Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"You’re not going to get anything here."

JoeVal

"I see guys here all the time metal detecting, and they say all the good stuff is gone from here. You’re just wasting your time."

This was the advice I received this morning from a fella walking his dog in the park I was hunting. Interestingly, I was digging a quarter from 8” when he walked by and imparted his wisdom upon me. I thanked him for his sage advice, and said I just might as well quit now and go somewhere else. He walked on and I went on to dig the rest of this small cache of coins.

Not sure if it was kids or adults detecting here, but when I got a nice loud 31 screaming at me from just below the grass, I looked to see that the spot had been dug up before. I just moved the dirt with my hand and found that whoever dug this hole, put back the large disc that looks like a watch back. Really?? Putting your trash back in the hole? I must say, this is the first time I’ve seen this.

The other picture is the penny I dug at the full length of the pinpointer at 10”. The Equinox signaled like that penny was sitting on the grass. What a crazily amazing machine. I think I just might keep it in the herd.:clapping:

Anyway, today’s goal was to find $2.50, which would put me at $100 of dug coins since July 22nd. I made it, and think I’ll visit this "hunted out park" again in the near future. :super:

Reminds me of a recent find of mine. I got a signal over an obviously previously dug plug. I flipped it open and found a flattened piece of cooper pipe,,, or so I initially thought. After rubbing it off a little I noticed some very small text. It turned out to be an old lipstick tube from the 40's. Needless to say I was quite please with the previous guys trash he covered back up.

Every now and then I come across another hunter stating those famous words. I remember this elderly gent exiting his vehicle and walking over to tell me he and his buddies cleaned this particular place out AND that I was wasting my time. <-----this event took place 28 years ago.

I just went along with him and smiled. Seconds before this gent pulled up I had just placed a 1914 Barber dime in my pocket. Sure mister its cleaned out :rofl:

To this day, I still find silver and wheats in this place. Granted it is becoming extremely difficult, but I persist!

Congrats on a nice "cleaned out" hunting area!! :cheers:

My son and I were hunting an old national guard armory that was no longer in use. Had a gentleman walk across the street and strike up a conversation. As we talked he informed me that he had already removed every coin from the park next door and from the grounds of the old armory. I did not have the heart to tell him that my son had just dug his first silver coin. I also did not have the heart to tell him that not only had I dug a lot of clad out of those two properties that I had dug 13 silver coins out of them. My sons find made number 14. Yes it was hunted out. For some reason I think he may have been mistaken.

Yeah right is all I say 'hunted out' heck I hunted a park two times that's been absolutely killed over the years its right near a huge popular beach
I think the second time I hunted it I got my first gold coin lol!
I keep going back just pulled a 1876 CC seated quarter there in sept..and we never find CC coins here..

Have to smile. I have found coins in places I thought I had hunted out, I guess you and they never get them all...Brian Smith

"You're not going to get anything here" is the invitation/challenge I am looking for, to bad you didn't find much LOL:rofl:
Jeff

I still hunt hunted out old parks and usually go home with a silver or two. I've come to some conclusions as to why I can hunt the exact same spot over time, and why I and others have missed the so called obvious deeper targets. The most obvious is trying to cover too much ground too quick, swinging the coil much too fast. I've slowed way down to about 3-4 second sweeps, listening for that short quick one way blip in the headset. Doing a 360 degree sweep around that single little high pitched one way whisper, some directions you get no blips at all. Usually there is one position where you can pull out a double sound sweeping. So, in addition to freezing / thawing moving the coin (target), soil moisture and halo conditions, I believe it's the luck of the draw on sweeping going the right direction. Ninety percent of my decision to dig is based on the sound coming from a quality pair of earphones, the other 10% is for verification, depth and pinpointing.

Reminds me of two facts of metal detecting. You can't fool mother nature, but 9-12 inch bottle caps can fool you :ranting:

I much prefer hunting place that are "hunted out". :thumbup:

Most of the moderately deep trash (like pull tabs and bottle caps), and 'iffy' signals have already been cleaned out...
...leaving the deep silver signals.

mike

Congrats on the great finds !

Never believe anyone when they tell you a site is "Hunted Out" !

Five years ago I was in Maine for two months getting my Mother In Law's house ready to sell.
There was a small 200 ft. long beach a few miles from her house that was located only a 1/4 mile down the coast from a 1600's military fort.

The first time I went to hunt the beach the homeowner in the house next door told me - " Don't even waste your time trying to find anything on that beach - I've lived here for 20 years and I see people out there with metal detectors all the time".
Well, after hunting this beach a dozen times ( mainly at night and during low tides) he was right - there was nothing to be found.
Except for the (125 plus - a real number ! ) - 1700's & 1800's coins and relics, pieces of jewelry and modern coins that I found !

Good Hunting !

Yeah Ive been to hunted out areas many times ,but i never ask myself why do i still go there. may its because i still add stuff to my pouch! ARRH MR HARDEES billybones chgo

One of my last of the year was at a court house lawn. I had an older gentleman come and tell I wasn't going to find anything there as he had hunted it out years ago and there had been a lot of construction to the building and the ground had been torn up many times. All the while he is telling me this I had 2 mercury dimes, a silver button, a gold ring, 7 Buffalo's, about 15 wheat's and pile of clad in my pouch. I told him that I had found a few keepers, which of course he couldn't believe. So I showed him the mercury dimes. He was dumbfounded, then proceeded to ask what machine I was using. I told him Mine lab E-trac. He said well I wouldn't pay that much money for a metal detector, and walked away. It was a great day.

JoeVal, your post put a smile on my face. I hunted an old trailer park that a detectorist told me about. He must have been a newbie because he didn't fill his holes. Of course I swung my coil over his unfilled holes before filling them in. On one of the holes I got a strong 86-87 reading on my old XLT and noticed a rusty bottle cap on the top of the pile of dirt. The signal? It was a large sterling silver ID bracelet. No site is ever hunted out! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I hear those hunted out stories all the time as well and realize that the guy telling me is an octogenarian. Not that that's a bad thing and God Bless him, but, the machines they used to use back in the day really can't compare to the machines in the here and now. And besides, one of the older fellas told me once that a particular park was a SEA of silver. It still was, but far and few between I'm afraid! LOL!

Nice haul and keep up the good work! I used all my clad to GET MORE EQUIPMENT!

Ed

Similar experience a few years back. Local park that at one time was a ball park and an old national guard armory next door. My son and I were detecting the old armory property when a gentleman came by and told me that we were wasting our time as he had dug every coin out of those two properties. I had dug a lot of clad out of those two properties and we were just looking for stuff I had missed. A few minutes before the gentleman came by my son had just dug his first silver coin. I did not have the heart to tell the gentleman that he missed 14 silver coins in those two properties. I still go back occasionally to hunt that silver coin that I am sure that I missed.

When I'm detecting and people come over and start asking questions I point to my headphones and say in a loud voice "I Can't Hear You" specially if it's kids.

I had a guy stop and tell me he had been hunting a tear down lot not far from my house. Said I wasn't going to find much. That his Teknetics T2 was the bomb. I was using my 705 with the 6" Digger coil.
He got very quiet and somewhat angry when I told him over the last few days I had pulled over 300 wheats, Indians, war nickles and various silver dimes from the lot.
Either he had no idea how to use his equipment or it was a ploy to get me to leave the lot.
4 blocks away I had a gent show up with his detector, told me the same thing. I told him I had been there about 2 hours and pulled 52 wheats and 7 mercs out. People can sure be funny sometimes.