Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 facts I know about the CTX-3030!

BootyHunter

So all the buzz about this detector I just had to put my 2 cents in. This is a very polarizing topic as it seems the majority already either love it or hate it. I remember all the same kind of love/hate for the Etrac. Well the Etrac and Excal were my first Minelab machines and I bought them both the same day and have had some amazing results with them and I have owned other brand detectors. So the 2 facts I know about this new machine?
1. Minelab has been an inovator in the industry and introduced things like BBS and FBS, Smartfind, Iron Mask and Quick Mask. Basically made the 1st detector that you could dig good targets out of the same hole with iron nails and trash in it.
2. What is the last junk metal detector that they put out and more specifically what junk HIGH END detector have they ever put out?
So the most important fact I know about this machine is it is a Minelab. Will I go out and drop over 2 grand on it? Probably not, I think that I am just now really learning my Etrac and getting the results that it is capable of and I would be starting all over with this. But who knows if the results across the boards with everyone using them are just unfreakin' believable then I may consider it. All we can do is wait and see.

Two other facts that are known are the high price and the weight. Those two factors alone are enough for some people not to buy one. As I said before, if it can show better depth and separation than even a current Minelab using a good aftermarket coil then that will be a big selling point and may make some overlook the weight and price, but if another Minelab using the right coil can keep up in these respects then I see that really hurting it's sales. How many people will leave their current Minelab that they had to scrape up the money for, if they can do just as well performance wise with a good aftermarket coil? Not many, I would think. If that's the case the only major selling point will be being waterproof, but many already have an Xcal or some other waterproof machine as their second unit. I suspect if they can match performance with the right coil many won't see a reason to buy a heavier land unit than they already have.

I think it's going to go one of two ways. It's either going to sell really bad after the initial rush of buyers who just have to try everything new, or it's going to sell like hot cakes and maybe even be more of a success than the Etrac was in terms of number of units sold. I kind'a doubt that even if it does sell well it will match the sales of the Etrac, as it was very hard for many people to scrape up enough money to buy the Etrac. Add another $500 or so to that price and it's just plain beyond the financial reach of the vast majority of potential detector buyers.

It's a simple matter of economics. Most people can't afford to drive anything but a good baseline model car. It's rare to see the high end ones on the road unless you live in a well off area. Just based on a higher price alone you are limiting your potential market in shear numbers. There comes a point where people are not willing to pay a dime more, regardless of what kinds of extra features a more expensive car has, for instance.

Only time is going to tell, though. It's interesting to see people weigh these pros and cons as to how they justify buying or not buying one. As the performance factor issue is played out over the next several months I'll watch with interest how people weigh those issues out and rationalize the decision to buy or not buy. An interesting exploration of human nature, to say the least, and almost as interesting to watch as the actual performance factors and comparisons that will get discussed. I've got a lot of coffee and a comfortable chair at the computer to watch this unfold. Way better than what's on TV, anyway. :biggrin:

I keep seeing this "weight" issue being touted, how does anyone know the weight of a detector not yet released???? What is the proof of this "5 lb" weight?

No one knows for sure how much it is going to weight. There is a lot of new technology out there in relationship to lighter composite materials. Apple is looking at changing materials for the I-phone 5 to make it stronger and lighter.

Who knows, maybe it is lighter than the E-Trac with better balance, remember not only did everyone wish for a lot of these features this machine has, a lot of folks complained about the weight of the E-Trac as well. You can tell Minelab listened, not lets see how closely.

BCOOP

bcoop said:
No one knows for sure how much it is going to weight. There is a lot of new technology out there in relationship to lighter composite materials. Apple is looking at changing materials for the I-phone 5 to make it stronger and lighter.

Who knows, maybe it is lighter than the E-Trac with better balance, remember not only did everyone wish for a lot of these features this machine has, a lot of folks complained about the weight of the E-Trac as well. You can tell Minelab listened, not lets see how closely.

BCOOP
Yeah I can't see them coming out with such a progressive detector and then making it heavy which is what 99% of complaints are about with detectors in general. I just don't see them doing that, I mean look at the screen, it looks paper thin, I think they put the electronic and battery in the section that sits under your forearm which is what a straight shaft basically does, so it will seem lighter but I just don't know where these people get a number like 5lbs on a detector that hasn't even been released.

Looks like some may want to buy this to get thier arm ready for the new machine... I have one already. 18 days you could really build up your stamina in your swinging arm
http://www.dynaflexpro.com/store.php?crn=219&rn=476&action=show_detail

If this link is not allowed, my appologies in advance. :)

They've already reported the weight. 5.3 pounds. I dug up the weights of other Minelabs and the Explore Se Pro weighs 4.0 lbs. and the E-Trac is 4.8 lbs. So the new machine is a full 1.3 pounds heavier than the Explorer Se Pro, and the new machine is a half pound heavier than the Etrac. At first that might sound very do-able to some people, but remember the complaints from some about the weight of some aftermarket coils compared to their Pro Coils, and there wasn't as much difference in weight between them as it appears there is between these machines. Even a few extra ounces can make for shorter hunts due to fatigue. I know, as I ended up getting rid of the coil cover on my 12x10 and using spray on bedliner in order to drop a few ounces. It doesn't sound like much but it made a huge difference after a long hunt.

Minelab isn't exactly known for building light weight machines despite the advanced technology they put in them so I'd be surprised if the reported weight is wrong and it's lighter, as just with the GPS alone this machine has more components inside the box. So I bet the reported weight from some leakers over seas is dead on, as those who know the source say they've been spot on with all the details that have been leaked so far.

I don't know how much they listened in the design of this new machine, because two of the more popular concerns I've seen people ask for over the years has been a cheaper price and a lighter machine. Doesn't appear they addressed either one of those things.

I kept hearing about how great the balance was on my machine even though it was heavy. I'm in good physical shape and a young guy but after a hour or two it was too much for me, despite how well balanced it was. So I built a custom light weight shaft, lighter arm cup, and ran a lipo battery in it and dropped almost 1 and a half pounds off the weight. Much easier to hunt for hours now. In fact, might even be lighter than my Whites units such as the QXT Pro or 6000 Pro XL.

Remeber in the water it will not weigh that much thigs are light in the water , Im not going to cut it down lets just see how it performs, it will sell itself if its good . i like the GPS feature its hard to tell whear you have been when water detecting all the best to minelab. and this new detector

That's just it, that 5.3 lbs. statement come out of Europe (or somewhere) and was taken as "Gospel".-----Nobody knows if that statement is correct (as far as I know)---but it was just latched onto by a lot of folks.------No doubt the CTX IS a LITTLE heavier than the Etrac----but just look at the machine--with that straight shaft & configuration.---It's GOT to be much better balanced than the Etrac---can't help but be.-------Sure getting tired of hearing all this "horrendous weight" talk from the naysayers.----I sure hope Minelab lets us know tonight or tomorrow so that it can be settled.----Then all the talk will transfer over to the balance (or lack of). :tongue:------It ain't gonna be that bad!!!!---------Del

n/t

You'll know very soon Del, very soon! HH Randy

D&P-OR said:
That's just it, that 5.3 lbs. statement come out of Europe (or somewhere) and was taken as "Gospel".-----Nobody knows if that statement is correct (as far as I know)---but it was just latched onto by a lot of folks.------No doubt the CTX IS a LITTLE heavier than the Etrac----but just look at the machine--with that straight shaft & configuration.---It's GOT to be much better balanced than the Etrac---can't help but be.-------Sure getting tired of hearing all this "horrendous weight" talk from the naysayers

I'm not (tired of hearing all the naysayers). Before I start selling off things around the house to buy one I want to know everything, good or bad, that people have to say about it. Makes no sense to spend that kind of money without making sure we hear as much as we can, in as many "pro" or "con" respects as we can. Some seem to be more than willing to speculate on and run away with the good things that have been leaked and appear to be spot on so far, so why discount what they are also saying about the weight just because it appears to be one negative compared to all the other great and exciting things we've also heard? (Yes, I'm the worst nightmare of a customer a used car salesman has ever met. :smoke: )

I have high hopes that those who get one and decide to share their findings in the forum won't feel hesitant to share everything they feel about the machine, even if it isn't exactly something you'd score on the "pro" side of things. Judging by the reaction to even a few minor remarks about it's looks, I fear it doesn't look like some people will be willing to share even minor "gory" details along with the big positive ones from their field testing for fear of the kind of reaction they might get from others. Do we really want that kind of "held back" report in what should be an open exchange of impressions of this exciting new machine?

I want to hear it all, and only then will I be able to safely decide if I should lie, cheat, and steal my way to buying one. Of course I won't go that far, but I'm not beyond selling off a few "essential" items around the house and telling a few white "lies" to get there. :biggrin: Before that happens, I want to see numerous field reports, and not just glowing ones where they don't have one small thing in a negative way to say about it. That kind of report just makes me suspicious that they are holding back and don't want to upset people. No product, no matter how good it is, is without some negative points. I want to hear those, and I hope there are many others on here that want to hear them as well and will support those willing to share the full story in every detail so we can make the most educated decision on whether to buy it or not.

If the weight is balanced properly, you can swing a 6lbs detector all day. I added 10oz of lead to my E-trac the first day I got it.I put it 9" behind the arm cuff.Now you can swing it for many hours with no problems at all. Wife and I just finished a 36hr hunt on the outer banks with only 4 0r 5 20 min breaks.My G2 is more tiring to swing then my E-trac do to the improper balance.It's all physics my friends ;)

Bromly said:
If the weight is balanced properly, you can swing a 6lbs detector all day. I added 10oz of lead to my E-trac the first day I got it.I put it 9" behind the arm cuff.Now you can swing it for many hours with no problems at all. Wife and I just finished a 36hr hunt on the outer banks with only 4 0r 5 20 min breaks.My G2 is more tiring to swing then my E-trac do to the improper balance.It's all physics my friends ;)

Agreed. I said elsewhere that detectorists think weight is the only way or best way to make a detector effectively lighter. But balance is just as important. 5 lbs perfectly balanced is nothing. 3 lbs imperfectly balanced can feel terrible and hurt you.

If you got those E-Tracs dialed in you won't swing them long you will be digging a target. Just wait a couple of hours and then everyone will have the answers. Who knows maybe a 90 lb. weakling can swing the CTX 3030. HH :minelab:

Since I havent got the Etrac yet,maybe this one will be good.Like the waterproof feature.When on rallies in England it might rain:) then it doesnt matter.To all I have been reading and seen it attracts me a lot.Heavy it might be,but if the
balance is there,no problemo...

Mike the Swede

the overall length looks short.wondering if the shaft is adjustable.if the coil cable is coiled above the cam lock it might be adjustable.it would be a plus if the shaft and cuff were adjustable.it doesn't look modification friendly