Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chatter Nox 600

lower case g

Hello, new to posting here. I just got my Nox 600 today (ordered it yesterday from Big Boys Hobbies, wasn't expecting to get it so quick). Anyway, I can't seem to get mine to stop chattering for very long. It will be fine, then the chatter starts. Lifting the coil into the air, or changing detect modes will stop the chatter for a bit, but it returns. I have done a factory reset, ground balance, and noise cancel. The chatter just keeps coming back. I found a video that showed putting your cell phone in airplane mode helped, but even shutting mine off doesn't do anything. I just wanted to ask here for suggestions before I contact Minelab. Thanks!

Edit: Also, I turned sensitivity down to 6, and it still chatters. All my other detectors are fine in the same soil.

Oh Lord, I think your about to meet the Guvner. Try turning down your recovery speed. Raise your iron bias.

My 600 occasionally does that, and I just turn it off, then right back on again.
It seems to help for a while.

I'm hoping an update will fix this (and a few other bugs).

It 'feels to me' more like EMI than ground noise, (on mine anyway).

If it continues, and/or gets worse, it might something like a defective coil...and that means a trip back to ML.
Good luck,
mike

Ok, recovery speed 1, iron bias 2, sensitivity 15 seems to have stabilized it enough to hunt my back yard. I still wouldn't call it "stable" though, at least not compared to my e-trac. I will be visiting my parents this weekend for Mothers day, so will try it out in their yard. Thanks for the help, guys! I really wanted input from people before i called Minelab and had them tell me my settings were just off.

Be sure your coil cable is velcro'd down about 6" above the coil. If it's loose and wiggling the coil will pick it up. Had that happen to me.

Architex said:
Be sure your coil cable is velcro'd down about 6" above the coil. If it's loose and wiggling the coil will pick it up. Had that happen to me.

Hmm. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought about that. I left a bit of slack in the cable there, so i could shift the coil back and forth. I will play with that and see if it helps. Another problem I now have is when I try to register it, minelabs site says "serial number entered could not be registered". The number on the box matches the number on the control box, but neither those nor the number on the coil will work. I bought it from a reputable dealer, one of the sponsors of this site, so I don't think it's a knock off.

Have you tried it in multiple locations? Some EMI does hit the EQX really bad. There are places I have found I can't hunt because the EMI is too bad, across all channels and noise cancel does nothing.

Are you carrying your cell phone? This can cause some serious chatter. If so, put your phone of airplane mode and the chatter will stop. Reducing the sensitivity will also help.

About registration: you probably are using the wrong date. try the date on your receipt from the dealer, not the date you received the detector.

My detector has been back to Minelab twice. If it goes back to Naperville, IL, turn-around is only 9 days, they will send you a call tag.
Use the 630-401-8150 phone number, have your SN ready. To send it back you will need the original packaging including the brown over wrap carton.
They will ask for EVERYTHING to be returned. Super Service to say the least!

WaterWalker said:
About registration: you probably are using the wrong date. try the date on your receipt from the dealer, not the date you received the detector.

My detector has been back to Minelab twice. If it goes back to Naperville, IL, turn-around is only 9 days, they will send you a call tag.
Use the 630-401-8150 phone number, have your SN ready. To send it back you will need the original packaging including the brown over wrap carton.
They will ask for EVERYTHING to be returned. Super Service to say the least!

No, use the date you received it or the date it shipped to you. There are a lot of us who ORDERED them last year. Are you going to register away 6 months of warranty when you didn't actually have it?

Who is sending a minelab to Ill? There hasn't been a repair center there in many years. you DO NOT need the orignal box and especially dont need the factory box and shipping over box. Unless your problem is will a rod, you don't need to send those end. Pack up the control head and coil and ship it off, thats all they need.

I just got an E-mail from Minelab in short there is a problem with the registration on line service Today May 11. I quote:

"Hello Rick,

We are actually having issues with our system and registration. "

On a previous E-mail from Minelab about two returns I have had One on March 19 and the second on May 1. Again I quote:

"Richard,

First, I am very sorry about the problem you are having with your Equinox. We will get this all taken care of for you.

You will be receiving an email from UPS with a link to a shipping label to send the detector back to us. Please do not send the detector in the original box only. Please have it shipped inside of another box. On the outside of the box please write RMA##### ATTN: TRACY JOHNSON."

##### replaced the original numbers.

You can reduce the chatter by INCREASING your recovery speed. Recovery speed lengthens the tones which mean you hear them longer ...... the more tones obviously the chatty it will sound with a low recovery speed. Same way....... if you want to run a bit more sensitivity you can increase your recovery speed to off set it. I cant run mine above 10 at my house...... but it functions properly on a beach or park. Underground lines for me. Try auto GBing instead of the 0 default. With default as the minerals change so will the chatter if you have a lot of mineralization.

I thought for sure Architex had solved my problem. Played with it a bit on my lunch break, but moving where I had the wire velcro'd to the shaft didn't help any. Cell phone on airplane mode, off, or left in the house doesn't make any difference. It may just be my back yard. I will try it at a few different sites this weekend.

If you are detecting close to an air conditioning unit they will drive my detector crazy. Not a Nox but still a minelab. I was given permission to detect a lot and the A/C kept me from being able to detect. It did not matter what i did to the detector.

When I first got my Equinox 800, I charged it and went to a park with my Quick Start Up guide. I did all 4 steps

1 Turn on
2 Select detect mode
3 Noise cancel
4 Begin detecting

After about half an hour I wanted to wrap the thing around a tree. I couldn't stand all the noise. I never read the manual that didn't come with it. I came home FRUSTRATED. THEN I read the manual online. SENSITIVITY was way too high for the area I was in. Went back and turned it down to 18 and I was happy as a lark!!

In my home and yard I had to turn the sensitivity down to 10. I know I lost depth but I bought it for parks and the water mainly anyway. Hope this helps.

From the horses mouth. Debbie from ML said if you think you know the source of EMI / RFI point the coil at
the source & do a noise cancel. This includes other detectorists ! ( at BONE 2018 )
Sadly almost anything electric/electronic can cause it in any detector. A good demo is take an AM radio
around the house & get it near things. You will find all kinds of hot spots you cant use the radio.
Best test is take the MD out away from everything like a big field. See how it behaves. If you get chatter
back off the sensitivity till it just goes away. I have to run my Safari at 15 to quiet it but depth is still good.
ML doesnt tell us much but I assume FBS selects a group of the quietest freqs. to work. MIQ on NOX
probably shifts the fewer freqs to get the quiet spots. So noise cancel looks for the best S/N ratio to operate on.

HH Tom
LFOD !

Just hunted my parents yard, about 30 miles from where I live. It was almost night and day. Much more stable, was able to turn sensitivity up, and change some of the other settings I had turned down to hunt my yard. Not sure what it is, but the problem just seems to be my yard.

lower case g said:
Just hunted my parents yard, about 30 miles from where I live. It was almost night and day. Much more stable, was able to turn sensitivity up, and change some of the other settings I had turned down to hunt my yard. Not sure what it is, but the problem just seems to be my yard.

By any chance do you have an electric underground dog fence or your neighbor have one?