Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1914 D Wheat, Indian War Military Stuff, a Token...

"Dr.Tones"

My buddy Bill scored a permission on a piece of ground that has had some military activity since 1850. This spot was FULL of clad so we knew it had never been touched. Along with the clad came mountains of pull tabs. We knew there had to be great things underneath, so we were diligent. Soon time period cartridges started showing up followed by time period buttons and other military items. The old coins however, were few and far. It was almost like there was activity from 1850 to 1915 and then nothing until 1980. We did manage a few older coins including a 1905 S barber dime, a 42 merc, a 59 washington and a couple 58 rosies. Which was very strange because out of all the coins, we only found 2 wheats? Very odd for our area. Most of the time I dig 20 wheats to every silver. Bill was the first to pull a wheat. On day two I dug a wheat and without even looking at it a screamed "I got a wheat!" We had been joking about not finding them so I thought I'd fool around by acting excited to see one... and then... I looked at it... and I became legitimately excited. It's no 09 VDB S, but its the next best thing! The eagle button with some gold guilt left on it was another find that I had to look closely at. Up until this point ALL of my eagles have been Scoville buttons however this one read "Thos G Hood, Phil" which meant that this button was made by Mr Thomas G Hood in Philadelphia. Mr. Hood was only in business from 1878 to 1887 and these buttons were made specifically for the Indian wars of the west. Pretty neat stuff. Per our agreement with the land owner all military items were donated to a local "on base" military museum. The curator was amazed! What a dig! Thanks again Bill for lining this one up. Hopefully it will open some more doors. Oh! Right! The token! almost forgot. It was a cigar shop in Boise from 1916-1921.

Great job Tones. Nice story.

Cowboys and Indians stuff that's cool.

Good job on getting permission guys!! Nice write up Brandon, does Idaho have a token collectors club or reference book. Thomas register might be helpful identifying the business time and location.

The 'token catalog' (tokencatalog.com) could use a picture and listing of that token. They have a listing for a .25 cent one but not the 5 cent. Great finds as usual!!

Great post and finds Brandon :clapping:

I enjoyed your hunt through you. Bunch of nice finds and that 14d is very nice for it being dug. Very nice! HH jim tn

How awesome is finding a key date coin !! I've found somewhere between 6 to 7 thousand wheaties and not a one
is a 14D. Big congrats! :thumbup:

I got lucky for sure!