Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

aa Battery's Race To 0.8v How Much Interest Is There?

This is GOOD!
Many years ago the Kellogg company ran a commercial for their Corn Flakes (the best I can remember it was Corn Flakes),
of course the add went through the normal how good the cereal is for you, how it has the best ingredients, and a taste you'll love,
the add closed with this phrase,
Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Try Them Again For The First Time!

Right now the king of the hill battery (the brand) is one that many gave up on many MANY years ago,
Well, Maybe we need try them again, "For The First Time"

The new king is FRESH DATED, but so was the Energizer Max USA's now the Copper Top USA's
had a fair amount of storage time on them, but were still good dated. So, in the near future I see another
top spot showdown coming with some FRESH Copper Top USA's!

Drum Roll Please :jump:

vlad said:

You know your comment left me thinking about possibly adding something to the screen shot
to assign its original location, so, as a test I did this to the screen shot. At first we we're kind-a
joking, but there is a MASSIVE amount of time and work going into this, and maybe the water mark
isn't such a bad idea.
which leads me to needing more INPUT!!!!

Idea's?
Yes, No?

My Vote - The chart on the right with Hrs/Min.

Tom Slick said:
My Vote - The chart on the right with Hrs/Min.

Thanks Tom for dropping in and casting a vote!

chart on the right with Hrs/Min.

Gold Buddy said:
chart on the right with Hrs/Min.

Thanks "Gold Buddy" for dropping in and casting a vote, it really does help.
And after while I have some head spinning results to post, and it proves that not everything is as it seem, or as we assume it is!

Mark

Okay, that's another vote for the hrs & min.
Thanks "TennRelic" for dropping by and voting.
Also, if you see something or have some ideas to make it better feel free to post them in a comment.

I'm trying to finish up today testing but the two groups of batteries I choose for today is wearing me down,
back to back its taken over 19 hours for them! The set I'm draining now is a China made house brand and they're
over 9hrs now, the last set was premium batteries and they went over 10hrs.

I've got more batteries to test, and I've got more batteries coming!

Mark

Chart on the right looks great..........I use rechargeable batteries but you guys did lots of very helpful work on this......Thanks, Jeff

All the batteries I tested today just didn't want to die. They all had very strong bottom ends and had very smooth a stable power declines.
And for now there is a NEW KING OF THE HILL Battery that really surprised me and I think Monte is still in shock LoL!
The house brand was another SHOCKER for me!!!

Here you go! and if you look at the list you can see what's coming next, So STAY tuned.

Mark

Those Ray-0-Vac batteries are going to be hard to beat, I'm really interested in the ones that come from Sam's Warehouse, that's where I've been buying my batteries from now for several years.

S

Let me see if I can stay on point!

(1) I went battery shopping again today, I wanted to get another 4-pack of those Poland Bunnies so I can run them through the drainers again. I'm not real happy with not have an actual witnessed time of death,
so this time I'll start to hover over them around the 3hr mark, if they go like they're other two test their passing will be quick!

(2) Here is where will need somebody that can do the math. While I was out today I also decided to see if I could find a fresh set of the USA Copper Tops (Duracells) which was a little hard to do, seems there are
more China made ones than USA, anyway I did find a 16 pack (I really only wanted a 4-pack) but I bought them anyway. Here is where the help comes in, the USA Duracells I already tested had good dates, but
they had been in storage for awhile and I'm wonder if and how much the lost compared to a fresh set with near ten years lift on their date. So, if the results reflect a difference from stale and fresh what percentage
of power lost was lost per year.

(3) The breaking news, while I was at the store buying the Poland Bunnies I looked around and I noticed some that were in a different package, so I dug them out and they are "Made In China" they are dated 2026
and the packs in front of them were dated 2029, Someone there isn't to concerned about stock rotation. Anyway, I'm looking forward to adding this to the other Bunny Battery test.

(4) Between the two runs out to get batteries and the past three online orders I've bought about all the batteries I'm going to by for this test, between what I had and what I've bought plus what Monte donated is a pretty
wide selection, BUT! somebody wants something else tested like the Duracell Optimum's or something else PLEASE feel free to mail them to me, I've spent a little more money out the battery piggy bank than was in it :shrug:
The final remains of any that gets donated will go to rest with all the others that in one large mass grave, and bodies are piling up fast.

And a sneak peak of what just happened,
A set of the Amazon Basics just finished up draining, and it was the worse case of a quadruple suicide I ever seen! The volt meter's reading dropped so fast @ 0.875v that it was hard to keep up with, they didn't fair
very well in the total run time either, in fact they may even under score the Poland bunnies. Not Good!

LOTS more to come!

P.S Over the next couple of days I'm going to be pretty busy out away from the house, but once those things are taken care of I'll be back at this full time!

Seems like the math would be, take the difference ( if there is a difference) between the stale and the fresh batteries tested and then divide it by the # years difference to get the average lost per year.

still looking 52 said:
Seems like the math would be, take the difference ( if there is a difference) between the stale and the fresh batteries tested and then divide it by the # years difference to get the average lost per year.

Yep :stars: (I guess, maybe???)
Heck I don't know run it by Monte, you two are the ones currently here that's the math masters, I just murder batteries and tell their stories after they've passed on!

compared to rechargables which is MUCH higher-I do not recall the %, but you have it in a prior message.
All batteries are not created equal, as you have found so I'm sure some losses are higher.
(If you have a Digital Multimeter Voltmeter/Ohm Tester you could probably go to finer increments to see what the loss is when you open a package.
A coarse gradation won't finesse it like you need.)

vlad said:
compared to rechargables which is MUCH higher-I do not recall the %, but you have it in a prior message.
All batteries are not created equal, as you have found so I'm sure some losses are higher.
(If you have a Digital Multimeter Voltmeter/Ohm Tester you could probably go to finer increments to see what the loss is when you open a package.
A coarse gradation won't finesse it like you need.)
I do have three multi-meters on my beach, I can get the voltage reading, but my head to full of stats to try and figure out that math!

Here is the spreadsheet with the latest results, to which two of the three test FLOPPED!
The Amazon Basic's did terrible, they are not worth $0.42 a piece, only one made the 6hr mark, the started flat lining around the .925v and then the jumped
off the cliff.

I redid the Poland Energizers from another NEW package with a fresh date and the same thing happened, they two didn't have a strong bottom end, the are still
beating the bottom of the barrel drum with the lowest result numbers to this point. Actually I believe that Energizer could even be sued for this, they NO DOUBT KNOW
that their Poland batteries is substandard and they are likely to even be buying substandard batteries and feeding them into circulation at a certain percentage of total
battery sells, and making HUGE profits for this scam, if not its sure looking that way.

The AllMax batteries did pretty good with a decent power delivery that stayed smooth and consistent across all four cells all the way down to 0.800v.

Before I go I wanted to mention that Monte has a pretty good idea about scoring or grading the batteries sort-a like a school report card. So, everybody here give it
some thoughts about adding something to the spreadsheet to score the results.

Here is the results for today,

Its the same spreadsheet, but as a test sample I added a score card column, BUT! Monte and I are undecided about what to use for the scores
We Could use,
Color's like I've got,
Numbers, or
Letters like A, B, C, D, or F
Or, no score at all?

Take a look at the spreadsheet , give it some thought and then give us your feedback.

'Pass or Fail' could be generalized as more of a simple 'Good or Bad'. You grab a flashlight to look for something in a darkened closet and it would either Pass, and be Good-enough to provide light to rummage around for three minutes to find something, or it would 'Fail' because the batteries were too weak and the amount of light was Bad and unusable.

But when it comes to wanting to get the most of our money, we should maybe look at what is the better way to 'grade' a battery we go out shopping for. We want to have it work well in a metal detector and provide ample power to give us a longer 'Run-Time' for a good days service, and that might end up providing a longer use-time. Just like having a better quality battery in our flashlights so that they might hold up longer in case they are need in an emergency and would have to handle a longer drain on the batteries.

One problem we might also face is not all batteries we see tested here are something that is going to be available to all of us. Some will be associated with a 'house-brand' or just might not be marketed in a lower population region. Also, we ought be aware of some options to maybe pick two of the better brands tested, and visit a retailer or two who also has other brands offered, and maybe a special on some of them. Knowing the better brands, not the lower-performing or the 'average' performing, but the better-performing brands that would allow us to check the 'Use By' date on the package and also consider the cost-per-battery based on the sale price and the package quantity.

So, looking at the results we have been seeing so far, with many more tests to go, I suggested this to him as a 'scoring 'or 'grading' method. I know that I don't like to spend my $$$ on just so-so stuff and I'll look for the Better stuff. Maybe not always the Best of something because that can sometimes be had only at a higher retail price, but even some of the Better performing batteries will do. Assign a Grade to all batteries that fall in a Run-Time range, especially since we are using 4 each on the battery test and not just basing it on a single battery per brand. . Here's what I suggested:

[size=large]A ..[/size] A Best battery tested to be Any Battery that provides a Run-Time of 9 Hr. or greater.

[size=large]B ..[/size] A Better or 'above average' battery tested that provided a Run-Time of 8 Hr. to less-than 9 Hr.

[size=large]C ..[/size] An Average battery tested that provided a Run-Time of 7 Hr. to less-than 8 Hr.

[size=large]D ..[/size] A Poor 'performing battery tested that provided a Run-Time of 6 Hr. to 7 Hr.

[size=large]F ..[/size] A Failure battery tested that provided a Run-Time of Less-than 6 Hr.

For the few that seemed to be going above and beyond ... and shockingly that's the Ray-O-Vac that have both gone over 10 Hrs. with one an additional 30 Minutes and the other an extra 24 Minutes. I know that after looking at the Run-Time chart MarkCZ posted just a few hours ago, I'd shop for an 'A' grade or 'B' grade battery before anything else and consider the cost. And if it runs over 10 Hr., I'd just consider that as 'Honors' in achievement.:thumbup:

So, what do you, the followers and readers, think of assigning the different batteries tested a Grade to make it easy to classify the Better and Best batteries from the rest of them? I know that while I usually don't hesitate to spend a decent amount on quality batteries, I also have a lot of AA devices around and on Outings I take extra batteries for those who might need them. For example, I'm interested in how the JobSmart batteries test and hope the at least make a 'C' grade as 'Average' performance because those cost me $5.00 for a 48 pack, so at only 10½¢ per battery, I could justify the price I paid.

Let us know what you think about breaking all these batteries down by 'Grade' as that might help a lot of folks sort through them and see what they feel would make their shopping list. Also, as Mark asked, if you have any new and current dated batteries to donate for testing, let it be known. I'm head out tomorrow to try and shop for some so that I can get them mailed off to Mark before the Post Office closes tomorrow.

Monte

I agree with Monte, and all though I just put two colors in the score card column for samples, I was actually thinking of at lest four, which could be,
Excellent,
Average, but good for the money,
Poor,
Reject (Failed).

I'm posting the spreadsheet again, not because of any new results but I have completed the list of battery brands that I have to be tested!!
the list covers every BATTERY I HAVE! So, if there is a brand you'd like to see the results of then you can mail them to me, just PM me with
request for my mailing address.

Also, it may be a couple of days before I'll get the chance to do anymore test, so that means a couple of days without any results to post.
And while I'm gone I'm expecting when I check back in to find LOTS input and helpful ideas?