Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Buying a new truck

I try to do most stuff butt and I may say butt I am 59 and don't want to lay on my back and rip out the transfer cace and transmission to repacle a clutch. Too old . I sold mine to a younger more feeble individual. I just bought a tacoma 2023 nice ride very expensive . My baby shitzu likes it she told me the air is alot better than the limping 1991 so I did it for her and myself. Will pull my boat better 116 hp compared to 278. It was a move that needed to be done. Enjoy life it is so short.
I've got a F 150 4x4 that needs a clutch and slave cylinder also . I'm gonna do it myself ,, might try and rent a trans jack ,, don't want to do enough trans work to buy a jack.
I don't know why they won't make the slave cylinder last as long as the clutch. :rolleyes:

all im hunting is an 80s-90s F 150 or 250 with manual transmission, 4x4 300 straight 6 long bed

I changed trans without a jack, it's not terrible.
I've felt with mother F-ing slave cylinders (internal) MANY times and found the secret to getting the POSs to last is to drain all the fluid and use silicone brake fluid.
I've got a F 150 4x4 that needs a clutch and slave cylinder also . I'm gonna do it myself ,, might try and rent a trans jack ,, don't want to do enough trans work to buy a jack.
I don't know why they won't make the slave cylinder last as long as the clutch. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
all im hunting is an 80s-90s F 150 or 250 with manual transmission, 4x4 300 straight 6 long bed
Late 80s early 90s ford PUs we're complete junk. This from me, my brother and a friend who all owned them and regretted it.. I had nearly 30 things that went wrong in 3 years. (the first and last vehicle I bought new) Good luck if you get one.

Had several straight 300 6s but they were a little later the fuel rails all rotted off but then again i'm in Wisconsin as far as the you tube videos on fixing cars and trucks there vehicle's look brand new when there 10 years old . Every bolt on a Wisconsin vehicle is basically a rivet just cut off with fire wrench and replace . I got a kick out of one you tube where he replaces a front wheel bearing assembly on a saturn vue saying this is a bad one he had to tap with a hammer a couple times (mine i had to take the spindle off and beat it with a maul till I bent my 3/8 plate on the tube with 200 hit's )

The only car that held up to the salt was a vw 2001 and on 12 year rust through warranty the whole car is dipped in zinc and then painted with there 7 layered system have one with 250000 s miles no rust been in the salt since my other died at 423000 miles rip they were all diesels 50 plus miles a gallon .lol sube

Last edited:
Late 80s early 90s ford PUs we're complete junk. This from me, my brother and a friend who all owned them and regretted it.. I had nearly 30 things that went wrong in 3 years. (the first and last vehicle I bought new) Good luck if you get one.
I'd be happy with a 97-98 Z71 4x4 vortex 350 5 speed granny gear tranny. My youngest destroyed mine.
Loved that truck

Had several straight 300 6s but they were a little later the fuel rails all rotted off but then again i'm in Wisconsin as far as the you tube videos on fixing cars and trucks there vehicle's look brand new when there 10 years old . Every bolt on a Wisconsin vehicle is basically a rivet just cut off with fire wrench and replace . I got a kick out of one you tube where he replaces a front wheel bearing assembly on a saturn vue saying this is a bad one he had to tap with a hammer a couple times (mine i had to take the spindle off and beat it with a maul till I bent my 3/8 plate on the tube with 200 hit's ) lol sube
Rust belt here too. My torches are my best friend.
And a can of WD-40 to quench.

i just acquired a 98 ranger a few months ago that hasn't been in salt. frame had light surface rust on it. I pressure washed it and laid about 6 cans of fluid film to the whole underside. Looks like the whole frame has been dipped in grease now

i just acquired a 98 ranger a few months ago that hasn't been in salt. frame had light surface rust on it. I pressure washed it and laid about 6 cans of fluid film to the whole underside. Looks like the whole frame has been dipped in grease now
I picked up a 99 with the 4.0 v6.
Bodies good. Though frame rotted.
Fortunately I have the skills and equipment to rebuild it. Hopefully it doesn't turn into the 6 million dollar truck. 😆

Is frame rotting an issue with the old Rangers ?
I can't find a solid frame here in the rusty belt of NE Ohio to repair it. Fortunately there's a great metal Fab shop nearby who will make the replacement frame rails. Hopefully I can get it done before winter. Have to finish repairing daughters car after hard hit an run. Even bent the struts and steering tierods. Augh ...

frames were made of thin steel, i live in western nc, lots of salt in winter, i found my ranger just outside Knoxville, and found one spot near gas tank i had to fix. I just put a piece of 3/8 flat and welded it. Hard to find one thats isn't rusted out. If you do find one i'd highly reccomend drowning underneath with fluid film

frames were made of thin steel, i live in western nc, lots of salt in winter, i found my ranger just outside Knoxville, and found one spot near gas tank i had to fix. I just put a piece of 3/8 flat and welded it. Hard to find one thats isn't rusted out. If you do find one i'd highly reccomend drowning underneath with fluid film
When I done putting it back together.
I'm planning on blasting whole frame then epoxy primer and then heavy bed liner coat.
Hopefully that lasts.

Late to this party but here goes. I bought what will probably be my last truck in 2019. GMC Sierra SLT crew cab. It was a 2018 model and I bought it as new in March of 2019. Unless I win the lottery or come into a lot of money this truck will last me until I quit driving, I hope. I had my previous truck for 13 years so, if I get 13 out of this one I will be in my 80s or in heaven. My wife drives a 2019 Honda CRV and it should last us along time. IT has about 23,000 miles on it and all maintenance is done at the Honda dealer. They guarantee the drive train as long as we own the car and have it serviced at their shop.
Oh. I do have one other car that is just a play toy.

20230414_131252.jpg

Late to this party but here goes. I bought what will probably be my last truck in 2019. GMC Sierra SLT crew cab. It was a 2018 model and I bought it as new in March of 2019. Unless I win the lottery or come into a lot of money this truck will last me until I quit driving, I hope. I had my previous truck for 13 years so, if I get 13 out of this one I will be in my 80s or in heaven. My wife drives a 2019 Honda CRV and it should last us along time. IT has about 23,000 miles on it and all maintenance is done at the Honda dealer. They guarantee the drive train as long as we own the car and have it serviced at their shop.
Oh. I do have one other car that is just a play toy.

View attachment 44927

Now that is a nice play toy many wish they had, this is the years Pontiac made some of the nicest cars . I got to drive a 1967 GTO convertible with a 4 on the floor and a very nice red color with white interior when I work for a Pontiac dealership and said one day I want to have one, but that day still haven't come yet and dont think it will come either and really like to see pictures of the 66 and 67 GTOs.

Now that is a nice play toy many wish they had, this is the years Pontiac made some of the nicest cars . I got to drive a 1967 GTO convertible with a 4 on the floor and a very nice red color with white interior when I work for a Pontiac dealership and said one day I want to have one, but that day still haven't come yet and dont think it will come either and really like to see pictures of the 66 and 67 GTOs.
I'd prefer the firebird with the 400.

Just a thought here. But get on one of those self service junk yards like Pull-a-Part ,, do a search for the truck or car your needing parts for ,, like the frames , etc . You can get that stuff pretty cheap . Odens ,, if you look in areas like here in NC ,, you can find stuff still in good shape, not rusted out , then you'd just have to work out transportation.
A buddy of mine does welding, and he does stuff for different Pull-a-Part places , he was at one in upstate SC , they had gotten in a 2012 or up 4 or 6 cyl Mustang with a blown motor , they said he could get the whole car for 1500 bucks ,, he said the car looked brand new , inside and out .

If you don't mind doing the work , you can keep older vehicles in good shape going for a while. As soon as I get home , and get settled, I'll be pulling a motor from a 2010 f150 Platinum, 4x4, 6inch lift , very good shape ,, but I'll be putting on new heads and timing chain and gears. That'll get another 150,000 miles out of her ,, hopefully.

Just a thought here. But get on one of those self service junk yards like Pull-a-Part ,, do a search for the truck or car your needing parts for ,, like the frames , etc . You can get that stuff pretty cheap . Odens ,, if you look in areas like here in NC ,, you can find stuff still in good shape, not rusted out , then you'd just have to work out transportation.
A buddy of mine does welding, and he does stuff for different Pull-a-Part places , he was at one in upstate SC , they had gotten in a 2012 or up 4 or 6 cyl Mustang with a blown motor , they said he could get the whole car for 1500 bucks ,, he said the car looked brand new , inside and out .

If you don't mind doing the work , you can keep older vehicles in good shape going for a while. As soon as I get home , and get settled, I'll be pulling a motor from a 2010 f150 Platinum, 4x4, 6inch lift , very good shape ,, but I'll be putting on new heads and timing chain and gears. That'll get another 150,000 miles out of her ,, hopefully.
Love to see some pics of that.