Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Broken ears on stock coil

Grunter

On my last water hunt my coil ears snapped off on the coil,almost flush with the coil housing. Would the coil ear stiffeners that are being sold repair this by gluing it on the coil?

No Warranty? I think Minelab should repair/ replace these coils the ears are a defective part and they know it warranty or not

Maybe everyone thats had an issue with these coils should report them to the consumer protection agenct or fiule a class action.

This issue is an ongoing thing with Minelab. Nobody should have to buy coil ear stiffeners. Happened to me with the X Terra. Now I'm always worried it's going to happen with my Equinox.

I had the same problem and I used JB weld plastic epoxy and used the broken tabs epoxied to the stiffener then epoxy it back to the coil working great !
The stiffener I used was on eBay it’s very beefed up and literally almost snaps in place .
Mark

Attachments

• 1973391D-0C5A-4C8F-8E2E-612BC90D9D64.jpeg
    1973391D-0C5A-4C8F-8E2E-612BC90D9D64.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 214
  • 53C70AC1-9C0A-4BCB-B6D7-263F00FAC9FD.png
    53C70AC1-9C0A-4BCB-B6D7-263F00FAC9FD.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:
This issue is an ongoing thing with Minelab. Nobody should have to buy coil ear stiffeners. Happened to me with the X Terra. Now I'm always worried it's going to happen with my Equinox.
Mark, thanks for the plug.
dfmike, if you trust me with your coil, I can make them for anything, below is the eureka gold, yes minelab has a problem. To get the most strength you first need to build up the broken ears, I did not have the correct plastic in my plastic welding kit, but it seems the cap to a ball point pen worked well, and a dremmel tool to keep the shape

Bob

Attachments

• 11-22-2021 3-15-40 PM.jpg
    11-22-2021 3-15-40 PM.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 12-1-2021 6-30-45 AM.jpg
    12-1-2021 6-30-45 AM.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 191
Mark, thanks for the plug.
dfmike, if you trust me with your coil, I can make them for anything, below is the eureka gold, yes minelab has a problem. To get the most strength you first need to build up the broken ears, I did not have the correct plastic in my plastic welding kit, but it seems the cap to a ball point pen worked well, and a dremmel tool to keep the shape

Bob
Thanks the method I used has worked flawlessly on two coils it’s really a easy fix.
The coil ears on the nox are of a horrible design I was careful for 3 years never broke one then one day I had my coil off to clean it and saw small hairline cracks from the bolt hole out so I knew it was only a matter of time until they broke so a easy fix it just to epoxy a stiffener on from new I would ..and the JB weld is incredible epoxy on plastic.
Mark

I should also add that if you plan on buying the coilteck for the nox, it too is very flimsy, even more so than the stock coils. I sell those on fleebay as well.

send it back for warranty replacement. Already had 3 replaced

I had four coils break minelab knows but they don’t care that’s why I am switching simplex the legend I always had minelab s bu enough is enough

Unfortunately it seems like the after market coil ear stiffener may be a worthwhile purchase.
But there are so many of these stiffeners online... Which ones actually work ? I'd hate to have the coil ears on my 6" DD Equinox coil break before one year of ownership.

I should also add that if you plan on buying the coilteck for the nox, it too is very flimsy, even more so than the stock coils. I sell those on fleebay as well.
I'm surprised that Coiltek doesn't make them better. They should take example on some third party coil manufacturers. I have a few coils for my Fisher and Teknetics detectors that have a design that will never break unless I smash them against a tree with brute force !

But there are so many of these stiffeners online... Which ones actually work ? I'd hate to have the coil ears on my 6" DD Equinox coil break before one year of ownership.
Use the one I used he makes them both for 6” and 11” they are a perfect fit almost snap in and the ears are super wide beefed up.
Mark

Use the one I used he makes them both for 6” and 11” they are a perfect fit almost snap in and the ears are super wide beefed up.
Mark
Mark, can you PM me so I know what seller you are referring to ? There are dozens online.

I bought the 11 in and the 15 in coil ear stifners from Big Boys hobbies. Service was excellent and the quality seemed to be excellent also.they look like they should do the job quite well. Time will tell.