Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can I still find a coil

Waterdog

I have a Minelab Excalibur 800 I bought in 1998 and was wondering, Can I still find a coil for it, or does anyone still work on them ?

What's wrong with your coil?

You can replace the cable if that's what it needs.

They stopped making them years ago. A new one is very hard to find.

They stopped making the 8" coils.

You can still get 10" coils. Or multiple different aftermarket coils available like tvr said.

What's wrong with your coil?

You can replace the cable if that's what it needs.

They stopped making them years ago. A new one is very hard to find.

Hi cw3,

I have a Sovereign GT with the 10" tornado coil, but the outer insulation has perished.

Have you successfully replaced the cable on coils yourself? Also, wondering if it's possible to keep the repair waterproof?

I would appreciate any input :)

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    628.4 KB · Views: 28
Hi cw3,

I have a Sovereign GT with the 10" tornado coil, but the outer insulation has perished.

Have you successfully replaced the cable on coils yourself? Also, wondering if it's possible to keep the repair waterproof?

Try this thread by Mel Parker with some details added by others:

OBN has some videos. Find a replacement cable, open your old one up so you have acces to the wires, cut them maybe one at a time as you solder the new wires in place, cover with heat shrink with internal glue. Take a pill bottle, cut the bottom off, slide it over the new cable, down to the coil. Make sure it covers those heat shrinks. Get some twist mix epoxy putty from Lowe’s (sprinkler pipe section). Mix a small amount to seal the pill bottle to the coil. Fill the bottle with long set epoxy. Wire the cable in and you’re done!

I have a Minelab Excalibur 800 I bought in 1998 and was wondering, Can I still find a coil for it, or does anyone still work on them ?
Look for an 8 inch coil from a Minelab Sovereign X P Pro It should work I had My Old 8 inch coil for My Excalibur 800 replaced about 2 years ago with the 10 inch coil ,It's thinner and weights less. My Old 8 inch coil ( is Still Good ) the coil wires were dry rotting. I need to try to find the Good Shrink wrap and the paste , I believe Old Beachnut said to buy, I do not need to cut any wires

Look for an 8 inch coil from a Minelab Sovereign X P Pro It should work I had My Old 8 inch coil for My Excalibur 800 replaced about 2 years ago with the 10 inch coil ,It's thinner and weights less. My Old 8 inch coil ( is Still Good ) the coil wires were dry rotting. I need to try to find the Good Shrink wrap and the paste , I believe Old Beachnut said to buy, I do not need to cut any wires
It might have been ? Minelab Sovereign X S Pro I must be getting ( ? Wiser ? ) goldnugget

Just seen this post, there's an excalibur here in the UK on an auction site, has original coil but the cable has been cut through. Also in the pic is an equinox coil, bought as a replacement, I did ask the seller what made him think it would fit/work and he replied that it was shown on YouTube!!!

Hi cw3,

I have 2 10" coils and 2 8" coils waiting for repair. I just haven't gotten to them yet.

I'll post some pictures from OBN.

I attached the epoxy and cable he uses.

Attachments

• coil repair.jpg
    coil repair.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 35
  • coil cable.png
    coil cable.png
    681 KB · Views: 37
  • weld epox.png
    weld epox.png
    433 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for the tips Guys @tvr @bklein @cw3

The little internal wires were all intact, and I still had a little it of the old outer insulation coming from the coil end (since it was covered by the solid flexy nut).IMG_0413.jpeg
I ripped off all the other crumbly black insulation, leaving the four small wire strands.IMG_0411.jpeg
I cut the four internal wires about 100mm apart close to the plug end, and threaded some double walled heat shrink cable over the full length (in two parts).
First part of the heat shrink got heated on right up to the coil, so that it covered the tiny bit of remaining outer shell.IMG_0414.jpeg
then I slid the second part of heat shrink over the part i just installed whilst I reconnected the four little wires (100mm apart so that there wasn't one big weak clump of joins).IMG_0416.jpeg
then slid the second heat shrink back all the way to the plug end, this still left about 100mm overlap in the middle.
I'm quite impressed with myself the way it ended up looking, and hopefully should still be waterproof. (hopefully the original cable is water tight where it enters the coil casing)

If your not using it near water that cover should be fine. But keeping it 100% water proof could be a issue. I would give it a new cable, sealing the area where the coil wire goes into the coil is very important. And really not that hard. I think Mel Parkers pictures explain how the best.

1. Remove the pigtail fitting
2. Cut and trim coil wires
3. Mel uses PVC which can be heated and shaped to make a containment area
4. Use two part epoxy to attach it to the coil, make sure it is sealed at the base
5. Connect all your coil wires to the new cable, and seal each connection
6. Push all connections into the contained area
7. Mix up a small amount of 15 minute Epoxy, pour into the containment area
8. Let dry for 24 hours, than top off with a final pour of the epoxy if needed.
9. You can mix a black dye with the epoxy if you want during step 7, or you can paint the connection black.

Now you have a 100% water proff coil connection.

OBN004.jpg

OBN0047.jpg

OBN0048.jpg

The cable I used which you can get from McMaster Carr.. Make sure it is .26 to .24 inches in dia
OBN-0005.jpg
OBN0013.jpg