Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1901 S Barber Quarter. KEY :)

"Dr.Tones"

Ok guys. I initially wasn't going to post this. While I was hunting last week I unearthed literally the rarest US silver coin of the 20th century. A 1901 S Barber Quarter!!!! VF/XF (details) with environmental damages and a few scratches. Yes... It's a crying shame its a "dug" coin... But hey... It's the find of a lifetime. There's no doubt in my mind about it's authenticity. The site it was found at, simply put, hasn't been touched since around 1920. I've also had several local dealers (one of which was a former PCGS grader) tell me it's genuine. I know either way it needs to be graded and slabbed, but what are your thoughts? Value? Grade? Where to sell? Thanks! Still spinning! Idaho! On the map!!!

Awesome awesome find Tones!

No advise but I will offer a [size=x-large]HUGE[/size] congratulations Brandon. :clapping:

Excellent recovery. Could be in the mid to higher EFs, IMO. My advice? Keep doing what you're doing! I've sent coins to PCGS and NGC, with good results. Grading is somewhat arbitrary amongst the grading services. Serious collectors make their purchases on what they see, not what someone else tells them. But authentication is paramount. Don't get in a hurry to sell it. Silver prices will fluctuate. But rare "older" coins will maintain premium values. Congrats on such a rare find. HH Randy

Tones that is one rare coin you have congrats to that . As far as selling it I would sell it raw people who buy coins that are in the 20 grand plus are going to know what there buying . A big auction house well get you the best price on a super rare coin . There's no hurry in selling that coin as Digger said the coin well only appreciate in value so watching the coin market and waiting for rare coins to blast higher would be a wise thing to do . That would be the time to submit the coin to a auction house .:drool: sube

Thanks guys! I still can't believe it!

It is a find that takes my breath away absolutely beautiful!

Right on Brandon! Way to rock it!

slab it so you have a better idea of grade and worth... then the real decision, keep for an investment or sell...

Great dig!! IMHO, if you have kids or are going to have kids, then put this in a safety deposit box somewhere and let it sit for their college or whatever! Unless of course a big movie star like you needs cash for another movie, lol, putting it in a safe place well protected from the elements will only make it grow in value. If silver goes back up in value as it almost certainly will, then more silver coins will be melted and the collector value coins will just become more rare! Me personally, I wouldn't even get it appraised, just put it away for a rainy day. Some folks might say, sell it and use the money to invest, etc., but that is a fast way to lose the future.

Congrats on the find of a lifetime, only a few of us ever get to say! Gives us all hope the big one is still out there.

Very Nice coin, you have earned it for sure!:beers:

I would sell it or any high value "item" recovered to the highest bidder for the excitement of selling and enjoying the fruits of your hobby. For me having an item worth that much in a vault is useless, almost as bad a leaving it in the ground!:rofl:

There are other methods of saving for the future.:)

Nice score on that quarter. What are you gonna do with it?

I wish for everyone to find a key date coin such as that on a upcoming outing.

Enjoy

Sent the quarter in to get graded! Fingers crossed. Think good thoughts about positive grades ! Merry Chistmas!

Positive thoughts sent west!

OMG Brandon congratulations on a big one! Might fund a metal detecting trip to England dude with some change to spare? I remember the last 01 barber quarter I dug, turned it over and no mint mark:shrug: put it in a safe place because the words out, don't want a Jimmy Sierra ending on this story:ranting: