Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

atx cable poor

WaterWalker,

I hear what you are saying, but in my case these are not "marks" made when the wire was made to coil.
Clearly as you can see in this picture of my cable, it is a break-down (deterioration) of the cables outer PVC black jacket that keeps the inside of the cable DRY.
There are not just "marks", but clearly 'rips'/'tears'/etc rendering the cable useless and not waterproof at all.

Beav

shelton7522 said:
The same like mine. Hard plastic cover, not rubber or silicone. Cheap material from China. For worth 2500 USD machine.
. Do blame china or any foreign country it's made in the USA. Bad quality control from Garrett.

shelton7522 said:
If its truly made into USA this is not good... ;)
I agree! I bought my ATX earlier this year and just recently checked my coil cable and it looked fine. Are users of the ATX with cracked cables collapsing their machines during transport or when not in use? Maybe. I never collapse any of my machines when transport or when not in use I like to keep coil tension the same.

ok­ garrett­ is doing a­ good thing­ by replacing­ the plates­ under warranty­?­ after­ what will happen­?­ what­ amazes me is­ his silence­ about this issue­ because­ I believe­ that all the­ plates­ built­ so far with­ this type of cable­ will have problems­.­ since­ you pretend­ not to see­ them­ feel better­ that sells­ this­ metal­ and do not buy­ more­ products­ garrett­

Hi all
I just ordered the ATX. My question to you all with coil problems is.....do you think the damage is exclusively caused when extending and retracting the shaft?
Thank you

I'm no chemist, but does anyone know if cured Fiberglass Resin (what the shafts are made of) attacks PVC material (what the cable jacket is most likely made of)??
My new coil has not seen one drop of salt water or sand or anything (actually it's NEVER been used), and it has come from the factory this way with cracks in the PVC jacket, so I don't necessarily agree that the coil is damaged extending or retracting the shaft - at least not in my case.

Beav

beav said:
I'm no chemist, but does anyone know if cured Fiberglass Resin (what the shafts are made of) attacks PVC material (what the cable jacket is most likely made of)??
My new coil has not seen one drop of salt water or sand or anything (actually it's NEVER been used), and it has come from the factory this way with cracks in the PVC jacket, so I don't necessarily agree that the coil is damaged extending or retracting the shaft - at least not in my case.

Beav
I think extending and retracting will make it worse. Did you send your coil for replacement? If so I would send it back.

I sent it for replacement once, at which time the dealer was told by Garrett that they would not replace it again even if it developed cracks in the cable. They would only honour one
replacement. The Garrett engineers stated that a cracked cable would not cause any issues even if it got water in it. Sorry, not buying that at all. I'm not to happy, but I can't do much now.
I have a brand new coil right out of the box with cracked cable jacket = leak path!

Beav

I bought a atx about 2years ago, I saw this post and took a close look at my machine. I looked at the stock coil it looked OK,but I also bought a 8 inch mono coil, that coil had some issues with cracks and damage. I called Garrett and sent it in, they replaced the coil. I got it back in about 10 days. I feel that I was treated right. Thanks Garrett for such good service. I think this machine is good in the right places. I also bought a at pro which is another good machine in the right places, As for cleaning the Atx, I will now, remove the coil from the machine after a hunt and wash the inside of the shaft and let the coil wire to dry out. I just got back from Florida, I wash it well, when I got back to the house, which was about 3days travel, I still had moisture on the coil wire. I think that might help with the problem, since I had it in salt water. OK,these are my thoughts on the coil wire problem. Happy Hunting to everyone.

Would really love to know a solution! I have two ATX machines, both had warranty replacements for the cable once, now both "new coils" are showing signs of degradation in the cable. Meaning those coils can no longer be used in the water....

There has been cases of 'shaft damage' - this is not to be confused with cracking on the insides of the cable.

Actually, I have the 8" monos as well, also with the issue in the past.

I have made a straight shaft and are thinking about trying to 'heat shrink' over the entire faulty cable. I am 100% sure that if salt water gets into the cable it is "all over" for the coil, as one of the centre leads is 'open plain wire' which will corrode, harden and break. I actually pulled apart a faulty coil, and found salt deposits throughout the entire cable (wicking).

I do wonder if it is something in the shaft material causing the rubber to break down, as some, with minor use, are experiencing the issue.

Garrett has been fantastic warranty wise (no complaints there), but unsure how I will get on with another 'replacement request'!!!

I still say it's incompatibility between the PVC cable jacket and something in the cured epoxy in the fiberglass...It could also start attacking when salt water gets thrown into the chemical mix and
stays in the hollow shaft in storage. Just thinking out loud.

Beav

I have to agree with you your's looks nothing like mine, it looks like a manufacturing defect. I am sure garrett does not manufacture the cable. Poor Quality Control on both parties actions.