Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

chattery ctx salt water

I just used my ctx out in the surf today for the first time and it worked fine no chatter unless the waves crashed over which is normal but when I cam out of the water and was in the wet sand it was really chattery when I moved up higher in the beach it was quiet and worked fine again and when i move back to the water it is chattery until i get the coil fully submerged about 5-6 inches. Is this normal?

Couple questions.......are you running in Auto or manual Sensitivity? And are you using the SeaWater mode? HH Randy

auto +3 and salt water mode is on. I thought I may have been hitting patchy black sand and i put the sens down to auto -3 and it still did it.

Here is a post I made on a very similar sounding problem with my CTX.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1946499
After contacting Minelab and doing further testing, they requested I send mine in to be checked out, they will recieve it tomorrow.
With luck I'll have some feedback on what they think the problem is.....

Cliff

cool i think i will call them tomorrow and see what they say also.

It might be a problem with your CTX 3030, as nagov suggest. But when you are using SeaWater mode, try running the highest manual Sensitivity that you can, without chatter. The reason, as I understand it, is because the sand on most salt water beaches is so lightly mineralized that Auto Sensitivity has a problem finding a baseline. HH Randy

Get out of auto and go to manual 28. You may even be able to go up to 30. Beach mode- Seawater on- and manual sensitivity. HH :minelab:

coil cover has been cleaned ive checked in manual sens it still does it :( I can go up to 30 but once the coil gets wet it chatters away.

Thinking it could be a faulty coil. Calling minelab to try and get it tested ASAP.

I have the same problem plus a few more, sending mine in Monday for repair or replacement :(

So what was the resolution for these issues with these coils? I have same problem now...coil comes out of water and chatters for a bit...also when touching wet seaweed

I've hunted with mine in Myrtle Beach many times and have never had it to chatter unless
I tried to go over 28 on sensitivity. Seawater on, deep on in white sand, deep off in hard wet
areas near water and in water, REMOVE COIL COVER......Unbelieveable how much rust and
other crap can get in the cover. Have never liked the fit of these covers. The one and only thing
I dislike about the 3030.

P.S.

Truthly, I think you are getting water in the coil line at the point where the wire bends into the
coil itself.

QUESTION: When you leave beach, wash it off, let it dry, then go out detecting on dry land does
it chatter then if you turn up the sensitivity and if so, where is your green sensitivity level telling you
sensitivity should be set?

On the cee tee ex, turn off seawater once out of seawater.
If on dry sand use manual and to a level just when it stops spurious noises.
The BBS and FBS systems often try to [over compensate] for the various layers that are
naturally occurring on beaches.
If using Auto on a well storm bashed beach that has underlying layers of stones and rocks under a foot or so
of sand then the systems try to decipher what is actually there and the detector will false signal.
So work in Manual UNLESS you are confident that you're not detecting over "layers"

Upon further inspection I noticed a small split on coil wire where it goes into coil. It's at the bottom of strain relief. For the price of these coils they should have a better strain relief on coil and heavier duty coil wire. I'm gonna flush out with fresh water then alcohol and let it dry for a day then seal with a plastics epoxy. Hopefully this works.

John

If your cable is split, send it in to be repaired. You are not likely to ever get it waterproofed with home measures. As long as water is getting inside the cable, it has straight access inside the coil and inside the control housing.

Jason in Enid said:
If your cable is split, send it in to be repaired. You are not likely to ever get it waterproofed with home measures. As long as water is getting inside the cable, it has straight access inside the coil and inside the control housing.

Also Jason, I would think that would possibly void his warranty on the coil if he
tried to do anything to it. Best thing he can do is to report the problem to them
now that he has found it and send the coil in for a new one I would think.

Glenn

Ok I guess I'll send it in and see what they say. I thought I heard somewhere that the coils are only warranted for 6 months. Machine is 7 months old but I bought the 17" coil used and have no idea how old it is. I'm gonna send whole machine in as my display is a little loose also. Thanks

John

You need to research the minelab warranty page. You have been told wrong.