Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

30 months FEDERAL Pen (Tom, a TVA case for you)

Pretty sure most TVA employees aren't unionized. Maybe some contractors and such are. Anyone high enough to give you 'permission" wouldn't be union for sure. But I too think that you could beat it if you could prove Ignorance of the law AND believable Permission. Certainly a local park manager's ok would be good to have.
BUT as BH points out, what are you willing to pay in time, restoration fees, and lawyers?

TVA a-hats are serious and this isn't a 'sometimes enforce' thing that some seem to think it is. I don't think those of you that live far away are comprehending that. If they see you, they WILL cite you, seize everything of yours they can lay their grubby goobermint hands on, and charge you with anything their small minds can think of. Tom, you are doing a disservice to anyone who might follow your advice and I again invite you to come and hunt TVA property. I know of several excellent sites, both relics and modern and we'll invite TVA to your hunt as well. I note that its very easy to encourage people to break the law, but another thing entirely when you have to put your own butt on the line.

Stay safe, stay legal, and work to change what you don't like. Its the adult thing to do.

Booty Hunter: There is no problem with people that does not cause problems. No lost jobs just good public awareness. You forget who owns TVA. Go by the rules and you will have no problems. HH :minelab::fisher::teknetics:

Don't think for 1 second that these GuvMint employees would hesitate to gun you down if told to do so.The old "they wouldn't fire on fellow Americans" has been dead for a long time.

with all the flack that our police officers are receiving for shooting a criminal in the act of a crime do you think a government employee is going to shoot some one for metal detecting!!!!

Perhaps a refresher course on demographics is in order: 99.99% of MD'ers don't look like the people being shot by the police--MD'ers are made up of people on the Guvmint hit list.

chuck said:
... do you think a government employee is going to shoot some one for metal detecting!!!!

I was thinking the same thing. It starts with our supposed need to fear "arrests", "tickets", "jail" and so forth. And now we're told to fear being shot by an LEO for md'ing ?

I will send a crisp $100 bill to the first person who can cite any incident of an md'r being "shot for md'ing".

"if told to do so" is the operative passage here----I didn't say they have been TOLD to do so--I said they Would if ordered. Big difference.

Tom in CA: I don't always agree with you but I do this time. Most are scared to go and just talk. So I could care less if they hunt (detect) or whatever. I live here and worked for years for TVA and if you go by the rules and I say again swimming areas, camping areas unoccupied, and launching ramps you will have no problems unless you got an attitude going in. Just between us detectorist TVA could care less as long as you do not dig Indian burial mounds or places you are not supposed to be. HH :minelab::fisher::teknetics:

After having a permit to detect TVA parks,swim areas and campgrounds for several years ,it was suddenly no longer re-newable and therefore invalid.I was told by TVA that metal detecting is banned (as stated on their website)on all properties they control, even though I have witnessed others detecting the same.From my understanding, TVA police no longer exist and the duties of enforcing these "acts"(since they're not laws) have been turned over to state game & fish personnel.So, now we have a conflict between state and federal jurisdiction.Can a state g&f officer make an arrest on federal charges?What court would this be heard in?Most federal judges just get pissed off when petty crimes are placed in front of them.A local judge would have no understanding of enforcing a federal "act".And who really cares if you detect a drained beach?If I go detecting with my expired permit,would the charge be detecting with an expired permit?I mean,once it was ok and now it's a federal crime!Sheesh!

Yeah, seems like a lot more these days is a crime of some kind! So much for liberty!

For some reason this whole discussion reminds me of that old song by the 5 Man Electrical Band:
.....Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
And the sign said, Anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight.......

Myself i would not even consider detecting there from what i've read in this thread.....too many buzz cut barney fife's out there now a days.