Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can anyone identify

Spider-F5

This vintage Garrett detector? A buddy of mine acquired it today and sent me a picture of it. I personally have never seen one like it before and am curious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

F5

1655519065442.jpeg

I had one almost exactly like this one back in the 1980's. It was a Garrett Deep Seeker. This was a great detector and I found a lot of CW relics with it. This was built like a tank and went deep. Garrett still makes quality detectors, although I don't believe they are built as tough as these units were with the metal box housing. Great to still see some of these around.

That would be fun to play around with. So would a BFO unit,
We really have come a long way on detectors.

In the 1970s,Garrett usually put the models name on the front of the control box where the coil connector is.
Its about a '76 or 77 Deepseeker VLF/TR with the retune button. The following year had a dual mode switch and it was called the ADS Deepseeker and an auto tune was added. (they also put a plastic
connector on the rod end and had separate disc and ground balance. (the one above has 1 control to double for both) I used with one and sold them like crazy. It was built like a tank. (6-9 volt batteries)

Lots of fond memories from when I purchased this ADS Deepseeker in 1977 from Garrett Dealer here in Perth Western Australia. Took it gold prospecting. Was fun to use in the Goldfields over here.
It also served me well as a coin detector for a fews years.
I kept it because I could and because it can still find.
1686804753472.jpeg

I purchased the Hunter ADS 2 with the sharp shooter coil around 2013 because it was going quite cheap and was just curiouse to see what it did by comparison to the Deepseeker
1686805401248.jpeg

IMG_8094.jpg

In general, I think they are still ok to detect with even in these times but nothing like the more light weight a multi tone detectors of today.

Attachments

• IMG_8095.jpg
    IMG_8095.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1686805371574.jpeg
    1686805371574.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
Last edited: