Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!



Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

atx cable poor

Marmot

New member
I have had my ATX for less than four months and cable has degraded and the detector now falses badly. I have used it in the surf or on wet sand once or twice a week. I washed it down thoroughly after each outing. I sent it back to Garrett
for repairs. Replacement cables aren't easy to come by. This is completely unacceptable.
 
Marmot said:
I have had my ATX for less than four months and cable has degraded and the detector now falses badly. I have used it in the surf or on wet sand once or twice a week. I washed it down thoroughly after each outing. I sent it back to Garrett
for repairs. Replacement cables aren't easy to come by. This is completely unacceptable.


That's not right for the cable to last only four months ... it should have lasted at least six months if you purchased it new.

Looks like you discovered this very active forum to late.
 
I have sent my ATX in twice for cracks in the cable wire. All in a one year period. It was still under warranty and they replaced it and the coil both times for free.
It is now sitting just as I received it from Garrett and not used at all for fear it will happen again. Trying to decide whether to sell it or not.
 

dmnz

New member
Hay guys.

I was probably the most active atx user on this board. The atx is an awesome PI. More than 100 gold rings / year with that machine till the cables degraded too many times.

I still love the Atx and tried again the other day. Looks like we need to throw away the green case, coiled cable, and turn it into a proper water machine! Its a two tone pi and very reliable. I still love it!
 

Dancer

Well-known member
dmnz said:
Hay guys.

I was probably the most active atx user on this board. The atx is an awesome PI. More than 100 gold rings / year with that machine till the cables degraded too many times.

I still love the Atx and tried again the other day. Looks like we need to throw away the green case, coiled cable, and turn it into a proper water machine! Its a two tone pi and very reliable. I still love it!

Garrett had something like that once. The Infinium. Two tone, interchangeable coils, shaft or belt mounted. A real work horse. All terrain. Than came the big brother ATX, with a couple big improvements. Unfortunately (no body knows why) they mounted it on maybe the worst platform on the market. It takes more care than a Blackpowder muzzle loader firearm. Along with the high sticker price, spare coils cost as much as some top detectors. Than comes the break downs, and the weight. So ya wonder why they just don't revamp it.
 

denny45

Member
Marmot said:
I have had my ATX for less than four months and cable has degraded and the detector now falses badly. I have used it in the surf or on wet sand once or twice a week. I washed it down thoroughly after each outing. I sent it back to Garrett
for repairs. Replacement cables aren't easy to come by. This is completely unacceptable.
. Did you buy new or used? Are you still having problems?
 

denny45

Member
doc holiday232 said:
THE REASON I won't buy one.
Just received the new replacement 10x12 coil. The coil cable has a clear coating and looks better than the old. I wouldn’t worry about saltwater anymore.and I don’t collapse the detector as I am afraid it might still pinch the coil cable.
 

beav

Member
" The coil cable has a clear coating ...."

Sounds to me like they are just spraying on a clear rubberized membrane but keeping the same coiled cable materials(?) Hard to say without seeing it first hand.
Beav
 

denny

New member
beav said:
" The coil cable has a clear coating ...."

Sounds to me like they are just spraying on a clear rubberized membrane but keeping the same coiled cable materials(?) Hard to say without seeing it first hand.
Beav
You really think Garrett would be using the same materials.
 

beav

Member
Thanks for the picture.
It's hard to tell but its probable they changed materials I guess.
Time will tell.
Beav
 

denny45

Member
Replacement coils were made sometime in 2017 my ATX was made 2015 and bought new in 2016 the warranty has expired and Garrett still replaced the old coil. It shouldn’t be that hard to redo the coil cable with the right materials I mean Garrett has been manufacturing detectors for years. On the most popular auction website I asked about the issue to a few sellers none knew about the issue only one said there were cracks he now is receiving a new replacement coil. Anybody who purchased a used ATX recently and having a coil cable issue has a machine made in 2012-2016.
 

doc holiday232

New member
denny said:
beav said:
" The coil cable has a clear coating ...."

Sounds to me like they are just spraying on a clear rubberized membrane but keeping the same coiled cable materials(?) Hard to say without seeing it first hand.
Beav
You really think Garrett would be using the same materials.

YES they would--rather than admit and move forward.
 

denny

New member
doc holiday232 said:
denny said:
beav said:
" The coil cable has a clear coating ...."

Sounds to me like they are just spraying on a clear rubberized membrane but keeping the same coiled cable materials(?) Hard to say without seeing it first hand.
Beav
You really think Garrett would be using the same materials.

YES they would--rather than admit and move forward.
.
Looks and feels pretty good even up close. Haven’t heard anything negative since the replacement coil. We’ll see after a year or so. The old coil cable on my atx developed cracks and had bad ground noise and I never had it in fresh/saltwater or collapsed the detector to make it smaller. Replacement coil took care of the ground noise now wait and see if there are still issues with cracking.

You should go to a Garrett dealer and see for yourself if coil cable is the same.
 

doc holiday232

New member
Since this seems to be the Number 1 negative issue with the ATX would it not make sense that Garrett would announce the Solution to the ATX cable problem,however,this would be an admission that there WAS a problem to begin with. My money is on them making NO announcement since they would Never admit to the problem in the first place.
 

Seeker Shawn

New member
I wish more people that have bought new ones with the new cable would weigh in here. I just refused shipment on one that I bought on Amazon after reading this thread. All the videos I see on You Tube make it sound like the detector that saved mother earth. Really glad I found this thread! If we can get confirmation that the coil issue is resolved might be worth buying a new one if we make sure it is a "new" one and not a "new" one that's just not sold from last year and has the old cables. Anymore people out there with the new cables?
 
Top