crashing into stuff. Cooper was unable to stand and had no balance, his left side seemed paralyzed. There is no vet service that time of the night here so the wife and I got him prone and slept on the floor with him and kept petting and talking to him. We knew what we had to do and made that call at 8:00, the vet could be here at 10:00. We said our goodbyes, cried, and waited. The vet noted his left side was simply no longer working, a brain function. We hadnt noticed his left eye was blood shot and had no control of movement. He was put to sleep humanely.
I post this as we wonder if we shouldnt have fought more in his behalf. Why didnt the (then) vet suggest removal and lab check when it was early? Would it have prolonged his stay on earth longer? He never seemed to have pain or discomfort with the mass, in fact he was called FrontSight by those in the campgrounds (with his ears up and looking at him from behind the bump looked like a front sight on a firearm). This event happened so fast it was unreal.
If it doesnt look right or seem right advocate for your silent child, it could be significant to their well being.
Thanks for me get this out.
Ron
Ron, I am so sorry for your loss,

Jeff

Hello. I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, it is always hard if a family member/friend will have to leave and I praise the Lord for every day we have with our friends/members. You asked for opinions about not doing something earlier as they can do so many things to fight against this terrible illness, but how do you explain chemo or irradiation and their side effects to your puppie? Think you did your best to Cooper and he knows that for sure; he's waiting for you still in a different place.

I truly appreciate all the responses. Sometimes one just needs to reach out and the hands that come back to help pull you up is amazing. Still hard breaking the routine of daily things we did but it does get better as they say! Including a pic of the big boy we semi adopted some 10 years ago, after a couple of hours of “sniffing” out the competition they became inseparable. Bear was 13 yrs as well and it was found he had a large mass in his chest that no one knew about. Both are back together we believe……

Attachments

• B41CAD77-BD07-4F7B-8FAF-F6DFE1E2807B.jpeg
    B41CAD77-BD07-4F7B-8FAF-F6DFE1E2807B.jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 126