Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach hunting break in threshold

I got out on the beach for the first time yesterday to hunt and it was a great learning experience. The beach I was hunting was really quiet, low trash but periodically I'd be swinging and the threshold would break consistently over the same spot but nothing registered in terms of sound or TID. My question is this, what is the detector trying to tell me? Is this a super deep target? Should a person dig these threshold breaks?

Thanks
Dave

Dig anything you don't understand at the beach.

I get that I need to dig everything as that is what I always have done with the other 8 detectors I've owned. I'm just curious about the threshold breaks. I searched the dry sand on Friday looking for a ladies diamond engagement ring she had lost some time ago and I was using a gold beach program I got from Clives website. The beach was a clean one trash wise so targets were few however every deep target came in scratchy until I removed a layer of sand and the more sand I removed the cleaner the sound got. I dug a dime that at first was a broken signal but as each scoop came out it became clearer and cleaner and out came a dime that was over 12" deep. This is what got me thinking about breaks in the threshold. Are these "breaks" just really deep targets that the machine isn't able to identify clearly? I'm hoping this is just another of the benefits of using a CTX as I justify the price I paid for it. My buddy was using his ATpro and when I had him run his coil over the break locations he heard nothing which is what I would expect to happen with his machine over what a CTX could find.

What I mean by my comment is that if you don't understand what you are hearing/seeing, digging it up will teach you more than any internet forum will. There is no universal answer to your question.

I agree..... any deep target you cant confirm is iron..... dig it. Thats how u learn. Like was said..... you dont know what u dont know..... so dont find a reason not to dig on a beach.

Try your detector on a bobbypin and see if that is what you are experiencing.
Then play around with GC, FC, High Trash modes as well as manual NC settings like 1, 6, 11 to see any differences (on the bobbypin).
Use open screen, no discrimination. I think in some modes it will switch from a null to a visible/audible on lower left corner.
One thing that will make you wonder is switching between Beach mode and Coin mode in dry sand. When I do this (usually when I'm not finding much in Beach mode) I seem to find a coin pretty quickly. My mind must not be discriminating coins from trash signals plus I get false tones from higher sensitivity. Even in Coin mode though I probably should create a better mask pattern to weed out some junk. By this time though I have been hunting for hours and just give up on gold rings and look for dimes/quarters, which are easier to hear and see on the screen.
I am an engineer and always am curious what is under the coil and have wasted lots of time and energy finding iron rods, tent stakes, two feet deep coke cans, etc.
Some of these were nulls or targets that jumped around iron/copper areas and changed as I dug closer. Best to have some kind of minimum disc pattern along the bottom that rises on the right to mask out larger variety of iron. Also a little on top right to mask iron wrap around that sometimes happens.