Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone been/felt threatened while detecting?

Monkeys Uncle

Just curious...have any of you encountered persons who threatened you, i.e., demanding $ or wanted your detector?
shocked.gif
I have not...but often hunt alone and sometimes after dark in public parks, etc. Having become an "old coot", I've wondered if some passerby might be thinking, "Old man...easy pickings and I've always wanted one of those detector thingies. Could pawn for lots of $".

Stories...tell em!
wow.gif

I am an old man myself and hunt mostly alone as well. I have been with this grand hobby now for 48 years and have never had what I would consider a real scary encounter. Oh, I have had to shoo off the occasional bum or homeless person looking for a handout ever so often and one time one wasn't happy with just receiving the only $2.00 I had on me and I had to tell him if he didn't leave me alone I would taser him and aimed my pin pointer at him. Couldn't help but wonder if he had been tasered before as he took off like a scalded cat. I DON'T, HOWEVER, HUNT AFTER DARK. HH jim tn

I was hunting a public park several years ago (it was dusk) and caught a glimpse of an individual coming towards me on my left side. I could see him advancing quite quickly but this goon was in for a surprise lol. I displayed my lesche hand-held digger. That nice big shiny serrated blade change his whole tune and direction :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I have felt a little uneasy a time of two, but things worked out. I would absolutely love to hunt an area in Atlanta that I used to hunt back in the 80's. We found some nice relics there, but now it would most likely be a one way hunt, meaning a no return. This area is now crawling with Drugs, Bugs, and THUGS. It's a shame too, I know there is probably some good stuff left. A gentleman was hunting solo there a while back wearing headphones and bent over a signal with his back turned when he was struck over the head from behind rendering him unconcious. When he came too his detector and all his equipment were gone along with his vehicle. As horrible as this was, at least the poor guy wasn't killed. THUGS......I hatem'.

A couple years ago I headed to a Dearborn park after work. I was an early spring afternoon and school let out.
The neighbor hood population was ethnically Mid-Eastern.
I attracted a crowd of young boys who were mostly curious which was fine until a group on older teens showed up.
The leader wanted to "try"my detector. I said no way...can't have it.
I cleared out the area and headed for the car. I could see where that encounter might get ugly.
I have my 30" long spade I carry for square plugs and to help boost me off my knees..
I am sure that was a factor for dissuading any unwanted advances.
I pick my park ventures a bit more carefully

Well while hunting the river bank flood wall with a Whites hip mount detector, I was coming to a line of high weeds and this guy rushes me from the weeds. With no time to think the coil shaft went to full home run swing. The guy decided he didn't want to damage my detector and he made a sudden turn back down in the direction of the river.

Another time a guy didn't have bad intentions, but I didn't know that, he was high on huffing gold paint. So he come out from between 2 buildings right at me. I had a screwdriver that I had made into a probe for coins in my hand. I anchored the probe in both hands and keep telling myself don't stick him until he makes the first move. He got right in my face and the probe was just a few inches away from his gut aiming at a angle up. That is when I could see the gold paint all around his nose and mouth. He said what the heck are you doing and I said metal detecting and as he turned to leave he said playing. This one left me shacking, knowing I was just a spit second from sticking this guy.

Ron in WV

I was hunting alone on the beach on a rather dark night. It was a rather isolated stretch of beach. I was hunting up close to the dunes and this area has some aggressive wildlife. I was walking along and kept getting a feeling that something wasn't right and that something was following me. I kept looking all around and behind me but there wasn't anything. I started getting the feeling that something was going to come over the dunes and jump me. I patted my little buddy in my pocket and he reassured me that he has got this. About that time I heard something hitting the sand behind me. I looked back and saw movement. I picked up my pace and looked back it was following me a little faster. I started a slow run and it was still pacing me. I started to run looked back and it was making leaps and bounds towards me. I decided that me and my little buddy were going to make a stand. I stopped turned around and about that time my handheld scoop that I was dragging behind me landed at my feet. I was skeered but I laughed so hard I'm sure they could have heard me for miles down the beach.

I was hunting alone on the beach on a rather dark night. It was a rather isolated stretch of beach. I was hunting up close to the dunes and this area has some aggressive wildlife. I was walking along and kept getting a feeling that something wasn't right and that something was following me. I kept looking all around and behind me but there wasn't anything. I started getting the feeling that something was going to come over the dunes and jump me. I patted my little buddy in my pocket and he reassured me that he has got this. About that time I heard something hitting the sand behind me. I looked back and saw movement. I picked up my pace and looked back it was following me a little faster. I started a slow run and it was still pacing me. I started to run looked back and it was making leaps and bounds towards me. I decided that me and my little buddy were going to make a stand. I stopped turned around and about that time my handheld scoop that I was dragging behind me landed at my feet. I was skeered but I laughed so hard I'm sure they could have heard me for miles down the beach.
Had a similar incident but not metal detecting. I was wade fishing by myself (salt water - Galveston Bay). It was about mid-night and I was wading against the out-bound tide. Finally decided to turn around and head back to my vehicle. Didn't realize my dip-net that was tied to my waist had drifted away from me. Now going the other way, it suddenly brushed up against my bare leg and I immediately thought "shark". It took several minutes for my pulse to return to normal and decided right there...night fishing - alone was not very bright. Never repeated that practice. Did catch a few keepers though.

Just curious...have any of you encountered persons who threatened you, i.e., demanding $ or wanted your detector?
shocked.gif
I have not...but often hunt alone and sometimes after dark in public parks, etc. Having become an "old coot", I've wondered if some passerby might be thinking, "Old man...easy pickings and I've always wanted one of those detector thingies. Could pawn for lots of $".

Stories...tell em!
wow.gif
Well.I was'nt detecting at the Time.But I got Verbaly beat up by a bunch of Gun Loving Militants over on the "Views" Site.Their looking for Commies under their Beds.....stoneshirt

Attachments

• 5eac32cb85f5406fe86e3e12.JPG
    5eac32cb85f5406fe86e3e12.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 195
Just like earthypotluck, I make sure I display my Lesche knife, not in a threatening way but in a way that they know you have a potential weapon. I'm always aware of my situations wherever I go. Ive' been approached but not messed with and I pity the poor person that tangles with me!!! Ah yep, I have some wickedly sharp serations (enhanced by me)!!

Years ago, a club member was detecting a So Cal beach. A teenager approached and started asking questions about detecting. He asked if if could try it and as soon as he had it in his hands he took off running. Detector was never seen again.

I find reading this quite interesting. I’m retired law enforcement with 35 yrs combined military, city, and county law enforcement. I have been taught and continue to teach family and friends to be situationally aware. I never know when some gook that I sent to prison might recognize me and seek revenge. It is second nature for me to look up and around every few seconds. I have two adult sons who have told me that advise has saved them from getting into a bad situation. Nothing we are doing and recovering is worth your safety and life. As a police firearms instructor I am well aware of the Use of Force Continuum and its ramifications. If you are going to pack, learn to use it second nature and only to protect yourself from serious injury or death. Stand your ground is not necessarily an iron clad defense. Where I live it is pretty quiet and most approachers are simply curious.
I have been asked several times what the biggest difference was between working the city and working the county. My response has always been, “people in the county wave with all their fingers”.

I find reading this quite interesting. I’m retired law enforcement with 35 yrs combined military, city, and county law enforcement. I have been taught and continue to teach family and friends to be situationally aware. I never know when some gook that I sent to prison might recognize me and seek revenge. It is second nature for me to look up and around every few seconds. I have two adult sons who have told me that advise has saved them from getting into a bad situation. Nothing we are doing and recovering is worth your safety and life. As a police firearms instructor I am well aware of the Use of Force Continuum and its ramifications. If you are going to pack, learn to use it second nature and only to protect yourself from serious injury or death. Stand your ground is not necessarily an iron clad defense. Where I live it is pretty quiet and most approachers are simply curious.
I have been asked several times what the biggest difference was between working the city and working the county. My response has always been, “people in the county wave with all their fingers”.
Orig. poster here...my youngest son is retired LEO and if/when he accompanies me when I detect, his first comments are related to the neighborhood (good/bad) where I've chosen to hunt. Guess what...I trust his judgement!! :yo: Oh...THANKS for your service!!! You deserve our gratitude.