Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any regrets?

I have a question which I believe I know the answer. For anyone who used to own an AT PRO or still does, but have switched to either Equinox model do you have any regrets? Would you make the switch again?

I have a question which I believe I know the answer. For anyone who used to own an AT PRO or still does, but have switched to either Equinox model do you have any regrets? Absolutely not
Would you make the switch again?
Absolutely

I will add: the AT Pro is a very good picker in iron with the 5x8” coil.

Last edited:
I made a lot of great finds with the AT Pro. Sold it to purchase a NOX but the new machine just didn't click with me in the area I hunt. I now have an ORX which I'm very pleased with. The NOX is an excellent machine, just not for me.

I wouldn't trade my Nox 800 for two AT Pros. I also have the ORX and the Deus. All three out perform the AT Pro in the iron infested ghost town and old home sites I detect.

You cant beat the tones on the Nox especially when you hit silver!
Mark
Mark, do you use 50 tones? If so does silver sound different?
I have been using five tones for over two years and probably try 50 tones soon.
Tony

Mark, do you use 50 tones? If so does silver sound different?
I have been using five tones for over two years and probably try 50 tones soon.
Tony
No only 5 tones I’ve tried both and in all metal mode no need for 50 IMHO
Mark

set your Knox to 50 tones. Make a line up of targets. Penny nickel dime quarter and then silver ones. Go over each target listen to the tones. The knox makes a shrill screeching tone over any good target

I use 5 tones. When I hit silver the sound is what call a plinker. the vdi never seems to be all that helpful. I tend to hunt by ear first and vdi second. Dimes and quarters are my sweet spot if I'm cherry picking, but those plinkers get me excited. once in a blue moon they turn out to be a rusty old bottle cap, but I run zeros on fe and f2.

There's no such thing as a silver tone. The tones are what you set them as. Yes your high tone may at times be a silver item but it will just as often be something else. Yes the Nox makes a happy tone over a good round target but it certainly doesn't mean its silver. The last Minelab unit that you could tell that you had a silver coin with was the Etrac and that wasn't a tone that was with the display as a silver coin would overhang the top right edge with a blue indicator. Now go ahead and argue with me, I will bring a handful of cash and we will bet on your silver tones. Get out there

There's no such thing as a silver tone. The tones are what you set them as. Yes your high tone may at times be a silver item but it will just as often be something else. Yes the Nox makes a happy tone over a good round target but it certainly doesn't mean its silver. The last Minelab unit that you could tell that you had a silver coin with was the Etrac and that wasn't a tone that was with the display as a silver coin would overhang the top right edge with a blue indicator. Now go ahead and argue with me, I will bring a handful of cash and we will bet on your silver tones. Get out there
Well said Todd. We remember the silver very well. The other stuff...not so much. I’ve had some kick ass audio and screen indications on my Explorer that I was SURE were silver coins which certainly weren’t silver, or even coins at all.
Theres no way for the EQX to convey via audio using 5 tone that a 23 is different than a 38, if that bin is set 20-50. The “round sound” is just that....sounds very nice but could be anything.

I have found a dozen small low silver content (17-33%) coin in Germany that come up at 9-12 on the Nox. Small hammered also come up low. My gold coin was found behind someone working a Nokta, who was not digging signals in that range thinking they were "Junk". Even the early VLF machines found the larger/shallow silver. Sure, when I Pass over a German 5 Mark silver (2 this year) it sings out at 33-34, but it is the size of a half dollar and 63% silver. No way anyone missed those if a coil came near it.

The Nox is key for working areas that have had a detector swing over them. It clarifies the good targets that are masked by Iron that the other machines zero out. I work an area that has 3-6 signals that are <0 per swing. lots of bits of iron accumulate over 2000 years, and add in shrapnel from 500 pound bombs from WWII. It really took me 100 hours to recognize those signals that are bad. I now dig much fewer targets, but have a higher good target ratio. ( ok, a lot of brass/bronze/pewter pieces of junk, but I do not mind those)

Now you will understand why I use 50 tones because I can hear the subtle difference. But to each his own.

I'm still on the fence, reservations, whatever you want to call it on the Nox. I am strictly a relic hunter and the Nox has not performed really any better than my X-Terras 70 or 705. I'll give it a few hunts more and carry both to compare. Nice thing is I will not loose much
money if I decide to ditch it. I'm picking up another X-Terra 70 on the cheap next week to add to my collection. I will have enough to have every size/type coil on it, plus have extras for when one goes south on me.

You would like to claim that you can hear a difference but you can't. A tone is a tone plain and simple. The tone corresponds to a target ID number be that has been assigned by you in 2bins 5bins or 50 tones. Yes a clean coin signal sounds better but that doesn't signify Silver and if you've detected long enough you know it could still be a perfectly folded piece of something.
No magic here. No better headphones than the other guys no better ear for it. It's not a preference of a way to think except you like to fool yourself. Sometimes it will be gold, silver, copper or brass and mostly it will be crap. We are stuck digging it all. It's just part of the game.
Let's all hope for the machine that can tell us what's there. For now we will have to do with hey something is there.

Site that your on
Tone of target
Size of target
Depth of target
TID of target
Sweep in two directions
Dig
And by all means hope that it's gold or silver

get out there

I'm still on the fence, reservations, whatever you want to call it on the Nox. I am strictly a relic hunter and the Nox has not performed really any better than my X-Terras 70 or 705. I'll give it a few hunts more and carry both to compare. Nice thing is I will not loose much
money if I decide to ditch it. I'm picking up another X-Terra 70 on the cheap next week to add to my collection. I will have enough to have every size/type coil on it, plus have extras for when one goes south on me.
Those are all excellent machines and really the only advantages to the Equinox over the ones you’ve mentioned are the multiple frequencies and the speed, these are both very big advantages. Adjacent targets are where it’s at. Advantage goes strongly to the Nox.

Oh and one last thing... we , mostly me guilty, completely took over a thread here and went in another direction. Sorry about that.

You would like to claim that you can hear a difference but you can't. A tone is a tone plain and simple. The tone corresponds to a target ID number be that has been assigned by you in 2bins 5bins or 50 tones. Yes a clean coin signal sounds better but that doesn't signify Silver and if you've detected long enough you know it could still be a perfectly folded piece of something.
No magic here. No better headphones than the other guys no better ear for it. It's not a preference of a way to think except you like to fool yourself. Sometimes it will be gold, silver, copper or brass and mostly it will be crap. We are stuck digging it all. It's just part of the game.
Let's all hope for the machine that can tell us what's there. For now we will have to do with hey something is there.

Site that your on
Tone of target
Size of target
Depth of target
TID of target
Sweep in two directions
Dig
And by all means hope that it's gold or silver

get out there
CT Todd..... But wouldn't you agree that running 50 tones would give an edge over just running 5 tones. You are a well-respected member on this forum so I'm just throwing this out there.
Example: 50 tones ÷ 10 = the five tones
So if you're running 5 tones, and you pass over a Target, that only registers at the third tone,... you may,..? or may not...? dig the target. But if you are running the 50 tones, the exact same Target might register a 38 or 39 tone running the 50 tones, and therefore giving you more of an incentive to dig..! Is there any logic to what I am saying, or am I missing something..?

Last edited: