Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

aa Battery's Race To 0.8v How Much Interest Is There?

I AM surprised that Ray-O-Vac lasted that long, I gave up on them years ago. I guess the company got an overhaul.

"Still looking 52" that is.:cool: Actually, I **used to** always pass as a lot younger than my age. As a Chief of Police (and that was a good while back in a small western Oregon town I'd lend my assistance in a different town by grabbing a couple of books and wandering the halls of the senior building at their High School [size=small](casual clothes, of course)[/size] just to get some information. After I moved to Eastern Oregon in 2013, I went to a few places to eat when shopping in the bigger town into mid 2014, and on my limited income, with the rate they charged, I asked about getting the senior discount . Three occasions they didn't think I hit the 55 year old mark and guessed me as being maybe 46 to 50. The last time was when I treated myself to a 65th Birthday dinner and had to show them my driver license.

That used to be kind of enjoyable. I not only felt younger but some folks thought I actually was :wiggle: Between my left and right ears I still think and feel like I am 29 to 35, but the rest of me is in total disagreement. :( Oh well, at least if I 'feel' young at heart that might help me keep on getting out as often as I can for some detecting and enjoyment.

'Thank You' for the comments regarding a Grading system for the 'Run-Time testing, and I think I'm going to do a little more to help mark out on this, just to insure that more of the batteries tested are as current as possible. That will help even out the battery evaluation and comparison process. It takes a bit to get all this out there to interested readers, to include the efforts in making up the spread sheet. It's always good to have help from the outside as well as having the helpful family as well.👍

Monte

Last edited:
Mark, all I can add to this, is: Thankyou for bringing the topic up. We md'rs don't tend to think of this aspect of the hobby. And will just blindly buy whatever is on-the-rack at the store. And probably aren't making note of how many hours we are getting off of them. This can rack up to $$ for machines that are using regular alkaline.

I use strictly nicad rechargeables. But I keep an AA pack as my backup. So the thread you started has some great inputs ! Thanx !

Just this minute I sent Mark an e-mail as we're following u on these tests, and I am sending off more batteries to him later today. He shared one test result that kind of surprised me as one of the four batteries I sent him gave an under 8 hour run-time. So I am going to pull four more out of that new package I had opened to send off the first time because these are from Albertsons grocery as a 'house brand', Signature, and they have been working really well for me.

This was a brand new, unopened 60 count package that I bought a while back, and the 'Use by' date is Dec. 2026. I bought them in maybe 2016 or so, after I moved here to Vale, and the open package have been holding up well in flashlights and detectors. But I also noticed they have changed the cardboard package a s well as the individual battery wrapper design. They are fresher, and no longer have them in the '60' count packages. I think the last I saw was a 24 count package so the price isn't going to be as attractive. That 60-count package cost me $10.99 so each battery was only 18.[size=small]32[/size]¢ and I can fill any of my Nokta or Makro units for just under 74¢. That's a lot of serious hunting time at a very affordable price. I'll find out what they will set me back today.

That's the cost for 4 AA batteries which would also fill up a Tek. T2 or Fisher F75, or a Patriot or F70. Heck, an 8-AA White's battery tray would only cost $1.47. I always keep a watch for batteries that have been Better quality to Best and then check prices because I go through a LOT of AA alkaline batteries. But we know things change a lot in the more recent decade or two with bigger businesses buying or selling or trading off other sub-companies they have and that can lead to different manufacturing processes, or a let-down in quality control. Going back to before and when I worked for Compass I was very displeased with Ray-O-Vac batteries, and so turned off by them, that I haven't spend a dime on anything they've made.

Then look at the shocking results Mark has reported so far! Ray-O-Vac are back on the very worth having list and the 'Bunny' is more destined for hunting season targets.

It's still going to be a bit before all of the testing gets finished and numbers double-checked and crunched, then everyone can check in and learn a lot more about the results. Mark has more batteries now that he went out and bought, and I'm headed out the door in about 15 minutes to get some shopping done myself. Then I'll get back home and mail off all the 4-sets of batteries I can round up to keep helping this testing along.

'Thank You' for chiming in on this topic. It's appreciated.

Monte

Breaking!
I setup a set of FRESH original Copper Tops last night for their ride to the boneyard and they've been fighting to stay alive but their end is near.
They've been draining for 8hrs & 45min and they are all 4 about to drop below the 900mv range.
All 4 in the group to this point has been pretty even in their drain rate and they don't look to be going to avalanche, BUT! I'm doubtful that they're
going to defeat the Ray-O-Vac's
It won't be long now for their passing to the other side?????

Mark

MarkCZ said:
.... I have two generic brands that took about 8.5 hours to drain to 0.8v and the Ray-O-Vac High Energy took 10hrs & 28minutes
which surprised me a little.....

Were those "generic brands" alkalines ? If so, that surprises me too.

This is all good info to sheds some new light on the different batteries. If I had any money I would have bet the high end batteries would put low end batteries to shame and I would be broke just like I am now. LOL

Nice work little brother,

MarkCZ's older brother Ron in WV,

AllMax, that MarkCZ had, and 'Signature', a brand label for Albertson's Grocery. I sent those and they were from a fresh package I just opened, but have had in my 'Battery & Flashlight Tote' since 2016/'17 If I recall. They had a Use By date of 12-2026, so shelf-life 'Use-By' time was 3 years down and 7 years to go as of last month.

The All Max that Mark bought from Amazon had a Use By 6 or 2029 and ran 8 Hr. 12 Min. which put them in the 'B' or Better category I suggested. The 'Signature' batteries I bought at Albertsons were also in the 'B' Grade group at 8 Hr. 30 Min. Those were sold in a '60' pack for $10.99, but they have changed their packaging and the battery wrapper is also different. I'm going to check and see what size packages they sell them in currently and buy a fresh package and send 4 of those to Mark as a 2nd test. Same brand, but fresh instead of new from the package, but 3+years old.

I've been using those Signature batteries in detectors and flashlights and have had very good operating experience with them. And that 80-pack sold for $10.99 making each AA Alkaline battery cost less than 18½¢ each. Very affordable. Only 74¢ to fill a Nokta CoRe or Relic or Makro Racer 2, and $1.48 to power-up a White's 8-AA battery tray powered unit.

Not all of those "Big Name' batteries are a 'Big Deal.' The location where many are made makes a difference, and I'm trying to track down who it is that makes some of the 'Off Brand' or 'Not Familiar' batteries.

When was the last time you bought or thought of buying the ACDelco AA alkaline? Wait until you see their performance from testing, and they are also a 'Made in China' battery. But that battery maker, PowerMAX. is not some dinky outfit doing side-jobs. I think they might be behind the manufacturing of some big-order companies, and that's what I'm trying to track down. Then it will be to find out if they are using the same level of quality and just re-wrappered, or if they are a lower-grade performing battery.

Monte

Tom_in_CA said:
MarkCZ said:
.... I have two generic brands that took about 8.5 hours to drain to 0.8v and the Ray-O-Vac High Energy took 10hrs & 28minutes
which surprised me a little.....

Were those "generic brands" alkalines ? If so, that surprises me too.

Hi Tom!
Yes! all test for the spreadsheet will be alkalines! and I've got some new test that I'm working on getting into the spreadsheet that is still yet surprising!
And so far the worse battery tested was the Poland made Bunnies and they were dated good until 2029!!

My electric has been out sense yesterday (Saturday) from 3:00pm until Sunday around 7:00pm and so was my internet connection, although I did keep the battery test going.

So, watch for some updated test, here's a hint!
A set of FRESH original Copper Tops failed to defeat the Ray-O-Vac's, they did good but not good enough.

I bought four matching stopwatches off Amazon to use in these battery test, and they seem to work decent for the task at hand,
but I decided to do a little test with them to make sure they are all counting time correctly or evenly compared to each other.
I put in cell one and started the clock, then I prepped cell two, I got the negative end started into the holder and I watched the time
on cell one and @ 4min and 54 seconds I inserted cell two, gave it a couple of rotated spins, grabbed the stopwatch for cell 2 and as soon
as the cell one timer struck 5 minutes I started the cell 2 timer.
I continued the same process for cell 3 and 4 giving as close to possible a 5 min offset for each cell. Keep in mind how hard it is to do this across
the 4-cell to the second!!!!
Look at the below picture and @ around the 6 hour mark of the test!!! that's a LOT of seconds gone by!!! and so I'm convinced the stopwatches are
ALL count at the same rate!

I'm trying to avoid any variables in these test as MUCH as possible!!!

Mark

Batteries added this go around are the,
AC Delco marked "Super Alkaline"
Duracell original copper tops.
EBL's and
Exide from Rural King.

Next Up Will Be The Members Mart and Jobsmart!

P.S the score card group assignment isn't right yet but I'll adjust it more as the score groups become more defined, for now the
column is at lest inserted and the contents and its layout can be viewed.

Drum Roll Please!!!

The signature batteries from Albertsons Grocery and Exide batteries you bought at Rural King we're not real fresh batteries either. The 'Signatures I sent expire in 2026 in the Exide batteries your bought expire in 2024.

However, even though they've used up a few years of shelf life they still had a very good voltage out of the package and both of them gave Better, or B-grade Run-Time performance compared with some of the big names most people are familiar with. Another big name although not familiar in most stores were people shot, are the AC Delco batteries, produced by a large battery maker in China, and they fall in that same grade range.

A lot of good information keeps coming forth.

Monte

Monte said:
The signature batteries from Albertsons Grocery and Exide batteries you bought at Rural King we're not real fresh batteries either. The 'Signatures I sent expire in 2026 in the Exide batteries your bought expire in 2024.

However, even though they've used up a few years of shelf life they still had a very good voltage out of the package and both of them gave Better, or B-grade Run-Time performance compared with some of the big names most people are familiar with. Another big name although not familiar in most stores were people shot, are the AC Delco batteries, produced by a large battery maker in China, and they fall in that same grade range.

A lot of good information keeps coming forth.

Monte

Well, let me clarify something here!!!
They are several of the general (generic) house brands that DO NOT CLAIM on their package of having a 10 year shelf life, I'm looking at the Exide package right now and I don't see anything about
them being an EXTENDED LIFE battery!!!! it only has a best if used by 11-2024 so it ???COULD??? be that they're very fresh if they they are only a 5 year battery!
I'll check my remaining packages to confirm what I can which ones are and are not labeled as being a 10-year battery! And I'm pretty sure I included the 10 year (or more) claim in the Notes Column for
the ones that made that claim on their packages or other labeling.

More To Come!

MarkCZ;
They are several of the general (generic) house brands that DO NOT CLAIM on their package of having a 10 year shelf life, I'm looking at the Exide package right now and I don't see anything about
them being an EXTENDED LIFE battery!!!! it only has a best if used by 11-2024 so it ???COULD??? be that they're very fresh if they they are only a 5 year battery!
I'll check my remaining packages to confirm what I can which ones are and are not labeled as being a 10-year battery! And I'm pretty sure I included the 10 year (or more) claim in the Notes Column for

More To Come!

Monte adds:
I had some power loss at my own this weekend due to very high winds, right when I was busy replacing batteries in several flashlights. Fortunately, it went out during daylight and was restored just before dark. That gave me time to get half of my flashlight up-to-speed with fresh power before it happens again.

Today I made the battery shopping trip I missed out on this weekend as I wasn't feeling well. I bought some fresh batteries for me to use for testing and I'll be sending 4 of each set to Mark on Thursday or Friday. I bought the freshest batteries I could find, and reading the packages gets interesting and brings up questions. For example:

• One package of AA alkaline batteries has the Month and Year of "Use By" date on the very bottom of the battery. They are standing up in a box and plastic wrapped. You can't see the bottom of the battery, and nowhere on the package does it show the date. That means unless you open a 40 or 48 pack of batteries, you have no clue how new, or how old, they might be. Those are the JobSmart from Tracor Supply. But 48 of them for $5 was worth the price if they test out to last long enough for the cost.

• The 'Dura Lock' Duracell batteries I sent Mark read:"Dec. 2023" on the battery. The package I opened reads: "Guaranteed 10 Years in storage." So, would that 10 years go until th Battery Date of Dec. 2023 in storage? Well, the front of that 40-pack reads: "Best Before 2023" ???? Now, if they say the date is Dec. of 2023, and the back of the package is labeled copyright 203 Duracell, then the Guaranteed 10 Years should go through to Dec. of 2023 as per the guarantee and the battery date and production year. Then thy say Bst Before 2023. So, that would be Dec. of 2022 and you'd lose a yesr of that so-called Guarantee.

• One package I just bought today, after going through everything they had on the display racks, is the freshest. The outside of the 60-count package reads: "Best if used by July 2028" so they give an actual 'Use-By' Month and year. But these newer-style 'Signature' batteries, from Albertsons Grocery only say: "Guaranteed Long Lasting" but don't say anything about 'how long' the Long Lasting' is supposed to be. I does, however, read: "Our Promise .. Quality Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed or Your Money Back." The package also reads: "Made in U.S.A. with US and Global Parts." I called to day and they verified these batteries are made in the USA.

[size=small](By the way, I bought these batteries because I have been using them in metal detectors and flashlights without a problem and getting 'Better' than average Run-Times. The package I opened to send 4 of the 60 to Mark was dated 12-2026 so they had already met 3 years of 'shelf life' yet produced 8 Hr. 30 Min. in his tests. And that '60' pack of AA alkalines I got in 2016 or 2017 cost me $10.00. That breaks down to a little under 18½¢ each! this brand new package I bought today, Dated for July 2028, was not on sale. It was the 'Regular Price' of $12.49 a pack of 60, and that makes them only 20.[size=small]8[/size]¢ Fill a T2, F75, CoRe, Relic, Racer 2, etc. for $84¢, and a Classic ID, IDX Pro, MXT series, MX-7, XLT, V3i, etc., or a Garrett GTAx or newer model with the 8-AA's in holders and it will set you back a whole $1.[size=small]68[/size] to go have a lot of fun! I am hoping this newer, fresher package I just bought will provide similar of better Run-Times, too.)[/size]

• And since we're talking about 'house brands' or 'budget 'dollar' stores, or less-mentioned brands, I stopped at a NW store that is one of my favorites, BiMart. They don't have a 'house brand' but they sell Energizers and Panasonic. I haven't bought any Panasonic batteries for a couple of years, and those were a 'budget' offering at Family Dollar. They didn't last long. These look different and are very fresh! It's an 8-pack [size=small](4 for Mark and 4 for Me)[/size] and they are labeled: "Panasonic Platinum Power" and the package says: "Advanced Formula" and also has: "Protects Power for up to 10 Years." Now the package does say: Made in Thailand, packaged in USA." And even better for our testing purposes, the battery 'Use By' date is: 1 - 2030 so these should be fresh and we are at the start of the 10-year period! I believe they cost $3.[size=small]98[/size] for an 8-pack, making them 49¾¢ each.

Just a little more to figure out when reading packages or the batteries. What might wonder what do they mean, or where were they made, but the good news is going to be after the testing is done. Then we'll have an idea of which battery is the longest running and also figure in the cost per battery to se what's going to be the best deal for what we want and need.

Monte

Monte said:
MarkCZ;

More To Come!

Monte adds:
I had some power loss at my own this weekend due to very high winds, right when I was busy replacing batteries in several flashlights. Fortunately, it went out during daylight and was restored just before dark. That gave me time to get half of my flashlight up-to-speed with fresh power before it happens again.

Today I made the battery shopping trip I missed out on this weekend as I wasn't feeling well. I bought some fresh batteries for me to use for testing and I'll be sending 4 of each set to Mark on Thursday or Friday. I bought the freshest batteries I could find, and reading the packages gets interesting and brings up questions. For example:

• One package of AA alkaline batteries has the Month and Year of "Use By" date on the very bottom of the battery. They are standing up in a box and plastic wrapped. You can't see the bottom of the battery, and nowhere on the package does it show the date. That means unless you open a 40 or 48 pack of batteries, you have no clue how new, or how old, they might be. Those are the JobSmart from Tracor Supply. But 48 of them for $5 was worth the price if they test out to last long enough for the cost.

• The 'Dura Lock' Duracell batteries I sent Mark read:"Dec. 2023" on the battery. The package I opened reads: "Guaranteed 10 Years in storage." So, would that 10 years go until th Battery Date of Dec. 2023 in storage? Well, the front of that 40-pack reads: "Best Before 2023" ???? Now, if they say the date is Dec. of 2023, and the back of the package is labeled copyright 203 Duracell, then the Guaranteed 10 Years should go through to Dec. of 2023 as per the guarantee and the battery date and production year. Then thy say Bst Before 2023. So, that would be Dec. of 2022 and you'd lose a yesr of that so-called Guarantee.

• One package I just bought today, after going through everything they had on the display racks, is the freshest. The outside of the 60-count package reads: "Best if used by July 2028" so they give an actual 'Use-By' Month and year. But these newer-style 'Signature' batteries, from Albertsons Grocery only say: "Guaranteed Long Lasting" but don't say anything about 'how long' the Long Lasting' is supposed to be. I does, however, read: "Our Promise .. Quality Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed or Your Money Back." The package also reads: "Made in U.S.A. with US and Global Parts." I called to day and they verified these batteries are made in the USA.

[size=small](By the way, I bought these batteries because I have been using them in metal detectors and flashlights without a problem and getting 'Better' than average Run-Times. The package I opened to send 4 of the 60 to Mark was dated 12-2026 so they had already met 3 years of 'shelf life' yet produced 8 Hr. 30 Min. in his tests. And that '60' pack of AA alkalines I got in 2016 or 2017 cost me $10.00. That breaks down to a little under 18½¢ each! this brand new package I bought today, Dated for July 2028, was not on sale. It was the 'Regular Price' of $12.49 a pack of 60, and that makes them only 20.[size=small]8[/size]¢ Fill a T2, F75, CoRe, Relic, Racer 2, etc. for $84¢, and a Classic ID, IDX Pro, MXT series, MX-7, XLT, V3i, etc., or a Garrett GTAx or newer model with the 8-AA's in holders and it will set you back a whole $1.[size=small]68[/size] to go have a lot of fun! I am hoping this newer, fresher package I just bought will provide similar of better Run-Times, too.)[/size]

• And since we're talking about 'house brands' or 'budget 'dollar' stores, or less-mentioned brands, I stopped at a NW store that is one of my favorites, BiMart. They don't have a 'house brand' but they sell Energizers and Panasonic. I haven't bought any Panasonic batteries for a couple of years, and those were a 'budget' offering at Family Dollar. They didn't last long. These look different and are very fresh! It's an 8-pack [size=small](4 for Mark and 4 for Me)[/size] and they are labeled: "Panasonic Platinum Power" and the package says: "Advanced Formula" and also has: "Protects Power for up to 10 Years." Now the package does say: Made in Thailand, packaged in USA." And even better for our testing purposes, the battery 'Use By' date is: 1 - 2030 so these should be fresh and we are at the start of the 10-year period! I believe they cost $3.[size=small]98[/size] for an 8-pack, making them 49¾¢ each.

Just a little more to figure out when reading packages or the batteries. What might wonder what do they mean, or where were they made, but the good news is going to be after the testing is done. Then we'll have an idea of which battery is the longest running and also figure in the cost per battery to se what's going to be the best deal for what we want and need.

Monte

I also stopped at a Tractor Supply today and looked at there batteries, no reference to a 10 year shelf life and the longest out of date that I could find was 09-2024 so, I'm pretty sure that these are what some call their long life battery, which is 5 years. They had the 30 packs on sale for $4.99 which I thought was a good deal, but I din't buy any of them.
I noticed that the Dollar General (DG/Home) batteries are what they're calling LONG LIFE which again by the use by date they're a 5-year battery.

I've got a set of the Jobsmart's that Monte sent me draining now and there dated 9-2023, now if these stated they were a 10 year battery then most of their shelf life would be gone, but if there a 5 year (long life) battery then that's a different story.

Mark

Okay, here is the updated spreadsheet.
From here I'm planning on finishing the testing on the last two Bunny batteries, that will fill in all the gaps at the top, then I'll go back and finish out the bottom.

More Coming Later!

Is this thread somewhere were its not able to be seen by new public viewers?
Or is it just being stage somewhere along with a million of threads while the forum is being worked on?

Anybody here fro Radio Shack, we've got questions, who has the answers?

Mark

Several batteries added sense the last update, so check it out!
I've got some Duracell Optimum's coming (from Amazon)
I've also got some newer fresher Albertson's coming, (Monte)
Some Energizer Industrial's coming, (A forum friend of Monte's)
I bought some Sunbeam Alkalines today,
And I ordered some interesting "VONIKO" from Amazon that's supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow,

So, there's a lot already completed, but there is MORE to come! And I'm still looking for a battery to defeat the Ray-O-Vac's???
A couple of surprises this go around with the Family Dollar "Homeline" and the Dollar General "DG/Home".
I also had more hopes that the Duracell original Copper Tops would beat the Ray-O-Vac's.

More To Come, I've got a set of the Tenergy's draining right now, these and the Thunderbolts from Harbor Freight is the BOTTOM of the basket
with everything I had to test!!
So, if you have a battery that you'd like to see tested that's not in my spreadsheet please send me four of them and I'll add them in the results!

Mark

I appreciate all the time and effort you have put in this project. I was glad to see rural king exide batteries on here to. I have been using them for a few months and at the price I can't beat them. Thanks again.

7centsworth said:
I appreciate all the time and effort you have put in this project. I was glad to see rural king exide batteries on here to. I have been using them for a few months and at the price I can't beat them. Thanks again.

"7Cents" I'm glad your following this thread!. When I'm don't we should have the most comprehensive list of aa battery brands in any other review of them on the net!
If you know of another common brand of battery that you'd like to see tested please let us know and I'm certain Monte or I will try to located some of them??

Next up will be,
Duracell Optimum!
Sunbeam (Alkaline) (Dollar Tree)
Voniko (Amazon) in their ad they pronounce the name Voni-Cow.

They are others in the works that will be added but there NOT in my hands yet, Monte is going to send them to me early this coming week.

More later!