Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another way to find some new places to hunt. :detecting:

khouse

I've been using this method for 4 years since buying a GPS. . You guys may already do this but I thought I would post it for some that don't. Do you have a GPS in your vehicle? If so just set it on "parks" while your driving around. We take trips for my Son's activities and short road trip get aways. What your looking for is parks that are named "City Park". City Parks are usually the oldest parks in any town. Also look for parks that are on streets like "Oak" or "Walnut". Any park that is on streets that are under 10th street. Parks at places like 3rd and Walnut are sure to be old. If I don't have time to stop I make note and research these parks online to see if they have potential. Give it a try and post your findings.....

Thanks for the advice Sir..

Nice! Super great idea! I've been thinking of getting a tablet of some sort and set it up the same way, just so a guy can find those parks, schools, or put it on satellite view and find old swimming holes etc...it would really take the driving around searching out of it...:clapping:
Mud

If I know that I am going to be in a certain area long enough to do a little detecting I go to Google Maps and search the city map for Schools, Playgrounds, parks, ETC. As an example I am going to be in North Carolina this coming weekend and have the addresses for six parks ready to punch into my gps. By looking at the satellite view I can tell where I want to start detecting in each of those parks.

I look at Google maps, satellite view for my leads on hidden fields. You can also check out parks that are named "Old" like the Old Exhibition Grounds, in Winnipeg.
My usual advice is do research on where old baseball fields once stood, and detect where there once were grandstands. Almost all old ballparks had some grandstands made of steel. You'll be sure to find old coins from before 1965 under them. Which means silver and wheaties. :)

Yeah I always search for parks with my GPS while driving around, very helpful and I find little parks not listed on google maps, earth etc.

Great piece of advice! You can also use a GPS equipped smartphone but my eyes aren't what they used to be so I use a large screen GPS myself.....way more easier to see and I like the sound of the lady that tells me where to go:).

Good advice!

When ever I go out of town hunting I use my GPS and put in Parks and also Schools. Love them tot lots.

When in Google Earth, try the "Street View". It can zoom in on a spot from different angles from a street level. When viewing a park, it can show you the various picnic tables, playgrounds, shade trees, etc. It has been extremely helpful to me.

Sometimes with Earth you can find parks that don't show up on the Parks and Rec web sites too. (Old little forgotten parks) I always look close at anything that looks like a park with G-Earth. Overlaing old maps onto G-E is a great way to find super sites to hunt.

Metaldetective1975 said:
When in Google Earth, try the "Street View". It can zoom in on a spot from different angles from a street level. When viewing a park, it can show you the various picnic tables, playgrounds, shade trees, etc. It has been extremely helpful to me.

Yes I do! I looked at house and see if its old house mean park might be old also I look at trees in park to know how old the park is! Large trees mean old!

This has been a valuable tool for me. http://www.historicaerials.com/

You compare what's here to day to was there in some cases in the past. You find where old building have been torn down etc.

tabman

I was up in Franklin Nc last month and tried searching for "Parks" in the Bryson City area. GPS came back with Swain County Park. So off to the races I went with my detector. GPS kept taking me further and further away from anything on lonely country roads. Finally stated that I had reached my destination. There was a nice clean area with a home in the middle of it. No park anywhere to be found. So I headed off to a nearby (10 miles) city park and dug some clad. After I got home from vacation I checked the area on Google Maps and all I can find is a large woodlands area. Might be plans for a park but at the present time there is Nothing there.

GeorgeinSC said:
I was up in Franklin Nc last month and tried searching for "Parks" in the Bryson City area. GPS came back with Swain County Park. So off to the races I went with my detector. GPS kept taking me further and further away from anything on lonely country roads. Finally stated that I had reached my destination. There was a nice clean area with a home in the middle of it. No park anywhere to be found. So I headed off to a nearby (10 miles) city park and dug some clad. After I got home from vacation I checked the area on Google Maps and all I can find is a large woodlands area. Might be plans for a park but at the present time there is Nothing there.

That's too bad. We recenty went to Florida from Missouri. We put out GPS on shortest distance. It took us on a lot of small away roads. There were a ton of cool old towns along the way. We were on a slight deadline for check in so I mostly drove through some old down towns. We found several old "City Parks" using the GPS. I just didn't have time to hunt them. But those parks are out there.

I have found a few good old beach's that way.....long gone.... instead of parks points of interest beach