Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Your GPS thoughts

duggr

Going to make life easier on me and purchase a handheld GPS
unit for marking my farm field and other "Hot Spots".. Any Ideas
which would be a Good unit that I can down load
topos, and what ever else I may need.. I have no Idea what to
look for and would rather hear from someone who has already
learned what is needed....Money doesn't matter
as I would rather spend it once, rather finding out down the road
I wished that I would have purchased a more expensive model because
of the needed options that make it easier and more productive...
Thanks Guy's,
Doug

Guys, check out the gps forum. Your question is better placed there,http://www.findmall.com/list.php?16

sorry i do not download topo's to a gps.
I simply use google earth for finding what i need.
Once i do this i have the coordinates for the spot through google earth.
Then i manually put the coordinates on my gps.

martygene said:
I am wondering the same thing and am disappointed that no one has responded about this

Ive been looking around and found a great program for my android tablet...Called Maprika!
Check Out You Tube

Here's one especially developed for metal detecting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trib.app.tectotrak

GKMan said:
Guys, check out the gps forum. Your question is better placed there,http://www.findmall.com/list.php?16

Doesn't look like the GPS forum gets much action:shrug:. Most posts are from 2013.

Unfortunately neither of these subforums see much action... I could talk all day long about old maps.. But other folks just don't seem that interested

I use a Garmin GPSMap64s. I like it. its nice and accurate and I can download topo maps on there and turn them on and off as I need them. its about 300 or 350. But to me its worth the money. I also geocache too so its dual purpose. Depending on where I am hunting I will mark finds and plot my track. I found that marking the finds gives you a good idea on a certain layout of a camp or something like that. As for the tracking, its great on large areas so I know where I have been and where I haven't. I hope this helps out. I had a Garmin Oregon 450 (I think that's the model) But I did not like the touch screen and it was harder to mark waypoints. The 64s has buttons with no touch screen. That is what I prefer.

Thanks for your reply, I have been looking at the Garmin 64 series...

I also use the Garmin 64s for geocaching. It really comes in handy and the antena is really good under cover. My phone (Nexus 5x) works very well but once under cover starts to loose signal.

most if not all of the high end garmins will do Garmin mapquest has all the topo maps there are also a very few 3rd party compatible maps that work with garmin. I use a garmin rino 530 for this, I'm sure other brands will work just as well but I have been using garmins for over 20 years.