Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 Tone Ferrous

Dr.Deus

Has anyone been experimenting with 2 tone ferrous in heavy patches of iron? I tried using open screen with combined mode but the ctx seems to false way too much. I tried using 2 tone ferrous a couple of times with the 6 inch coil.The ferrous line was set at 14 so basically anything less than that would ring out with a high tone and a low tone for everything 14 ferrous and above. It wasn't that bad actually, i was easily able to distinguish the difference between falsing and repeatable signals that were real targets. It didn't matter what the numbers said as long as the tone was a repeatable high tone for everything below 14 ferrous.Haven't had real good success with it yet as far as finding good coins because i think it still needs some tweaking. I was using auto+3 and i didn't play around with ground types so i just left it at ferrous- coin, i will work on that next time i go out. Any thoughts?

I have no experience with two tone, but if the CTX is falsing too much, reduce the sensitivity until you get stability.

Ok so if i were running combined audio in auto +3 and it was falsing too much, your saying reduce my sensitivity down to auto -3 first if i have to? then if the falsing is still noticeable at auto -3 then switch to manual and go down from there until i reach stability?

I used TTF a lot with my E-Trac and it worked great but with the processor speed of the CTX I no longer see an advantage. You may have to slow down in the trashy areas especially with the small coil along with what Larry suggested. If a good target is down there you will hear it . HH

You shouldn't have to go that extreme, but basically yes. A detector that is not running stable will drive you nuts. IMHO In auto, I seldom have to go less than +1 to get stability in my ground. Your instability could also be EMI, is the CTX noisy everywhere you use it? Another possibility is a bad coil or connector or even dirt in the coil cover if you are using one.

The area i am searching has little to no modern trash. it was basically an old structure that was completely leveled with no sign of anything being there in the first place. i spotted the building on an aerial photograph that was taken back in the late 1930s. I am searching is loaded with huge chunks of iron. To give you a better idea. If i used even the slightest discrimination the detector goes into a complete null state which makes it very difficult to find much.. I know good stuff is in there because so far i pulled up a 1892 V nickel. HH

No i hardly ever experience erratic behavior from the detector because of a EMI. This site is in the middle of the woods far away from anything that would cause EMI. I think its just falsing blips from large pieces of iron. Whenever i go to parks i can run auto +3 and the detector usually kicks me up to 27-31 sensitivity sometimes.

Nulling and falsing are not the same thing, but you probably already know that. Hunting in iron is never easy and sometimes you just have to listen to it all. The only suggestions I can make is go slow and use a small coil if you have one.

I run in TTF all the time in extreme nails at my relic site and it works very well.The high false signals are usually caused from the iron at the very bottom of the screen rolling over to the top of the screen on line one .I run in ground coin or high trash with the top line disced out except for around 1-33 through 1- 39 for largest silver.
The next time you get some of those false high signals note where the cross hairs are and I bet they will be at the very top of your screen and often far top right in the 1-50 area...

Ok thanks guys for all of the incredible information, once again i never doubt that people go above and beyond here on the forums. I will most likely get out sometime tomorrow and give some of these suggestions a try. I will also try to work on some other things regarding TTF and i should be able to report back with the results if i manage to come up with some feedback.Thanks again HH

Just stops those annoying high tone false signals that are mostly rusty square nails at my site.Still able to pick tiny pieces of lead out of continuous low iron grunts and at great depth.The CTX hits small/tiny low conductor targets much harder/deeper than my E-Trac or Explorers ever did.

Auto +3 will cause some falsing in my area. I only run it unless the ground is really clean. I like +2.