Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

17" Coil Maiden Voyage finds GOLD!

tiftaaft

I just received my new (to me) 17" coil for my CTX (Thanks Don Tyler).. so I couldn't wait to give it a test run. I headed out to the middle school near my house, and after an enlightening post on running a high disc pattern in High Trash (Thanks IDXMonster!) I headed out across an adjacent soccer field. I only had an hour before dark but I wanted to see how the 17" handled and pinpointed. The school is a modern school, so I wasn't expecting anything but good target practice on some modern clad... I have to say... I am LOVING this coil!. I hour later... 6 quarters, 10 nickles, 7 dimes, 6 memorials, 2 canadian pennies and a 10 gram 14K Gold Band!!! Can't wait for tomorrow!!

Thanks Flysar. I am pretty excited.

I also forgot to say the most important thanks.. A huge Thank You to Flysar for letting me test drive his 17" coil and convincing me I needed one!

sitedude said:
Very nice find guys. Flysar/Tiftaaft might have to get me on of those coils. How's depth for you both?

I can't say I have found anything deeper than the stock coil.
Main reason I use it is for quicker survey/coverage of sports fields, school yards, beaches, and trying to find home sites or schools that are no longer visible (plowed fields, woods, etc).

sitedude said:
Very nice find guys. Flysar/Tiftaaft might have to get me on of those coils. How's depth for you both?

I haven't had a lot of time yet to get a good feel for depth, but I can say that the targets seem to hit hard. I was running Auto +3 tonight and there was no doubt on the coins I hit down to 6 inches. The ring was 4 inches and gave a solid 12-35 reading. I'm hoping to test out the depth more tomorrow on an older site.

I also agree with Flysar's comment... the coverage is great for larger open fields.

I'm on board with Flysar completely. It's not that the 17" NECESSARILY finds things the stock coil CANT....it makes it EASIER, and therefore a lot more PROBABLE.
Wow Tim! That's the way to kick it right in the ass! Nice work!

BIG CONGRATS on your 14kt Gold Ring my friend.:clapping:

Odd reading for the ring:confused:. Did you re-sweep the hole after you recovered it?
What does it air test?

Nice fatty! The 17" stays on my ctx for beach hunting. I found a 10.6 gram 10k ring last year that read solid 12-31. Guess we gotta dig those 12-3? Something numbers for those clunker gold finds. Hope everyone makes great finds this year HH.

John

sprchng said:
Odd reading for the ring:confused:. Did you re-sweep the hole after you recovered it?
What does it air test?

Hey sprchng, yes I rechecked the hole after I filled it back in, it was quiet. I just did an air test and it is a solid 12-35.

tiftaaft said:
sprchng said:
What does it air test?

Hey sprchng, yes I rechecked the hole after I filled it back in, it was quiet. I just did an air test and it is a solid 12-35.

Just goes to show.......I thought only big honkers read up that high toward the zincs.
This one was a solid 12-12 in the ground and the highest reading I could get in air was a 12-19

sprchng said:
tiftaaft said:
sprchng said:
What does it air test?

Just goes to show.......I thought only big honkers read up that high toward the zincs.
This one was a solid 12-12 in the ground and the highest reading I could get in air was a 12-19

W-W-W-Wow!! Speaking of honkers! That's a fine piece of hardware man!

I've found bands at 12-16 (thin) & 32 (thin but wide) and a West Point Class ring that gave a 12-42.
Gold is a crap shoot and nearly a dig it all above iron game if you want to make sure you don't miss them.
One thing they had in common were solid tones and CO number moved no more than 1.

I have 25 or 30 gold rings I have found in the dirt of all sizes and the highest reading was a 12-17 in the ground which was what made the 12-35 for that nice band in the OP surprising. Most of the gold I have found runs at nickel down to 12-03. The one I posted was 19 grams and the guy was barely thankful when i returned it:confused:

This is Don Tyler the one who sold the coil, In my travels I stopped counting gold rings after 450 I can tell you this. If you rely on numbers on your screen you will miss out on a lot of gold. You where very smart to dig that number, it paid off. Combination of things can make a gold object read crazy numbers. with my Excal I have found gold chains that sound like sparkler wire.

Quality Frederick Goldman ring there tiftaaft. 12-35 is an odd number for a gold ring and I usually dig pennies with that TID. I have found a cheap ring and a pendant at 12-35 or 12-36 which made me rethink skipping all those 12-30 numbers which I have been doing lately. Thanks for the post.