Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

aa Battery's Race To 0.8v How Much Interest Is There?

Just a thought, this battery information is valuable to just about everyone who metal detects, is it possible to have this information all over the forum and not just in the F-series?

still looking 52 said:
Just a thought, this battery information is valuable to just about everyone who metal detects, is it possible to have this information all over the forum and not just in the F-series?

Probably not!
But its possible that after we get past the ground work and into the testing and the thread could be cleaned out of just the general conversation post, and actual discussion of batteries and the test results
left in tact and then listed and placed at the top of the page and marked or flagged in a way that its always displayed the top of the page. On some other forum's they're referred to as "Stickies".
Many years ago I was on a Honda Shadow motorcycle forum and I had become the forum Oil Guru! MANY long debates about car oil vs motorcycle oil, and additives and polymers, and cutting open
oil filters and contacting oil companies that the forum administration ask me if I would do an "Oil Sticky" so I created what was called "Oilology" and the last time I checked in there that sticky is still standing!
The reason for the "Oilology" was because topic's about oil, and sometimes week long Pop-Corn and Pop debates rolled on and on! they were many people that got kicked off the forum just over oil
topics!! So, I put together the "Oilology" post, and they let me do it in any format I wanted, and the forum has moved several severs and they keep putting that thread back up. With a thread staying at the top
of the page they never get cycled down out of view, that is to say once a normal thread stops getting new post they just drop out of sight and become archived, the "Sticky" remains at the top of the page
in plain sight. So, to your point there is a YES! in that the thread COULD BE made into a STICKY (type thread) at the top of every sub-forum page on Findmall, but! I doubt that I have the ability to create such
a masterpiece to gain such a status.
The information in such a thread pretty much has to be undisputed, WELL researched and done my a forum member that is considered the forum Guru on the specific subject, its takes
LOTS of LONG nights of debates, staying on subject, being called names, standing your ground! keeping within ALL forum rules and letting the drunks and trolls get kicked off the forum. For a couple of years on that forum
I did battle in EVERY oil debate that came across the forum, in the end I was ask to do an Oil STICKY and the "Oilology" came to be.
Nobody here is to interested in oil, and that was back in like 2002 another lifetime ago.
With them stickies the forum administration has some other options to, the can LOCK the thread, meaning its no longer open for new post, or they can leave it unlocked, I don't know about now but the oilology thread was unlocked
for YEARS and people posted but I guess the information in the thread was clear enough that new post was never a problem. With ongoing threads forum moderators has to monitor and fix, and delete improper post and that's why
often times "Stickies" are LOCKED!

I'm going to try and get a surprise 2-Cell battery test posted later today (Thursday), But! these two cells will not be added in the final
results chart, so when I post the numbers for these (maybe everything) you may want to write down the results.

Getting ready.

Later.

-- moved topic --

Well, I said I was going to post some results of a Surprise Battery (a bonus) and here it is.
The batteries are,
Tenergy Centura 2000ma NI-MH LSD (low self discharge) rechargeable's
Here is a run down of the specifics,
Its a 2-cell test, with and averaged run down time!
Voltage after charge = 1.44v
Current draw through the load = 180ma
Cell Weight = 27.4g
Length = 1.978"
Diameter = .559"
Voltage under load @ start of test = 1.32v
Target Drain voltage = 0.900v
# 1 cell drain time = 7:43
# 2 cell drain time = 7:36
Average drain time = 7:40 (rounded off)

Now the history of these batteries.
They're around 5 years old!
The first year they got moderate use!
The next several years they have been just laying around in my desk drawer, which isn't good for these types of batteries. I have a little 8 position smart charger and when I put the batteries in it
the charger flashed faulty cells on a few of them and wouldn't charge them.

I did this test for the purpose of giving us an idea of where the Ni-MH batteries stand in relation to the more normal Alkaline's. I know I've liked how these have performed for me in the past, but even at that
I was a little surprised when I checked in on them at the 5 hour mark and they were still holding in there. They were fresh off charge, but given enough time to cool to near room temperature before I placed
them in the drainer. They are lots of these NI-MH available in the 2500ma range which should go and easy 9 hours under the same load conditions.

Now, Monte's battery shipment to me is supposed to arrive tomorrow (Friday) so, for awhile my comments here should pretty much be aa Alkaline batteries!!!
Brother Ron contacted me this evening with another revised chart and both of us gave it a thumbs up!
The stopwatches arrived today instead of Friday which was good because I was able to finishing adapting my reload beach into a battery test bench.
I doubt that I will be able to post test results every day, but I'll try to keep them coming, its actually takes 5 stopwatches to do these, I have one for each cell on the bench, and I carry a smaller one
around with me so I can keep track of the time, NOTHING is automated in this process, if I'm late checking the time its a do over because there is NO way of known the time when the battery reached the
target voltage drain point! So, its like baby setting dying batteries LOL!

More coming soon!

I've gotten a few PM's from a couple of people with some ALWAYS helpful input.
The results for each alkaline battery will be put into a Microsoft (compatible with the free downloadable Open Office Suit)
spreadsheet which means that's I'm more than willing to email the file to people upon request.

And I have a couple of updates!
(1) The batteries Monte mailed to me just arrived! (Thanks for the contributions)
(2) I have a set of USA made Energizer MAX's presently in their 7th hour of dying!

What to expect next.
With Monte's help we've decided to head the chart with the CLAIMED High Performance Name Brands and likely in this order,
Duracell,
Energizer MAX,
Ray-O-Vac
and then some arrangement of the generic/house brands. This will put the grade setting (goal post) batteries at the top of the chart and the
challengers beneath them.

More later.

The first set of the Bunnies were fresh and made In the USA, and I have the results logged and was inputting them when I had a warranty issue with the spreadsheet, so it went back to the creator.
The second set of the Bunnies are in the drainers now and they're made in Indonesia, they've just past the 2 hour point. These are dated 12-2029 but there is also another date on then "PD 07-2019" (production date maybe??
I will also be testing a set of the Bunnies made in Poland, I've got the notebook log made out for them ready for the data.

Watching or frequent checking on these is sort of like watching ice cubes melt in a glass of water, I like getting the results but watching it happen is pretty uneventful at best LoL!

-- moved topic --

I now have a working spreadsheet, and below is what we'll be looking at for the next couple of weeks or so, or however it takes to complete the testing.
I've plugged in what's completed and I've plugged in what's next in line.

The Indonesia Bunnies are currently draining, and then I'll test the Poland made ones, and then do Monte's Duracells, then the Ray-O-Vac's

I on purpose left the cell price out of most of the batteries I bought because I couldn't buy that many different brands and types in bulk, like on
the Energizers, Homeline, and Ray-O-Vac I'm averaging right at a $1.00 a battery! But I bought them in either 4-packs or 8-Packs.
So, it really helped me out when Monte shipped me all those batteries for sure.

P.S I just did a volt check on the Indonesia MAX bunnies, and #4 cell is DEAD @ 6hrs - 10min I wasn't near ready to start hoovering over them, I mean they should still be doing good @ 8hrs!!!
This is what happened with the first Poland made ones I tested. The USA Bunnies were EXTREMELY smooth and even all the way to 0.8v, these things are anything but that!!
Got To Go And Watch These Things Crash
More To Come!

First things first!
Monte found a math issue, in that the times for each cell was in hrs colon min (hrs:min) but in the 4-cell average column I had converted all the times to total minutes and that made a fraction,
which made the fraction of the whole of 60 (minutes in an hour).
Anyway, math is something that never clicked for me as you can tell.
So, my other brother Greg (still looking 52) suggested that it would be simpler to just list the cell times in total minutes, then the average time for the 4 cells would also be in minutes.
To that point the spreadsheet times has been changed so everyone sees the same thing, I liked the hrs:min for the logged time better, but the fraction average didn't get it.

I had to rely on NOTES for the Poland made Energizers because I had checked on them around the 4-1/2 hour mark and they were doing okay, so I was thinking I could check back on them around the
6 hour mark which ended up being at 5hrs & 45min and they were all four DEAD! the target voltage point is .800v and when I checked them the voltage was around 169mv. So, these just like the other
batch of the Poland Bunnies are JUNK!
I hate it that I missed the exact time of death, but for this battery to NOT MAKE SIX HOURS is a JOKE, this kind of carp is what gives a company a bad reputation. These batteries could actually be the
worse of everything I'll test, I mean to even make the grade now any battery needs to go six hours at lest.

Here is the screen shot of the revised spreadsheet with the new cell times and the current results.
More To Come!

P.S I can only improve these test for the general audience if I get some feedback from the members here, "Monte" and "vlad" has been a big help thus far, and I gave 'Guvner" the run around on relocating this thread.

in a "Japan Store." They are about .32 cents in package of six, and made in Brazil.
That makes no sense as there are many manufacturers here in Asia are very close,
I guess the bottom line though is that many manufacturers will franchise out the names but the original standards are not the same
and the local standards are far different.
It seems a case of the original maker giving official permission for others to use the 'name' but the end product is often when it comes to results, as poorly made as
pirated Chinese cloned products. Inferior materials and suspect manufacturing methods result in a lesser quality battery with a shorter life.
Good for the makers, they sell more, but its the consumers spending more to get less for the money that is losing. Planned obsolesce?
What is somewhat deceptive is in the manner they seem to want to hide the actual maker in putting it in print so small among a package back that you lose
it in all the other print (and a lot of it.)

going to surprise a lot of people. In the end it will be informative for many who have a need for decent, longer-lasting batteries.

For those just looking on, refer to the new spreadsheet MarkCZ posted. Note that it shows the Run-Time for each of the 4 individual batteries in 'Minutes' and then the 'Average 'Run-Time' also in 'Minuets', such as 594.[size=small]75[/size], meaning 594¾ Minutes. [size=small](Simply add up the Run-Time of each of the 4 batteries, then divide that by '4' to get how many Minutes they 'Averaged.')[/size] Converting the number of operational Minutes into Hours can give us a better reflection on performance as I think most of us equate things about time in this case more into hours of operation.

The 'foreign made' Energizers had a more noticeable shorter Run Time that 'Averaged' 407.[size=small]75[/size] Minutes. Yes, it looks shorter, but let's convert these to maybe more normal thinking:

USA made Energizers: 4 brand new batteries gave an Average Run-Time of 594.[size=small]75[/size] or 594¾ minutes. Divided by '60' minutes per hour = 9.[size=small]9125[/size] Hours, or round that to 9.[size=small]9[/size] Hours. With a constant load, each battery lasted 9.[size=small]9[/size] Hours, and that could be rounded from 9 [size=small]9/10[/size] to 10 Hours of Run-Time.

Foreign made Energizers: 4 brand new batteries gave an Average Run-Time of 407.[size=small]75[/size] or 407¾ minutes. Divided by '60' minutes per hour = 6.[size=small]7958[/size] Hours, or round that to 6.[size=small]8[/size] Hours. With a constant load, each battery lasted 6.[size=small]8[/size] Hours, and that could be rounded [size=small](by quarter-hours)[/size] from 6 [size=small]8[/size] to 6¾ Hours of Run-Time.

Therefore, the USA made Energizers ran 3¼ hours LONGER than the foreign made batteries. How does that figure in the difference in Run-Time between the two?

The USA batteries lasted 48% longer than the Foreign batteries, or you could say the Foreign batteries gave 32.[size=small]5[/size]% less or shorter Run-Time than the USA batteries.

That's a very marked difference in operating time when a constant load is applied to brand new batteries. Certainly, the only way to justify using a wimpy-performing battery is if the cost is also drastically less.

I look forward to these Battery 'Run-Time' Tests and will look for some brand new batteries of different brands or places of manufacturer in the next few days to add to the testing. Also, while I like to hunt Cottontail rabbits I don't think I'll be going after any of those Energizer 'Bunnies' if they are an import.

Monte

Below is two screen shots of the same chart, but one has the cell times totally in minutes and NO HOURS!
This is chart (A) =Minutes only Style

The other chart has the cell times in hrs:min and the times are NOT in fractions!, meaning that a colon is used, not a decimal (its clock style display)
This is chart (B) =Hour:minute Style

Both charts has a little rounding off, but its never more than a couple of minutes for the total run down time.

So, your vote will have an outcome on which format gets used in the final chart., which one is the most up front and the simplest to view and
understand the information?

Here's what I sent to MarkCZ:

DURACELL 'Duralock' ... Made in the USA .... Use by: Dec. 2023 ... My Cost $17.99 for a '40' pack making each battery cost 45¢ each.

DURACELL 'Duralock' ... Made in the China .... Use by: Mar.. 2026 ... My Cost $18.99 for a '24' pack making each battery cost 79¢ each.

SIGNATURE 'house brand of Albertsons' ... Made in the USA .... Use by: 12- 2026 ... My Cost $10.99 for a '60' pack making each battery cost 18[size=small]1/3[/size]¢ each.

JOBSMART 'from Tractor Supply' ... Made in the China .... Use by: 9 - 2023 ... Reg. $9.99, on sale so My Cost $5.00 for a '48' pack making each battery cost 10½¢ each.

THUNDERBOLT 'Magnum' from Harbor Freight ... Made in the China .... Use by: 12 - 2022 ... My Cost $7.99 for a '24' pack making each battery cost 33[size=small]1/3[/size]¢ each.

PT 'Power' performancetools.com ... Made in the China .... Use by: 11 - 2021 ... My Cost $3.00 for '15' [size=small](dealer had non-functioning work lights)[/size] making each battery cost 20¢ each.

NOTE: Of these, while I am interested in the 'Run-Time' performance and comparisons of ALL batteries Mark will be testing, I am especially curious about these that I sent:

There were TWO 4-packs of Duracell batteries, the older ones that have a Use by of Dec. 2023 and Made in the USA [size=small](according to the label)[/size], and the more recent batteries with a Use by of March 2026 and say Made in China. Just how fresh are the newer ones or how aged are the older ones all of the Duracell brand?

The 'Signature' batteries from Albertsons grocers. Why? Because so far, in the few devices I've been using them in, I have experienced very good performance and their cost is very 'budget-worthy' for a good alkaline battery. I bought a 60-AA pack, about a year ago for $10.99, that I opened for this test The last time I shopped there I saw they have gone to a new 'wrapper' on the battery. I needed AAA's at the time so I bought a bulk pack of them, but didn't notice a high-count pack for AA. On their website https://www.albertsons.com/shop/search-results.html?q=batteries they do show a 24-count package of AA alkalines for $8.99. That averages to .37.[size=small]45[/size]¢ or round that to 37½¢ per battery.

I used to buy the Costco 'Kirkland' battery in a 48-count package for just pennies under $13.00 so that averaged to 27¢ each, and they lasted a long time, but I don't know what they charge today. And except for some 'specials' at places like Harbor Freight, Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc., I haven't found a price that is as good as the 'Signature' batteries have been. Notice in the above info, the 'Signature' batteries I opened to send him 4 I bought about a year or so ago and it was a 60-count pack for $10.99 so that meant each battery only cost me 18.[size=small]33[/size]¢ a piece.

Just another reminder to try and help out this battery 'run-Time' test. Consider sending 4 brand new alkaline batteries, other than I or Mark have provided so far, and we can get a lot of useful information. There just might be some real values out there for all the AA powered devices we use. I know I don't like to waste money on inferior performers, but I do like to be 'frugal' and buy longer-lasting batteries w/o spending too much just to buy a 'name'.

Monte

jim tn said:
One on the right, hours/minutes.

Oh, great job and undertaking. HH jim tn

Thanks Jim!

I went out today and rounded up two more battery brands, Sam's Club Members Mart and Rual King which is Exide.
The members mark came in a pack of 48 and I only wanted 4 (I do not need or even want anymore aa batteries for use) I can't
ever use all these. So, I was out for about 2 hours just getting these batteries, and I spent a total of $20.00 to get the
8 batteries to test. The ones at Rual King wasn't to bad @ $1.99 for 8. So, for people not actually involved in the testing
its hard to imagine what all it takes to pull this off.
But! I think in the end the Find's forum will have a (AA) battery test & results chart that No Other Forum will have, and in the
end just maybe the chart can be extracted from any topic or thread and place around (anchored at the top) of the other forums.
I've said before that watching these run dead for 5 to 10 hours is sort of like watching ice cubes melt in the glass of water,
or an entire Daytona NASCAR race and NO wrecks, no blown engines, just a bunch of cars driving in a circle really fast all day.

I will be posted some new interesting results later on, and the Duracell (Duralock) China Made fell well short of it USA counter part!
Watch for it.
Jim, thanks for the vote on the chart, I was hoping to get LOTS of votes but at present I've got (1) for the Minutes, (4) for the
Hours & Minutes

vlad said:

There is always at lest one bubble buster in every crowd :lol:
But, there will always be a LARGE of detectorist that will know its roots!
If we keep as a picture on here then I could position some water marks around on it that
says, "Property Of Findmall Forum's"

I've the last results of the day, and all I need to do is work out the math averages, plug the data
into the chart and get the screen shot uploaded, so new results is going to be posted in just a
little bit! And the results are surprising, I think there is a NEW KING of the hill flagship battery
and the manufacture should provide me batteries for life, or at lest a Full Size Wendy's Apple
Pecan Salad!!!!

Mark