Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Finds Ever !!!

wildherre

Those three words seem to mean different things to different people.... Some of the "Hey Look at Me" folks think that their best finds are a piece of jewelry or a old coin , complete with a clever title, vivid description, pics and a video...
Some also seem to not care how many toes they have to step on to recover these great treasures..

To others like myself, the best find of the day may be a coin, a piece of jewelry or more likely a friend I made, or the memory of a place I saw along the way.... Sometimes, even I forget to smell the roses along the way and have to do a reset...

A couple months ago I took a lady friend of mine detecting at a small town park in Illinois... We went to different areas in the park and started digging... After a half hour or so I looked over and my lady friend had attracted every kid in the park.. When she would kneel down to dig there was a big huddle around her to see what she was about to recover... After awhile most lost interest and went about other ventures..

I returned to that park a week or so later and was there a half hour or so and this 10-12 year old girl ran up, called me by name, asked where my lady friend was, (also by name) asked if I found anything good and went on her way....

At another small town town square I met a older feller a few times that has been into detecting for 20-30 years... I always enjoy listening to these guys, tales about all the silver they recovered in the past, tales of their old gray Teknetics, or Red Baron.... I ve even had them load me up and drive me around to spots they have permission to hunt...Ive also spent the last of my daylight at a coffee shop when they spotted me and want to by me a cup and tell me a few tales..

I ve hunted in central Indiana with a feller that does "magic" with a sweet home machine, great guy and a very good detectorist...

Ive met Amish craftsmen building a barn at a fairgrounds in Kentucky, also met the president & vice president of the fair board & was told to come back anytime...

Ive also stopped and bought lemonade from a cardboard stand and watched their eyes light up when I tell them to keep the change from my dollar....

Ive got hundreds of great finds like this, and even find a coin or two along the way...I also try to leave a bit of myself behind... sorry no video.... wildherre

5403245497_71168d1966_b.jpg

Nice back thoughts and reminiscings. Thanks for sharing! We meet many great and kind folks while metal detecting. It also affords us the opportunity to be one of those type folks.

Nice post Ken. I've had to do that same reset a couple times myself. In more recent years, it has become my focus. HH Randy

You one blessed man Ken !! It is my privilege to call you my friend...
Ray

Wildherre, I dont know you and cant read your mind therefore I can only read the words and interpret them. I suppose your words were well meant but the comment: "Some of the "Hey Look at Me" folks think that their best finds are a piece of jewelry or a old coin , complete with a clever title, vivid description, pics and a video...Some also seem to not care how many toes they have to step on to recover these great treasures.." demeans anyone that posts a picture of what they worked hard to recover or are proud of what they found. This is a metal detecting forum, and I thought it was focused on CTX3030 finds, issues, methods, etc.. To allude that a person that posts pictures, has a video or a catchy title is somehow an attention-getter that 'step on toes' is pretty arrogant. You may be a heckuva nice guy, but those comments leave me with a totally opposite opinion! At least to me!

If I am out of line, then all I can say is I only read what was written.

jas415 said:
Wildherre, I dont know you and cant read your mind therefore I can only read the words and interpret them. I suppose your words were well meant but the comment: "Some of the "Hey Look at Me" folks think that their best finds are a piece of jewelry or a old coin , complete with a clever title, vivid description, pics and a video...Some also seem to not care how many toes they have to step on to recover these great treasures.." demeans anyone that posts a picture of what they worked hard to recover or are proud of what they found. This is a metal detecting forum, and I thought it was focused on CTX3030 finds, issues, methods, etc.. To allude that a person that posts pictures, has a video or a catchy title is somehow an attention-getter that 'step on toes' is pretty arrogant. You may be a heckuva nice guy, but those comments leave me with a totally opposite opinion! At least to me!

If I am out of line, then all I can say is I only read what was written.

For the most part I second what Jas said...I, not all that long ago posted a "My find of a lifetime" which it was and will probably remain to be for a long time. As I started reading his post I thought of my "find of a lifetime" and I was thinking "Hey! what is that all about?", "Whose toes did I step on?".
All in all,I would have enjoyed WildHerre's post if he had left out that first paragraph which just seemed like a not so subtle attack at what is a big part of this forum.

I'm sure it was with good intentions. I think he's just trying to reiterate that sometimes we lose focus on enjoying where we're at and who we're with. I'm guilty of that for sure. I get so driven to find a certain coin or treasure that I find myself getting upset when I head home without making that find. Of coarse I always snap back and pull my head out and just reflect on all the cool stuff I saw or the people I got to hang out with. It's easy to get caught up... It's a serious addiction for most of us here. I mean... Lets face it... If you own a CTX you've got it bad haha! I will continue to post my finds (good or not) because I'm sure that there are certain individuals here that might have physical limitations and like to hunt vicariously through our posts. I know I do. When the winter sets in I'll keep an eye out for those fortunate enough to hunt year round. I look forward to seeing all the awesome stuff that people are finding and it gives me hope when I see that it's still out there for anyone willing to put in the leg work.
Keep it low and swing it slow my friends.

I think the title to his post and the first sentence make his intentions very clear........Best Finds Ever!!! Those three words seem to mean different things to different people.

Different things to different people...... as in we're not all alike. We all have different reasons we enjoy this hobby. If you watch any of the detecting shows, we know that some folks consider their best finds to be coins or jewelry. And, there are those who are willing to do just about anything to recover a hidden treasure. You can do a google search of lawsuits and metal detecting and find pages of them. But in my opinion, what Ken was bringing to light is what many of us may have forgotten over the years.....some of our best finds might be a specific coin or a piece of jewelry..... but it doesn't always have to be about material things. Making new friends, gaining more appreciation for our local histories, sharing time with those who's company we cherish, or simply enjoying what nature has to offer. To some of us, these things can be just as important, if not more so, than any silver or gold "recovery" could represent. As I get older, my safe may be getting heavier. But my list of living friends is getting shorter. I'd trade just about anything in that safe for one more hunt with some of my old friends.

I'm not here to referee any disagreements about what someone has posted. But I think anyone who reads Ken's entire post and takes offense, should read it a bit closer and not be so defensive. HH Randy

Perhaps his post would have been better placed in the metal detecting forum.
I just hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes or said Hey look at me lately, if I do I expect a quick kick from the closest forum member available to put me back in place.

Folks who post stories, pics or videos of their CTX 3030 finds (on this forum) will not step on anyone's toes. Sharing our "finds" and helping each other make the most of our hobby is what this forum is all about. Had I thought that Ken's post would have been viewed in a negative light, I'd have moved it to the metal detecting forum in the first place. But knowing of Ken's dedication to the hobby for so many years, and knowing he uses a CTX 3030 in his journeys, I honestly thought his "view" of what he has found to be important to him......might be insightful to others.
I don't want to turn off the ability to respond as I know some would accuse me of censorship. (sometimes you just can't win) Instead, I'd suggest that, if anyone is personally offended by his post, don't post a response. Eventually, just like all the rest of our posts, it will float to another page. JMHO HH Randy

From some aspects I may have been guilty of "Hey look at my find". After reflecting yes it was about the find due to the work I put in to find it. I am not a park or yard hunter. I hunt for relics in northern Arkansas where they are very hard to find due to the lack of information to locate the camps. When there was something found I was proud that the research and covering acres and acres of ground paid off.

But this post got me to thinking. Even though I am proud of the relics that I have found the relationships that have been made are also memories that will never be forgotten just like the finds. My little brother was the one who got my interest started in metal detecting. Presently we live only a little more than an hour away from each other our lives are busy with our kids and our own families that we don't get to detect together much anymore. Then there was a State Trooper, when I was a deputy, that started this obsession with civil war relics. We hunted together for a few years then shifts changed and we just stopped going together. A few years later this trooper was shot in the line of duty. When he came home I visited and told him we would start going again as soon as he was well. After a year or so we started hunting together again.

Not many people detect here and most have given the hobby up for various reasons health, time, money or other reasons but those that were closest I still call and invite to go with me, they never do. So basically I am hunting alone. This post made me think about the comraderie that we had while detecting together. With the technology age I have made new friends all over the U.S. and the world for that matter. I will probably never meet any of these folks, but these groups and boards allow us to continue with the comraderie of the hunt and finds that we would have shared in person.

Thanks for the post. It made me think of all the guys who have taken me and helped me along the way. And to the ones that still help from learning the CTX or one of the other machines I have through this group or one of the many others that I belong to.

I DON'T KNOW YOU , BUT I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR THE POST . FRIENDS WE MAKE ALONG THE WAY ARE WORTH MORE THAN SILVER OR GOLD.THANKS GOD BLESS YOU.

We all have our own "BEST FINDS" brag list. Mine are the relics I find and how they relate to the past. Many people stop and ask how/what am I doing and I usually reply that I am looking for old and gold. The conversation almost always end with I am off the couch out in the fresh air and enjoying dirt fishing.

Really metal detecting finds. Better than me. I found only several coins during the past two months. I found that metal detecting is far more difficult than I think. Besides owning a good metal detector, the most important thing is that you should be very patient. Because you will find much more scraps than treasures. Anyone can show more metal detecting finds?

I understand where he is coming from. I have been in this great hobby for over 45 years and have made many great finds all around the world. At the time of each of these great finds, I was on Cloud Nine. I started in 1968 when I was 15. I am now 60. My house looks like a History of America and from around the world. But, I remember all the great people that I have met on this great journey that my life has been on. I have always said that this was a trip of first... "The Search" I do not hunt as much as I would like, but, I am surrounded with my finds and the people that I have met on this long journey in search for the next big fin, Treasures & New Friends that will come my way in the future until I am called to my eternal rest. Until then, Let The Search Continue!!! Jesse W. McComas, Disabled Veteran, & Life Long Treasure Hunter, No matter what come my way.

Whoever found the coins of the WWI/WWII?

Administrator's note to Tommy Varro...... I removed the link you had to the metal detector wholesale site. Please do not post links to dealer's websites who are not sponsors of this forum.